Report on 2.5 Gallon Bags for Packing

Lynda90

After reading many praises of the 2.5 gallon plastic bags, I decided to try them on my 11/27 cruise. I folded items carefully and placed them in the bags. Then pressed all the air out of them prior to closing them. Very nice and compact and easy to see where everything was. When I got to my destination - LA - and started to unseal the bags - guess what I found? A real mess! Almost everything that came out of those bags looked like wrinkled rags. Luckily for me, with Elite status I was able to take advantage of the pressing feature. I filled 2 laundry bags full of my stuff from the 2.5 gallon bags and out they went. When I packed for home, I did not use the bags and I was able to fit everything in my suitcases just fine. What the bags are good for are undergarments, night clothes and miscellaneous things you don't care about getting wrinkled. So, I will never use them again for my packing. Of course that's IMHO for whatever it's worth.

Lynda,

I too used them for the first time on our 11/27 cruise. I did not press all the air out - just most of it - taking care not to crunch the clothes and that worked fine. I pressed all air out when using for things wrinkles would not affect. For ironed clothes, when not pressing all the air out, they do not save any space. However, you can accomplish a couple of other things - easier for security people to rifle thru your luggage and keep clothes dry if your luggage sits in the rain. Having them along was great for packing dirty clothes at the end of the cruise. With no concern for wrinkles, I was able to make space for what we bought and damp bathing suits were kept from dry things.

Julie

I absolutely LOVE using these bags! I started using them after I got tired of having security people rummage through everything.

Here's the key though. Take like clothing, for instance, 4 T-shirts. Lay them out on a surface, one on top of another. Pick up the pile and fold all 4 in half long-way, together. Now sort of fold up from the bottom. This will be more like a rolling than a fold (because it is thick). Place them into a bag and push out SOME air. Repeat this with shorts, tops, and even slacks. I am amazed how wrinkle free my stuff ends up. The key is to fold things together...not sharp folds. Do not fold each article separately, but treat 4-5 pieces as one shirt, etc.

On the way home, I repack differently. All dirty clothes go in 2-3 bags with all the air pushed out. The rest goes into the other bags. When I unpack I just grab the dirty ones and throw them into the laundry basket. The rest gets put away...no sorting needed!

Janet

I absolutely LOVE using these bags! I started using them after I got tired of having security people rummage through everything.

Here's the key though. Take like clothing, for instance, 4 T-shirts. Lay them out on a surface, one on top of another. Pick up the pile and fold all 4 in half long-way, together. Now sort of fold up from the bottom. This will be more like a rolling than a fold (because it is thick). Place them into a bag and push out SOME air. Repeat this with shorts, tops, and even slacks. I am amazed how wrinkle free my stuff ends up. The key is to fold things together...not sharp folds. Do not fold each article separately, but treat 4-5 pieces as one shirt, etc.

On the way home, I repack differently. All dirty clothes go in 2-3 bags with all the air pushed out. The rest goes into the other bags. When I unpack I just grab the dirty ones and throw them into the laundry basket. The rest gets put away...no sorting needed!

Janet

I'm going to try this technique when packing this Wednesday.

Minette

OK, I admit it, I squeezed the life out of these bags. I may give them another try using some of the suggested methods. Thanks for the great suggestions. That's what's so wonderful about this board--so many good suggestions.

I have to wait until after Christmas to pack for the finale time. I am going to try this this time. I keep hearing so, have to just try it for myself. I've always used the 2 gal. for shampoo and such to prevent leakage.

I also couldn't bring my self to use my frilly stuff after having had security people rummage through them:(

I must be doing something right as we have never had anything wrinkled when we unpack. I do not totally squeeze ALL of the air out though, so that may be the key.

We started using them because of security going through our things also and it really helps there. Plus for pre-cruise stays we could see what was in each bag and didn't have to rifle through everything to find what we were looking for and ending up having to repack everything at the hotel.

I have to admit, I have never had to iron anything once on the ship, it keeps everything pretty wrinkle free.

Of coarse I do unpack the bags and hang everything up once I get onboard and that also helps to have the clothes ready for you a day or two later.

Much easier to pack to go home, keeps the dirty clothes away from the clean ones.

I just interleave the bags dresses come in from the department store of from the cleaners between every few layers of clothes and never have wrinkles. The reason is works is because it reduces the friction between the items.

I think that's what its all about.

I noticed that in our garment bag laundered shirts I'd left in the dry cleaners bags were just fine, shirts between those ones in the bags were fine too. But shirts without plastic on both sides were wrinkled.

As far as the big ziplocs go we use them mainly for organization purposes. I think it makes it easier to pack and DW really likes the idea of TSA being able to look through her luggage and not mess stuff up.

What the bags are good for are undergarments, night clothes and miscellaneous things you don't care about getting wrinkled.

This is exactly what I use the 2 1/2 gallon bags for when I pack. The good clothes go in dry cleaner bags which also work well for keeping down on the wrinkles.

thanks for the tips, all. i am cruising in two weeks; thus, i just bought 3 boxes of 2.5 gallon bags yesterday. i too was intent on "squeezing the heck" out of the bags; but, thanks to y'all, i leave enough air in the bags so as not to wrinkle the daylights out of our clothes. :rolleyes:

well, we've been using ziploc bags for YEARS. They work great when packing my husbands LeTigre/type shirts but what I've done the past few trips is take a pair of pants laid out and 2-3 shirts folded up then fold/roll the pants around the shirts and put them all in one bag...works really well. Using the plastic from the cleaners that Chris mentioned also works well folding his suit and vest (I'm trying to wean myself off the added garment bag/suitcase) for minimal wrinkles. I think that when the 'folds' aren't too sharp there's less chance of wrinkling!

When we pack to go home I just put all the dirty stuff in one bag and the clean in another...save the ziplocs for the next trip! :p

I just interleave the bags dresses come in from the department store of from the cleaners between every few layers of clothes and never have wrinkles. The reason is works is because it reduces the friction between the items.

I dry-clean almost all of our clothing, and that's what I do. It works pretty well, but even then shirts and blouses might need a bit of a touch up. Everything else survives pretty well. I only use zip-locks for the things the OP describes, as well as shoes, toiletries, and all the other miscellaneous stuff that ends up in our suitchases.

With or without the bags, I've found that it's the rolling that minimizes wrinkles, and saves on space as well. I learned this from Ann McAlpin's Pack It Up video which I ordered many moons ago thru the Holland America web site. The run time for her video tape is only about 30 minutes, but it contains invaluable techniques for packing efficiency and wardrobe planning. A must view for any traveler.

If it's not available thru HA's web site, you might try Googling her name or the video title.

Archived