I got a hangnail, can I sue Carnival?

Lilmatcat

OK... so I don't have a hangnail and I'm not going to sue Carnival, but what I do want to do is praise one of their employees. While on my cruise on the Freedom this past week I suffered a wicked fall on Lido Deck (and no, I wasn't intoxicated.)

On Tuesday night a bunch of us were gathering for the American Idol finals on the big screen (which was fabulous, by the way!). I went to the ice cream station and was headed back to my deck chair for the start of the show. Unfortunately, the marble area adjacent to the lido bar had just been mopped and none of the usual yellow "Caution" cones were out. When I came around the corner and went to change directions to head toward my seat, I literally went flying as I stepped onto the wet marble. I took a nasty, hard spill -- ripping some skin off my toe and smashing my kneecap into the deck, while wrenching my back in the process.

At the time, none of the Carnival employees noticed what happened, although several guests quickly came to my assistance. I asked the bartender if he could get someone to come clean up my ice cream cone, which was now splattered across the deck -- making a dangerous situation even worse. Someone brought me a bag of ice for my rapidly swelling knee and I sat down to regain my composure.

After a few minutes, I decided I would report the incident to Guest Services. I told them I had a safety issue that I wanted addressed and asked that cones be placed near the wet marble until the floor dried so that no one else got injured. A wonderful lady by the name of Pearl was working and was very professional. She repeatedly offered her sincere apologies that I had been hurt and asked if I needed medical attention. Although I did not feel I needed to see a doctor, I appreciated the offer.

I was very sore after that and was taking Alleve around the clock to help with the swelling and pain. I couldn't participate in our shore excursions to the extent that I had hoped, since we were going jetskiing in Grand Cayman and climbing Dunns River Falls and tubing in Jamaica. Although I was disappointed by this, I really wanted to praise them for their follow-up efforts.

Later that evening, I realized that the Carnival beverage container I had purchased two weeks ago on the Glory also got damaged (it was in my other hand and went flying when I fell). I went back to Guest Services and asked if it was possible to have it replaced. I figured they could put one in my cabin the next day, but Pearl immediately called someone to come to the Gift Shop (even though it was closed at this point) and they went and quickly returned with a replacement.

Over the course of the next few days I received two phone calls in my cabin from Pearl at the Purser's Desk. She was checking to see how I was doing. I said I was very sore and she again offered medical assistance. I told her that more than anything, I just needed healing time (although a massage would have been really wonderful at the time). Obviously I'm not happy that the incident happened in the first place because I believe it could have been avoided and it clearly had a negative impact on my week, but I am very satisfied with the compassion and concern which I received after reporting it to Guest Services.

So, thank you to Pearl for a job well done!

I would write a nice letter to Carnival Guest Relations about Pearl and what has happened to your knee. I can tell you that you probably sprained your knee since you did say you had swelling. Swelling is a sign of serious injury.

At least by writing a letter to them, something will go into Pearls personal record, and it is something she can be proud of.

I would to commend you for not being the type that the minute they get off the ship, all they see are money signs because they fell. I realize that Carnival was at fault for not putting up warning signs, but I know that I have seen employees do that just to have customer move them because they were in the way. Now I am not saying this happened here, but it does happen.

I hope you are feeling better, but I am sorry that it put a damper on your cruise.

Thats one tough hangnail, I am glad to see you have a good attitude about it. Accidents do happen, in our last four cruises we have had our share. The only one that bothered me was on the Triumph when our 10 year old son was with Camp Carnival and cut his knee almost to the bone. When we picked him up he had a tissue on his wound. The staff said it did not bleed that much so it wasn't a big deal. I thought they could have done more. If I was at home, DW would have got stitches, but it is OK, I feel boys need their scars (just not on the face);)

OK... so I don't have a hangnail and I'm not going to sue Carnival, but what I do want to do is praise one of their employees. While on my cruise on the Freedom this past week I suffered a wicked fall on Lido Deck (and no, I wasn't intoxicated.)

On Tuesday night a bunch of us were gathering for the American Idol finals on the big screen (which was fabulous, by the way!). I went to the ice cream station and was headed back to my deck chair for the start of the show. Unfortunately, the marble area adjacent to the lido bar had just been mopped and none of the usual yellow "Caution" cones were out. When I came around the corner and went to change directions to head toward my seat, I literally went flying as I stepped onto the wet marble. I took a nasty, hard spill -- ripping some skin off my toe and smashing my kneecap into the deck, while wrenching my back in the process.

At the time, none of the Carnival employees noticed what happened, although several guests quickly came to my assistance. I asked the bartender if he could get someone to come clean up my ice cream cone, which was now splattered across the deck -- making a dangerous situation even worse. Someone brought me a bag of ice for my rapidly swelling knee and I sat down to regain my composure.

