Pacific Sun delayed departure tomorrow

P and O have advised us that we will be leaving at 5pm tomorrow instead of 2pm because they need extra time to load supplies for their New Zealand relocation

Glad they are not expecting delayed disembarkation because of fears of swine flu. :):)

Evon.

Thanks, LuckiePuris, that's a beaut photo of the Pacific Sun. She's still a fine looking lady, but doesn't it seem strange to see a cruiseliner without balconies these days.

Cya,

Anna

Exactly what I thought Anna! I'm so used of seeing Pacific Dawn or the other cruise ships, it seems strange to see the tenders at the top of the ship.

Pacific Sun still is a very lovely ship, especially the Theatre. :)

Can someone tell me if the Pacific Sun once had an open Promanade? It looks like it had been 'built in'. Even though I am going on it again next year it isn't my favourite ship with the closed Promanade. Bring back the open Promanades.

Can someone tell me if the Pacific Sun once had an open Promanade? It looks like it had been 'built in'. Even though I am going on it again next year it isn't my favourite ship with the closed Promanade. Bring back the open Promanades.

I have been on the Pac Sun several times and cannot think of any area that could have been an open promenade deck. From what has been said, the Pac Sun (formerly the Carnival cruiselines Jubilee) was built for cruising in the Caribbean. I have heard it said that ships designed for the British market have the traditional open promenade deck, whereas ships designed for the American don't have an open promenade deck.

Evon.

I have been on the Pac Sun several times and cannot think of any area that could have been an open promenade deck. From what has been said, the Pac Sun (formerly the Carnival cruiselines Jubilee) was built for cruising in the Caribbean. I have heard it said that ships designed for the British market have the traditional open promenade deck, whereas ships designed for the American don't have an open promenade deck.

Evon.

yes that is right the lido pool is above promenade deck, if you wlak from the rear show room to the front show room all the bars, cosino, are on the port side and the a very wide hall i mean very wide where you wakl from aft tto the bow you walk though photos stands and painting for sale the into the cosino are then up forward show room , it dosnt sound like much but there is a lot on this deck .ps have a look at the deck plans and google some photos i will look for you and put up some links if you like?

yes that is right the lido pool is above promenade deck, if you wlak from the rear show room to the front show room all the bars, cosino, are on the port side and the a very wide hall i mean very wide where you wakl from aft tto the bow you walk though photos stands and painting for sale the into the cosino are then up forward show room , it dosnt sound like much but there is a lot on this deck .ps have a look at the deck plans and google some photos i will look for you and put up some links if you like?

I can't understand what you mean. I was commenting that I cannot see that this deck (called Promenade deck) was ever an open walkway around the ship. Yes, the only walkway is on the Verandah Deck in the open air. It also doesn't go right the way around the ship. :)

Evon.

Evon.

Who ever said that is misleading you!

:):):):):)

Who ever said that is misleading you!

I read it on some info on the design of cruiseships. From what I know of British people and Americans, I would not be surprised if the British are more fond of the traditional promenade deck.

Evon.

I can't understand what you mean. I was commenting that I cannot see that this deck (called Promenade deck) was ever an open walkway around the ship. Yes, the only walkway is on the Verandah Deck in the open air. It also doesn't go right the way around the ship. :)

Evon.

i never said you could walk around the Promenade deck, one would think if you walk from the rear show room to the front show room you would straight not around the ship. it wasnt realy ment for you,im sorry but no its not open air, you have a pool above, you cabins below you and the walk way is on the starboard side and on the staboard side of the Promenade deck with glass windows on your left thats starboard if you were walking from aft to bow.

P and O have advised us that we will be leaving at 5pm tomorrow instead of 2pm because they need extra time to load supplies for their New Zealand relocation

It must be ready for the Guinness Book of records for the amount of time lost with delays and breakdowns.

i never said you could walk around the Promenade deck, one would think if you walk from the rear show room to the front show room you would straight not around the ship. it wasnt realy ment for you,im sorry but no its not open air, you have a pool above, you cabins below you and the walk way is on the starboard side and on the staboard side of the Promenade deck with glass windows on your left thats starboard if you were walking from aft to bow.

Hi Thied

The original question asked if there had been an open promenade that had been built in. I cannot see that the Promenade Deck of the Pacific Sun could have once been an open promenade that has been built in.

Evon.

Never any open promenades on Pacific Sun... Apart from the changes done in Brisbane last year (moving the Gym, removing the water slide, creating the Oasis, removing the Gazebo etc) and a spruce up and some internal changes when she came to Australia in 2004, she's basically as she was when built as Jubilee.

Jubilee04.jpg

Never any open promenades on Pacific Sun... Apart from the changes done in Brisbane last year (moving the Gym, removing the water slide, creating the Oasis, removing the Gazebo etc) and a spruce up and some internal changes when she came to Australia in 2004, she's basically as she was when built as Jubilee.

Jubilee04.jpg

Nice photo Skyrules :)

Thanks for the replies folks. To me it looked like where the photos are was built over. I had heard the American market don't like the open Proms, I so wish they would bring a ship back with them, like the Pacific Sky. I spent hours out there reading and blobbing out. Mind you, I am biased about the Sky. An oldie but a goodie I reckon. When we went on the Sapphire from Melbourne to Auckland it was too cold to sit out on the prom deck, but you would think a ship going round the islands constantly should have one. Bitch over for today, off shopping now.:D

We cruised to Alaska on the Jubilee (now the Pacific Sun) and she was as shown in the postcard. No outside promenade.

Re change of name of ships - I believe it is an old sea-faring tradition that it is bad luck to change the name of ships. Cruise ships seem to have their names changed regularly so if it is bad luck, then there would be an awful lot of 'cursed' ships. :D I have read (but cannot personally guarantee) that the 'get around' this by keeping the original ship's bell with its original name inscribed. This is on the bridge.

Evon.

Jubilee04.jpg

The only other work on her when came down was the change of the funnel shape and the addition of the ducktail to her stern so she could cope with the rough ocean waters off the Australian Coast ,rather than the calm Caribbean she was built for.

po_p_sun.jpg

jubilee.jpg

Archived