If You Only Have 1.5 Days in Seattle.....

We got in Thursday early afternoon for our Saturday departure on Golden Princess. After much hemming and hawing, we dissed our original hotel when we got Westin for $85 on Priceline 2 days before we left mainly due to its downtown location.. Also went back and forth on taxi vs. Airport Downtowner bus, shuttle etc. and ended up using A Plus Town Car which was top rate.. they answered my emails and gave us great rates so used them from airport to hotel, hotel to Pier 91 and then back to airport on the 23rd.. No more than a cab (no meter either), prompt service and would use them again anytime we go there.

Westin was nice but IMHO not as nice as some less expensive hotels we've stayed in.. Near Westlake and Pacific Center. Thursday we took monorail from Westlake to Seattle Center/Space Needle, walked around on a beautiful sunny day and then went to IMAX to see Star Wars film -- if you can see that in an IMAX, do it.. $12 pp and well worth it.. we took monorail back to "town", went ot Macy's to get DH a tie he forgot to bring and then to Pacific Center for a wonderful dinner at Thai Ginger (upper level).. very nice atmosphere, great menu, reasonable prices, good wine list - highly recommend.

Next a.m. went to Pikes Place Market and took pics of origianl Starbucks, ooohed and aahhed at all the fresh veggies and gorgeous flowers... lots of street entertainers in the area. Had lunch at Lowell's in the market (fish 'n chips, chowders etc are great) with harbor view.. This is not fancy but food is very good.. get there before 12:30 to avoid rush. Then more browsing before taking elevator to Alaska Way and waterfront for our afternoon Harbor and Locks Cruise (Argosy Cruises has several diff. cruise options in the harbor). We started in Union Lake after short bus transfer.. again a sunny warm day -- went by houseboats, up the Ballard Canal, saw 2 of the Deadliest Catch boats (Wizard and Northwestern - love that show!), thru the locks.. and then into the harbor where there were stunning views of Mt. Rainier... amazing clear day (repeated on Saturday).. Went to Cutter's (near Pike's Market) for dinner. Great seafood and drinks.. a bit pricey but on the water and a special memory place for me so will always go there!! Raspberry mojitos to die for:) . Cutter's shuttle took us back to the hotel.

Saturday a.m. same town car service picked us up at 10:30 and we were on the Golden at 11:30.. basically no traffic issues (nor did we have getting off).

Anyone has any questions I will try to answer!! This was second pre-cruise in Seattle in 4 years and again lovely weather and great food and sightseeing.. Last time stayed at Comfort Suites Seattle Center and recommend that as a great hotel for less if you don't "do" Priceline.. which we don't unless it's a day or two ahead of time..

Where do you get to see the boats from Deadliest Catch? I am a huge fan and it would make my day to see the Northwestern! We will be arriving into Seattle around 11 am on Saturday, June 6th to leave on our cruise June 7th. I wonder if the boats will still be there and what are the times for the Argosy tours? Also, how long are the tours?

Where do you get to see the boats from Deadliest Catch? I am a huge fan and it would make my day to see the Northwestern! We will be arriving into Seattle around 11 am on Saturday, June 6th to leave on our cruise June 7th. I wonder if the boats will still be there and what are the times for the Argosy tours? Also, how long are the tours?

You can tour one of the boats that was in the pilot for the show (I think it's out of service now as a crab boat--they're probably making more--and certainly easier--money now fishing for tourists!) It (and sometimes other boats from the show) can be found at Fisherman's Terminal. The info is at http://www.seastartours.com/.

You can see other working fishing boats there as well. It's also the site of the memorial to local fishermen and women who haven't come home from the sea (proving that "deadliest catch" thing isn't all hype). There's also a good seafood restaurant (Chinook's) and a fish & chips shop, a great fish market (they will pack it to travel or ship it home for you, often cheaper than the markets at Pike Place), and a few other shops.

You might also want to visit the Hiram Chittenden Locks (aka the Ballard Locks) http://www.nws.usace.army.mil/PublicMenu/Menu.cfm?sitename=lwsc&pagename=mainpage, where the freshwater lakes and the Ship Canal meet the saltwater Sound. You can watch lots of boats--commercial fishers and other working boats, and pleasure craft of all shapes and sizes--going through the locks. Depending on when you're there, they have an area where you can look through underwater windows and see the salmon running upstream to spawn. Next to the entrance to the locks is the Lockspot Cafe, a divey little restaurant and bar that have been featured in Deadliest Catch. The Lockspot sells "Deadliest Bar" t-shirts that would be a great souvenier for any fan of the show--and besides, they have great fish and chips, and the salmon chowder is fabulous!

If you go to Ketchikan the Aleutian Ballad does a shore excursion.

Re Deadliest Catch Boats and Cruise: Argosy has several cruises but the one that went on included Lake Union, the Ballard Locks and the harbor.. the Deadliest Catch boats are moored not far from the locks. I think this is a great way to see the houseboats, Gasworks Park (cool sculpture) and if you've never been through the Panama Canal, these mini locks are just the same .... the schedule through May was 1:00 and 3:30 for this "tour" which leaves from the waterfront and I "think" they were adding another for the summer months. You can get schedule at http://www.argosycruises.com.

Several people on the ship did the Bering Sea Crab excursion (we were on Princess) in Ketchikan and loved it if you are a fan!

Re the towncar: They knew what flight we were on so could check re delays.. We called when we landed and they were right outside US Airways aggage claim when we got our bags waiting for us. I emailed them one evening at 10:30 pm EST and had an answer when I got up the next a.m.!

http://www.aplustowncar.com/ Another person we know from the ship used them as well and was very pleased.

Archived