question for past Baltic travelers

When you are visiting any churches on these cruises, be it in St Petersburg or any city, can you go into them wearing shorts.

I am pretty sure certain places will not allow women in with tank tops, and anyone wearing shorts. Is this true in any of the Baltic stops??

I wouldn't wander into these churches/cathedrals in shorts. For example, we were dressed modestly when we visited Tallinn but I really felt that I should probably have had my head covered when we visited Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. It was an odd mix of worshippers and tourists. The Cathedral is active and there was an orthodox priest there chanting and I really felt that a scarf for my head would've been appropriate. We weren't there on a Sunday either so don't expect there to not be any services because it isn't Sunday. If I remember correctly there was also some type of service in the Peter and Paul Cathedral in St. Petersburg.

Do visit these beautiful buildings you will be amazed but yes, wear appropriate (modest) clothing.

My son likes to wear those long shorts that cover his knees. He wore those on our Baltic cruise last year. No problems at all. They are almost the equivalent of capris for women. I think having the knees covered is the key issue.

Just back - it was not warm enough to wear shorts and honestly I did not find the attitude to be as conservative as in Italy. I did not see people wearing shorts but it has more to do with the temperature. I also did not see any notice concerning covering your head or clothing as e have seen in Italy. Tell him to put in some jeans - that is what all of the young people wear there

What I have done when wearing shorts and visiting churches in Europe is to take along one of those sarong wraps that I usually wear to the beach as a skirt/cover-up.

Mine is black so it is a good color for churches and it folds up easily and weighs next to nothing. I just keep it handy in my purse and whip it out and tie it around my waist when necessary.

Archived