After a few minutes, I decided I would report the incident to Guest Services. I told them I had a safety issue that I wanted addressed and asked that cones be placed near the wet marble until the floor dried so that no one else got injured. A wonderful lady by the name of Pearl was working and was very professional. She repeatedly offered her sincere apologies that I had been hurt and asked if I needed medical attention. Although I did not feel I needed to see a doctor, I appreciated the offer.

I was very sore after that and was taking Alleve around the clock to help with the swelling and pain. I couldn't participate in our shore excursions to the extent that I had hoped, since we were going jetskiing in Grand Cayman and climbing Dunns River Falls and tubing in Jamaica. Although I was disappointed by this, I really wanted to praise them for their follow-up efforts.

Later that evening, I realized that the Carnival beverage container I had purchased two weeks ago on the Glory also got damaged (it was in my other hand and went flying when I fell). I went back to Guest Services and asked if it was possible to have it replaced. I figured they could put one in my cabin the next day, but Pearl immediately called someone to come to the Gift Shop (even though it was closed at this point) and they went and quickly returned with a replacement.

Over the course of the next few days I received two phone calls in my cabin from Pearl at the Purser's Desk. She was checking to see how I was doing. I said I was very sore and she again offered medical assistance. I told her that more than anything, I just needed healing time (although a massage would have been really wonderful at the time). Obviously I'm not happy that the incident happened in the first place because I believe it could have been avoided and it clearly had a negative impact on my week, but I am very satisfied with the compassion and concern which I received after reporting it to Guest Services.

Vickie, you should sue an request that the settlement be that you can take your best friends on a free cruise with an all inclusive bar bill!:eek::D

BTW.... Freddy says Hi!

Vicki.....Good for you and Pearl. I am sorry to hear about the spill you took but things happen in life and we can only judge ourselves and others by how we and they handle it...Your title is funny and I know you well enough that you look at it as it happened let's move on. Missing out on planned activities sux but, Pearl seems to have been on the ball...Send a letter on her just like I am on Tiz and Beverly from the Glory.

See you in October or maybe sooner......

Did you drop the ice cream??

Guess you missed the part where she said after she went down the ice cream went flying (while falling on a wet floor) and she asked to make sure it was cleaned up....;)

Guess you missed the part where she said after she went down the ice cream went flying (while falling on a wet floor) and she asked to make sure it was cleaned up....;)

Actually, I stopped reading...Ridiculous thread/post.

So you were running, so you didn't miss the start of the show?:p:D

They are taking care of you so you don't sue them,but I would imagine that is hard to do anyway.

What type of shoes were you wearing?

What flavor ice cream was it?

STeve

Then after you stopped reading why on earth did you post in it? lazy or just want to be a flamer? This is the type of action I find "Ridiculous". It's not just you so don't take it too personal. It must be a sign of the times with people on here. They can't just skip over a thread they don't want to read. Instead they want to bash the OP and get their jollies off of letting everyone know the(ir) way is THE way to be....

Vick....Sorry you had such a spill, but I really would have accepted the offer of medical attention, you might have sustained damage that might not be evident right now but could affect you at a later date, would have been good to have it all documented. I had something very similar happen to me and I kick myself for not handling it differently.

It is nice you had Pearl to help you, there are still lots of nice people out there who are willing to go the extra mile :)

Probably some kid who knows the parents pass word with not enough constructive things to do.

Hope the OP is feeling better now.

Are you feeling better now? Knees are nothing to mess with. I've been off mine for almost 6 weeks now. I'm back to being able to walk on it without pain but still no running. I agree you should have had them look at it.

Glad they took good care of you. I'm sure they were seriously worried you'd sue. Sounds like they need to do something different with the flooring there. Next time it may not be just a knee that gets injuried.

So you were running, so you didn't miss the start of the show?:p:D

They are taking care of you so you don't sue them,but I would imagine that is hard to do anyway.

What type of shoes were you wearing?

What flavor ice cream was it?

STeve

Reading comp 101 might help you.....;)

Yes, definitely could not compare with the comic books you read:rolleyes: You are obviously a person of great stature......NOT:rolleyes:

Vick, thanks for the nice post....I had no idea that happened to you! Please write a letter for Pearl....being in the service industry, I know only too well that people will tend to write only about the bad things. There will be NO ACCIDENTS on SS5...I am declaring it!;)

"Somebody please reply to this post . . . I want some attention . . . I'm a Drama Queen (or King) and really don't care what anyone has to say to the OP . . . just want someone to reply to MY post." Whew . . . I feel better now . . . lots of people replied to my post."

Said tounge in cheek of course . . . :p

Archived