from cold to hot

josee

Welll it's almost time for us to leave. We will leave behind a foot of snow and temperatures of freezing porportions. We will be on the volendam on a Christmas Carribean cruise. I thought of leaving our house with our long sleeve clothing and spring jacket (hoping the taxi will already be warm at 5 am!!) My question is wether long sleeve clothing such as sweats or zip-up jackets are necessary on a cruise as I want to pack light. Any other suggestions from experienced cruisers??

We have the same issues. We live in Colorado and will be crusin' from New Orleans over the week of Christmas. We find the lightest jackets we can and wear those from home to airport then put them in the suitcase before checking the luggage. When we return, we pack them until arriving at the our local airport. Then we dig them out of the suitcases and wear them home.

I also pack a lighter something that I can use on the ship, sometimes I tend to be cooler than others when wearing short sleeves.

Marlissa

Thank you for suggestions. I am also wondering if I can rent a box or locker at the airport to store our coats. I don't like losing packing space for useless items that will only remind me of what I leave behind..... Snow! Another 5-10 cm (or 2-4 in) to shovel by tomorow morning! I'm so glad I have a neighbor who will take care of it while we will be away!

I dress in spring-like clothes when we leave on a winter cruise. I usually wear something with short sleeves, but with a lightweight jacket over it (the jacket comes in handy in the evenings and also on the airplane, which tends to be cold). My husband warms up the car before we leave for the airport, and he drops me off right in front of the terminal. He goes and parks the car, and he doesn't mind not having a heavy jacket on while he jogs back to the terminal. I do leave a heavy coat in the car so that when we get back, I can put it on.

Thank you for suggestions. I am also wondering if I can rent a box or locker at the airport to store our coats. I don't like losing packing space for useless items that will only remind me of what I leave behind..... Snow! Another 5-10 cm (or 2-4 in) to shovel by tomorow morning! I'm so glad I have a neighbor who will take care of it while we will be away!

I don tthink you will find an airport with lockers today- sorry to hear about all that snow- Looking forward to seeing sand instead,.

sorry to hear about all that snow- Looking forward to seeing sand instead,.

About a week and a half ago it was so cold here one day the high was 13 well the past few days it has warmed up yesterday it was 55 you have to love California winters.

Bob

I can identify with the cold weather part - we live in the frozen tundra called Saskatchewan and we usually cruise in February to get away from the cold. It is not uncommon for us to leave in -30 degree temps. Last February when we returned we had a biting wind and the air temp was the equivalent of -45 ... guess who's Einstein son forgot to bring their winter jackets to the airport? Right:rolleyes: .

When we leave our home I am the last one to go out the door to the waiting (and warm) taxi and usually dress in a lightweight pair of khaki pants, short sleeve or sleeveless top and a blazer. The blazer is one that I can use onboard for casual dining, and it comes in handy when the air conditioning is a little too cold elsewhere. We've also found some evenings when we want to stroll around the decks the breeze can be quite cool and a light wrap (or blazer) is nice to have. Have a wonderful Christmas cruise - we've never cruised over the Christmas holiday - taken a New Year's cruise, but might consider Christmas for the future. What ship will you be sailing on? Will look forward to hearing all about your trip on your return.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I live in Fairbanks and will be leaving town next Saturday, December 18th, for our holiday cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess, which will be leaving from LA. We've always just put on a few layers and gone to the airport witthout coats. No need to bring parkas! When we get back home we just grab a few things to layer out of our suitcases before going outside the termial.

We even did this for uor Jubilee cruise a few years ago... It was 50 F degrees below zero when we left Fairbanks, was 75 F degrees above when we touched down in Miami 12 hours later. I KISSED the ground! LOL

Taters

Archived