Staying Down Town La

pitcairn

The Wilshire Grand is a fine hotel. Just a question-Why are you staying in Downtown LA? I prefer the Bonaventure, with it's great views and hipper night life. The Wilshire Grand is old world elegance.

No matter where you stay, make sure you eat at the Pantry, just down the street. Oldest continuously opened restaurant in LA. Nothing fancy, just great steaks, chops, and breakfast. Very reasonable prices. Lines have been known to be around 2 blocks, so take your patience with you. You never know who you may see in line. Lot's of "who's who" people eat there.

A place for lunch where the food is really good and reasonably priced in downtown LA is Sam's HofBrau on Olympic. They have exotic dancers, which is not my style, but I have frequent business meeting there. I am in the logistics business and there are several trucking companies and the produce market within 4 blocks. I have been eating there for almost 25 years, if that says anything.

Greatam

thanks for the info on the wilshire and eating, thought that away from the beach life would be good after the cruise and as the wife and friends will

hove the shopping bus we were told that area was the place to stay and

the wilshire was pulled out of the hat

greetings from Scotland

Are you on a package tour??? What shopping bus are you talking about???

Rodeo Drive is about 15 miles (or more) to designer shopping. Long, crappy bus ride.

If shopping is the reason you are staying in downtown LA, I would move to the Century City or Beverly Hills area. Away from the beach, but MUCH closer to shopping, great restuarants, sightseeing, etc. In downtown LA, the only shopping that is available are the new "malls" (real rip off's IMHO) attached to the hotels and the garment district. But the garment district is mostly restricted to who you know to get in. And like most businesses, M-F.

I was born and raised in LA, and go back VERY frequently on business (every 2 weeks), so if I can help, let me know what you really want from your trip.

Gina

I live in Venice, 12 miles west of downtown L.A. and personally prefer the Wilshire Grand over the Bonaventure. But I prefer old world over steel and glass modern. My favorite downtown hotel is the Biltmore. You should have a nice stay. There is good shopping along Flower and Figueroa streets along with several excellent restaurants.

Steve Hayes

Thinking of staying at the wilshire grand down town LA after miami / la panama canal any one, any views on this hotel :) or :mad:

Steve thanks for the input but the bitmore looks a bit wee grand for

just a three day stay , we hope to be out and about most of the time

talking of out and about how safe are things on a night in down town LA

would you know of any area to keep clear of

Also any thoughts on getting from cruise port to hotel for five adults ???

i think that a limo would work out at the best value

thanks again from Chilllyyy Scotland

P@P

Gina thanks for the input

my fingers were faster on the ket board then my brain, my thread should have said shopping bug not bus (sorry)

we will be shopping (my wife will) and taking in the sights that are on offer but we are not into mickey mouse things, a decent clean hotel in an ideal location is what we need

thanks again from the home of golf

Just a few notes:

If you stay in downtown LA at any of the hotels mentioned, you will be right down the street from Staples Center. Basketball (LA Lakers), concerts, or conventions may make the area VERY crowded. Down town LA has a LOT of very seedy areas, especially at night. And there is not much to do. Really trying to figure out why you are staying there. Downtown LA is NOT like any other downtown area-Chicago, NY, San Francisco. It is really geared much more toward business. A lot of things close about 6:00PM. Hardly anyone walks on the streets except from restuarant to car, hotel to car. Other than Chinatown and Olvera St and the historic LA train station, most of the things it sounds like you would be interested in are further to the West. I personally think you would enjoy the Beverly Hills/West LA/Century City area more. Hotel prices are about the same. Most of the museums and attractions are in this area.

Here is a link to Chinatown, just north and slightly east of your proposed hotel.

http://www.chinatownla.com/

Here is a link to Olvera St., the original Los Angeles-just about straight East of your hotel.

http://www.olvera-street.com/

This might interest you. I don't know, do Scottish people do tea like the Brits? If nothing else, great mansions to see. But again, they are mostly to the West.

http://www.laadventures.com/TeaTime.html#HuntingtonTea

Here is the calendar from the LA Times. Lots of info about gallery openings, museums, festivals, etc.

http://www.calendarlive.com/

General LA information

http://losangeles.citysearch.com/section/attractions/?ulink=home__yp_16___section__1

Enjoy!!!

