sittings

chiper

as a first timer , what are the pros and cons for 1st or second sittings .

any advice would be helpfull

It is really a matter of choice, eat early and you have a lot of the evening in front of you to do whateverelse you choose or eat later having had a relaxed cocktail, eat and chat over dinner and then maybe take in a show or go to one of the late bars for a swift brown & mild. If you are in a warm climate I find it unpleasant to be dressing for dinner at 4.30 when I really want to be sat out chilling. On the other hand 8.30 means that you will eat at about 9pm roughly and that is too late for some. Can't help you to decide but these are a few of my considerations.

I find that my preferrence on seating will depend on the cruise. If it is a port-intensive itinerary, the later seating is much better. We had a 12 day cruise in the Mediteranean with 9 often tiring days in various ports. We got to return from port, relax - maybe take a quick nap or a swim in the pool - and then got ready for dinner. An early seating often makes me feel rushed returning from a day onshore touring.

On sea days - or on a crossing - I would often prefer an earlier dinner. On these days, the meals often become the focal point of the day - especially the formal evenings. So for me, the sooner the evening's events get started the better.

Of course on our next trip, we solved the problem by booking a grille class - so we will be able to adapt as we wish.

I have to agree with the postings previously. We have sailed twice with Cunard, both with 5 or more ports and have experienced both the early and late seating.

For us we enjoyed the later seating, it offers more time to dress for dinner, and the staff in Britannia seemed hurried. The earlier seating, though nice, you can see the servers hustling to get the service completed and out before the next seating.

Also, when coming back from a shore excursion and dining early, not only are you pressed for time to dress and get to dinner, but you will be done with dinner by 8:00pm (20:00). This leaves two plus hours before balls or activities in the Queens Room. We found that after a good meal and a few drinks along with the gentle movement of the ship, we were seeking the comforts of our cabin long before the nights activities. With the late seating, you can proceed directly to the Queens Room and partake in all of the night's fun.

Keep in mind we rarely saw the production shows as these were entertaining but not why were on board. We found the elegance of the entire experience intoxicating. It is all a matter of preference. My suggestion is try one and then come back and try another. Either way, you are sure to have a great time.

The question you have to ask yourself now, will you like dining on the lower main level or the upper level? But that is a whole seperate discussion.

Cheers and happy sailing!

The question you have to ask yourself now, will you like dining on the lower main level or the upper level? But that is a whole seperate discussion.

What are some of the pros and cons of the different levels?

A practice Cunardeers have raised to a fine art.

Gari

Gari

l always thought those in the Grills wrote the book...

Meanwhile those of us in steerage are all equal, well some are more equal than others:rolleyes:

As for wanting to see the shows, well nobody books Cunard for the shows

Personally having stuffed myself at Afternoon tea late sitting has always been my choice

Gari

l always thought those in the Grills wrote the book...

Meanwhile those of us in steerage are all equal, well some are more equal than others:rolleyes:

As for wanting to see the shows, well nobody books Cunard for the shows

Personally having stuffed myself at Afternoon tea late sitting has always been my choice

CQ ; CQ ; CQ; I see you are emerging from your trough of despond sufficiently to book on the new upstart which bears your belovéd boaty's name. 'Ah, how fickle is the heart of man! How changeable, how inconstant.'

A Shocked Gari

Is it possible to have a choice on that one (and if so, how to go about it ...)?

Is it possible to have a choice on that one (and if so, how to go about it ...)?

When you board you will find your dining arrangements on a card in your cabin, it will say table xx, x persons, Britannia Lower or Upper. If you wish to change it you need to be at the Restaurant at 3.25 on the departure day to speak to the Maitre D' who runs all that stuff.

When you board you will find your dining arrangements on a card in your cabin, it will say table xx, x persons, Britannia Lower or Upper. If you wish to change it you need to be at the Restaurant at 3.25 on the departure day to speak to the Maitre D' who runs all that stuff.

