sittings

chiper

Thanks for your response. Do you really tip every time you have room service? I read here you tip three dollars for coffee delivery in the morning. I don't care about the three dollars, it's just embarassing standing waiting for someone to set the coffee down so you can press some dollars into their hand. Isn't room service part of the cruise?

For morning coffee? $1 if prompt. For a complete dinner service - $3-5. But as others have said, it is neither required nor expected. You will find that unless you have the $ ready and waiting, they will slip away with a "good day" but narry a backwards glance, so be quick about it if you intend to tip.

For morning coffee? $1 if prompt. For a complete dinner service - $3-5. But as others have said, it is neither required nor expected. You will find that unless you have the $ ready and waiting, they will slip away with a "good day" but narry a backwards glance, so be quick about it if you intend to tip.

Not only have I only had one experience (from ten trips on QM2) of someone "lingering" for a tip, but I have found at least a few times that the staff left the room so quickly I could not have handed them anything.

Our "policy" seems to have developed like this... Tip for drink service in bars as anywhere else. Tip for in-suite meals since this person has one heck of a time to bring the food to our doors and since we will not likely see him or her again. But, again, at a "normal" rate. And, then, we wait until the end of the trip to give something to our wait staff, wine steward, room steward and anyone else we have seen on a day to day basis. USUALLY this turns out to be with someone whom we have come to know fairly well. And the "gift" does not have to be cash, tho that is certainly appeciated. We actually brought a full duffle of clothing to one trip and a bunch of books on another for our cabin steward who has half a dozen growing children at home. We also have gifts we have received from staff members (and friends).

And as I mentioned somewhere else, the positive comment cards are even more valuable to them as they lead to days off.

What was my point again? Oh, yes. It was to agree that there is NO obligation involved in tipping aboard QM2. That is taken care of in your bill. We tip, then, only when we feel that does not cover or when we feel the service was above and beyond. And, even then, we do not always "tip" money.

"Proper" tipping will and should be the last of your worries aboard QM2.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would one TIP if is was not "To Insure Promptness"? Hence the origin of the word. A tip is an influence. How can it be anything else but? I tip the servers and bartenders at my favorite resturant and they always remember my drinks and favorite things. So, the tip has influenced them.

One thing I think the you missed in my posting, and it is something very evident, is that I refered to a tip as an appreciation of the service rendered. I cannot enter the dining room and expect the table I want simply because I ask or because I want it. I need to show how serious I am and influence the decision with a tip.

What a load of nonsense!

That is clearly not the origin of the word seeing as your definition includes an error.

You mean ensure, not insure. If your definition was correct we'd all be calling it a tep!

Archived