Gina

In all honesty there are very few reasons to be walking in downtown Los Angeles at night. As Gina said it is all but deserted after about 6 pm. Even though I stay in one of the grand hotels downtown once in awhile it is not for the enjoyment of taking walks but to use the facilities of the hotel. Because it is so deserted at night it is not recommended to walk around for safety issues. Now if you want to use the hotel as a base and go and do sightseeing during the day into Hollywood, China Town, Olvera Street, Beverly Hills and the like (all within a 10-30 minute drive) and then use the hotel facilities at night I can understand. The Biltmore has a very nice High Tea which you can make reservations for whether you stay at the hotel or not. It is a little Americanized but still very civilized and in a beautifully decorated hall.

As far as transportation goes there is Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle which transport you by vans. You can make reservations through the internet. Cabs are very expensive. There are some private limo services but 5 people and their luggage would be difficult.

Off topic but I can not refuse. My family roots are from Scotland and their surnames are Richardson and Baxter. My grandparents were from Lanark in the Lanarkshire region and South Queensferry in the Edinburgh region. They came to the States in the early 1920's. My grandfather became a Presbyterian Minister and my grandmother was a sunday school teacher. I visit Britain and Scotland about every five years or so and still have many relatives scattered throughout the region.

The end of January, 2005 I will be going to the annual Burns Supper.

Even though I am old now, I miss my grandparents calling me a young lad and master Stephen.

Steve Hayes

Steve thanks for the input but the bitmore looks a bit wee grand for

just a three day stay , we hope to be out and about most of the time

talking of out and about how safe are things on a night in down town LA

would you know of any area to keep clear of

Also any thoughts on getting from cruise port to hotel for five adults ???

i think that a limo would work out at the best value

thanks again from Chilllyyy Scotland

P@P

Master Stephen

thanks again for your input most helpful , from what you and a fellow cruiser have said, it is now

a trip to the travel agents to sort out a new location for our visit in may

My wife and i went to Edinburgh on a shopping trip last week and i'am pleased to say that South Queensferry is still there , as we took the train for a change we, as you will know were right above it

P@P

Gina thanks again for your input most helpful , from what you and a fellow cruiser have said, it is now

a trip to the travel agents to sort out a new location for our visit in May

it just shows how helpful this web site can be, when such as youself spends time to pass on your knowledge to others, so they can get the best there is to offer

The Scottish do what is called high tea this is more a main meal followed by tea and cakes and not the wee sandwiches that the brits have

thanks again from a Brit in Scotland

Pitcairn, I work downtown & would not recommend it as a base for your exploration of LA, especially if you won’t have a car. The Wilshire Grand is ok, but it’s really a convention hotel. It used to be a Hilton, and I frankly don’t see any old world elegance about it (and I polled our office, nobody else did either:p ), but I only go there for the occasional lunch or conference. The streets do kind of roll up at night, and as others have said, it’s not a good place to be from out of town after about 8pm. There is a metro line right by the hotel that will take you to Universal Studios, but that didn’t appear on your “must do” list, so I’m thinking that it’s not all that important to you. As for the Pantry, that’s a matter of taste. I used to go there for lunch all the time when I worked a little closer (we Angelenos are legendary for being too lazy to walk very far), and I didn’t like their fries – never quite cooked enough. They would crisp them up if I asked, but I always got an attitude. I guess I won’t be running for the Chamber of Commerce any time soon!:D

If you want to do the Beverly Hills shopping experience, I would try for a hotel on the west side of LA, such as West Hollywood, Westwood or Beverly Hills. They are pricier, to be sure, but you’ll be close to Rodeo Drive. Westside Pavilion and the Century City shopping mall, to name just a few of the many upscale malls we have here. I’m told that the Peninsula Hotel in Beverly Hills has a marvelous afternoon tea. Do a search on Tripadvisor.com for some recommendations.

I'm happy to share what else I know, too!

I, too, think Century City would be a better place, or in Beverly Hills. We used to stay at the Biltmore often, as my husband had business there. There truly was nothing to do there, except business. We took a cab to Olvera Street one night for dinner, and also to the Pacific Dining car, which was close by, but we didn't even enjoy the restaurants in the Biltmore. We did have a lovely corner room each time, as we asked for it after the first, but it was a LLLLLLOOOOOOOONG walk to the elevators. I grew up in Los Angeles area, and I would not stay downtown. If you wouldn't mind being closer to the ocean, Santa Monica is a good place to stay, too. My dancing academy (from the days when people learned ballroom dancing at an early age) used to have lovely dances at the Biltmore, so I was really looking forward to staying there. I was disappointed.............it's fancy looking in the public lobby, but it is old, and needs some updating.

Archived