Thanks for the quick response. Does the 3.25 apply regardless of departure time? (we're going on a Norway cruise from Hamburg Aug 2010 - not departing until 10.30 pm :( ).

NomdePlume's idea sounds very good too. Any areas on lower level one should avoid? (there's just DH and me, have requested table for 8 for variety of company)

Sorry for the diversion from your original question, chiper. For us the choice of late sitting was easy, as timing of the early one would interfere with several sailaways ;)

I can't think of a particular area to avoid. At any rate, if you dislike your assigned table/area, you should take it up with the Maitre d' as soon as possible and request a change. Don't forget to smile: it works wonders...

On your Voyage Personaliser there is the option to select the upper level on the Optional Special Requests section, if you wish to dine on the upper level for dinner. I agree it is a good idea to have dinner on one level, and then try out the other level at breakfast and lunch if you wish. I personally go for the Golden Lion for lunch, although I do wish they would expand the menu a bit!

A T.I.P. $$$$ has ALWAYS ensured me the table that I have wanted. I walk through the dining room, look for where I would like to sit, then I approach the "Great and Powerful Oz" respectfully and ask nicely if I could possibly have table such-and-such and press the money (never less than $20) into his hand, I get the table I wanted. (I do the same thing when requesting extra pillows in my cabin, and voila! I have three for each person upon which to perch.)

Money, money, money, money -- Money makes the world go around, the world go around, the world go around --- and on a cruise ship, will open another world to you!

Never, EVER, ask a favor on a ship without paying the person delivering it. Word gets around. Staff will leap over other patrons to serve you.

A T.I.P. $$$$ has ALWAYS ensured me the table that I have wanted. I walk through the dining room, look for where I would like to sit, then I approach the "Great and Powerful Oz" respectfully and ask nicely if I could possibly have table such-and-such and press the money (never less than $20) into his hand, I get the table I wanted. (I do the same thing when requesting extra pillows in my cabin, and voila! I have three for each person upon which to perch.)

Money, money, money, money -- Money makes the world go around, the world go around, the world go around --- and on a cruise ship, will open another world to you!

Never, EVER, ask a favor on a ship without paying the person delivering it. Word gets around. Staff will leap over other patrons to serve you.

Nonsense. Complete nonsense. And how crass and vulgar.

Unless, of course, you are trying to wind people up. In which case, well done. You got me.

Are you a friend of Bobgnat?

Tipping is not vulgar. It is an appreciation for service. All service employees live for tips. Tipping is something one SHOULD expect to do in order to insure promptness and favors. I would never assume that an employee would do something for me for free. If you do, that is on you. But when it comes to asking for something from a crew member, I always -- ALWAYS -- remember them with a gift of cash. It is always done, even among the upper classes.

Please, do not insult me my calling me vulgar for paying someone who is helping to make my crossing/cruise more comfortable. I was not name-calling, simply suggesting how "To Insure Promptness" -- T.I.P. -- when requesting someone to work for you.

Since when has cash become vulgar? Even The Queen is selling tickets -- collecting cash -- to see Buckingham Palace!

Tipping is not vulgar. But when it comes to asking for something from a crew member, I always -- ALWAYS -- remember them with a gift of cash. It is always done, even among the upper classes.

Please, do not insult me my calling me vulgar for paying someone who is helping to make my crossing/cruise more comfortable.

I didn't say that tipping was vulgar per se. But trying to buy influence is.

It is also unnecessary.

Why would one TIP if is was not "To Insure Promptness"? Hence the origin of the word. A tip is an influence. How can it be anything else but? I tip the servers and bartenders at my favorite resturant and they always remember my drinks and favorite things. So, the tip has influenced them.

One thing I think the you missed in my posting, and it is something very evident, is that I refered to a tip as an appreciation of the service rendered. I cannot enter the dining room and expect the table I want simply because I ask or because I want it. I need to show how serious I am and influence the decision with a tip.

Archived