South America - 16 or 20 days?

luvcruisn'

I'm trying to decide between a 16 or 20 day cruise to South America, from Rio de Janeiro to Valparaiso. The 16 day cruise misses Wilhelm Archipelago, the South Shetland Islands and Antarctic Sound. Is this a big difference? The 16 day cruise has a great rate right now.

Thanks for your help.

We did the 16 and it was great. But it has always niggled at me that we missed Antarctica, now the only continent we haven't seen. Certainly cost will be a factor but if we were to do it again it would be the 20. The SA cruise is our second favourite overall second to the Baltic.

We did the 20-day in Jan/Feb 2008. It was absolutely WONDERFUL in Antarctica. Our weather in the Chilean fjords was low clouds. The glaciers looked nothing like the pictures we've seen. We were SO glad that we'd been to Antarctica and not just done the 16-day cruise. This was to have been a 'once in a lifetime' experience, but while there, we knew we had to return. Right now we're planning on 2012....

Rio was one place we didn't have high expectations, but due to our outstanding guide there, we're looking forward to returning there too.

We were with Greg (RevNeal) on this cruise. He has pictures on his website.

We decided that if we were going all the way to Rio it would be crazy not to take the extra 4 days to see Antarctica so we're booked on the Veendam January 10 from Rio to Valpairaso which includes cruising in Antarctica.

We are really looking forward to sailing through part of Antarctica. In another few years legislation will require special engines/fuel to cruise in Antarctica so we are taking the opportunity to go now before the options decline (as many lines will not find it cost effective to redo ships). While we'd love to do a zodiac landing cruise there, it is too expensive so we are doing the 'drive by' and can't wait.

If you want to be inspired, take a look at Rev Neal's photos.

Tina

Go all that way and miss Antarctica? What a waste. The time in Antarctica is the highlight of the cruise, and everything after that is anticlimatic.

By all means, take the 20 day cruise, or wait until you can do the whole thing.

GO for the 20 days....Antarctica is AWESOME to say the least. We went on the 20 day Rotterdam in 2006/07 and have never regretted it. Yes, Antarctica is that special!! Marian

I agree with Ruth C 100%. Antarctica is the highlight of the entire cruise! We went there on the Amsterdam and have ever since referred to it as ''our Antarctica cruise" instead of the "South American" cruise. If you miss Antartica, you miss one of the most spectacular places on the planet.

Earlier today I saw the photo's that RevNeal had re: Antarctica but I seem to have a hard time trying to find the CC thread for your 1/27/08 Rotterdam thread. Any help would be appreciated.

All the photo's were great. We did So. Am. 1/05 and cruised around

Cape Horn. We have wanted to go to Antarctica but I feel now I would

not be able to deal with the Zodiac's. Looking at your photo's I'd be happy to stay on ship and sail around as you did.

I saw the 12/21/09 - Veendam itinerary I will need to check out the 1/20/2010. I'm sure it would be the same.

Could you tell me where to find your 1/27/08 thread so I can match up

the itinerary or let me know what you think of the 2009/2010 itinerary.

I'd appreciate it very much.

Here is the link to the 'Live from..' thread for the 27 Jan 2008 Antarctica cruise.

Since some of us, including Greg, arrived in Rio before Ruth (it is her thread linked above that Greg posted to) the beginning of the trip is here.

This was such a spectacular cruise, that a number of us from this 'Live' thread are planning to return - in 2012.

Mary Ellen

Thank you so much for the info. I have put both sites into my favorites so it's an easy find. Also great for references especially for Rio. due to

what I have heard re: crime. I'm sure it's no different than traveling

anywhere, just knowing where to go and where not to go, etc.

I pulled up the 1/10/2010 itinerary.

When we sailed around Cape Horn our seas looked like yours abd aksi very

windy. May be normal for that area.

Thanks again for your help.

Also great for references especially for Rio. due to

what I have heard re: crime. I'm sure it's no different than traveling

anywhere, just knowing where to go and where not to go, etc.

This is why we went with the private guide. About a month before we departed, DH spoke to someone who had recently return from a conference in Rio. This man knew 22 other attendees who had been mugged. Who knows how many more were mugged that he didn't know about??? Due to concerns about crime, DH would not have left our hotel if we had been on our own. Our guide was SO worth the money and she really wasn't any more $ than the HAL tour - for a FAR better experience and personalized. Ruth and another friend took the HAL Rio tour. Greg, DH and I saw more, had a better time, better meal, and paid $5 less/pp. The cost difference was negligible, but the difference in the quality of the experience - priceless.

Even though we went to Rio only because the ship sailed from there, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We're looking forward to returning - and we'll be using the same guide again.

Archived