Your first cruise

Cricket999

Our first cruise was on Carnival for our 30th Anniversary. We had an inside cabin, and thought it was fine. We came back saying we would probably cruise again, but not on Carnival. Our second cruise was a balcony cabin on Princess to Alaska. Then we fell in love with cruising. Now we only get balconies and go as soon as we save enough for another cruise. We now live in a Carnival homeport, but still haven't been back on Carnival. However, when they give us a larger ship with balconcies, we may try Carnival again. It's cheaper if you don't have to fly somewhere to embark. We could go more often.

Our first cruise was our honeymoon it was a four day cruise and three day disney but we added three more days on to it, it was on the Premier Cruise Lines , Oceanic The Big Red Boat, I remember heading down the Bline express and seeing this big ship and when we parked the car and got ready to board I said "oh wow" it was great and now we have 11 cruises under our belt and 20 years later in Aug going on our second honeymoon on the Carnival, this will be our 12th cruise but first time on Carnival Legend, doing the week cruise and then a three day disney, and then hubby wants to go to NASA while we are there looking forward to this cruise.

This was interesting to read. Thanks!!!!

My first cruise was in 1994 on the Sensation. It was my college graduation present and I went with three other girls. We went to Nassau, San Juan, and St Martin.

We partied like I had never partied before and have not partied since. We were AWFUL!!

I'm leaving in June for my second cruise. Going to Alaska with my parents!!! My husband didn't want to go so I have a cabin to myself!!!Way different than my first cruise.

Our first cruise was awful!!! It was a three-day Mexican Riviera Carnival cruise. It was part of my husband's high school reunion. The ship was tiny and rundown. There were a million kids. We had to share our tiny cabin with a classmate of my husband's and there was a loud, very kinky couple in the next cabin----------the first night, I thought there was a woman being attacked, I banged on the walls, then called security (who never came) before I figured out what was going on.

Anyway----that was five cruises ago and after experiencing RCC and soon to experience Oceania, we are happy, happy cruisers.

This made me LOL! My husband and I took our first trip together to Helen, Georgia. The walls in the hotel were very thin and the extremely drunk couple next door were having too much fun. When it finally ended( to my relief) , the woman told the guy how great it was and he said, "Baby, you aint seen nothin yet." I put a pillow over my head.

My sister talked me into going on a cruise with the family in 2004. I was 36 at the time and I really didnt want to go at first but eventually said yes. I got my own cabin. I was hooked the second I walked onboard!!! I loved every minute of it and was ready to go on another before I finished that one. It was a 5-day in an OV cabin. I can't believe that I waited so long to start cruising.

Our first cruise was in 1988 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. It was on the Norway and at the very last minute our TA called to say we had been upgrade to a suite. It was an amazing suite and an amazing ship. Needless to say we were hooked on cruising. We've loved every ship we have been on but nothing compares with that suite on the Norway.

I love reading about peoples first cruises! Ours was on our honeymoon in 1979 on the original Island Princess (think Love Boat) to the Mexican Riviera. We thought the ship was so big and we were constantly getting lost. It was only 27,00 gross tons. LOL Cruising has changed so much over the years. Back then most of the passengers were retired and they cruised to meet other people. It was also alot more expensive than it is today. A lot of the food was British and very weird, especially for a 19 year old. I still laugh when I read our Princess Patters that tell us "what to & what not to" hang on to in the dinning room when the seas are rough. Since we were the only honeymooners onboard, everyone knew us and bought us drinks. Needless to say, we don't remember alot of the cruise!

Happy cruising all.

Not so much. We had an inside on a small, older ship and sailed with another couple (who are now divorced) during spring break in 1991. It was fun, but not what we expected and didn't really think we'd do it again. But second cruise, just hubby and me, was light-years better...and we were hooked.

our first cruise was also on the Carnivale, a couple of years earlier. i bought the ticket from a strip center travel agent and paid the brochure price. $549 PP for an inside with uppers and lowers, 3 days to the Bahamas. we also ended up with a cruise baby. did not really fall in love with cruising until the second cruise when I realized no one paid brochure rates and it sudenly became affordable

No. My first cruise was as a kid back in the early 60s. Our ship, the SS Florida, was a converted cargo ship. It was small and cramped, had communal bathrooms on every floor, and had no A/C. We didn't have a swimming pool, either! I remember coveting the ship at the next pier, because it had a swimming pool, and complaining to my parents why we hadn't gone on that ship instead. Ironically enough, that ship later burned and sank, yikes.

The "cruise" was 5 days, and it was docked in Nassau the entire time - no sea days at all. Looking back, it was more like a ferry service even though it was billed as a fabulous Caribbean cruise. This was back when cruising was very new, and before all of the major lines even existed. Somehow, we enjoyed it enough to try it again a few years later, and the ships and cruise experience got better as the years went on. Cruising changes so much from decade to decade, and I'm grateful that I've gotten to experience it all.

Years ago my DH worked with a guy that went on a lot of CCL cruises and wanted us to go with them and I would not go. Then about 10-11 years ago my office (cubicle) was moved and I ended up right next to a good friend of mine. I knew that she was a TA but I had not paid much attention. We started going to lunch together and she started telling me all about her cruise specials, group cruises, cruises our mutual friends were going on etc. Well, it started sounding better and better to me, she talked a lot about Celebrity Cruise Line and it sounded really good to me, like something DH and I would like. I asked her if they ever did a 4-5 day cruise, so we could "try it out". The Summit was going to do a 4 night cruise in about 3-4 months to Key West, and Cozumel, so I gave her a deposit. NOW, I had to tell my DH, who swore he would never go to Mexico. PLUS neither of us would ever plan something like this without talking about it first. WELL, when he came home that evening, I told him all about it, and how great it was going to be, and what a great stateroom we were going to have, and, and, and,

AND he said "well I hope you have a great time because I am NOT going on any cruise and I am sure NOT going to Mexico!

Well, this went on for weeks, and meanwhile I had to pay for the rest of the cruise, and I was getting worried that he really wasn't going to go.

SO finally, I reminded him that when we married he PROMISED me that he would take me anywhere I wanted to go when we had the money. "So I told him this is where I want to go" and it's paid for, so I guess we can afford it. So he finally said OK, he would go, for me, BUT don't expect him to be too excited.

WELL we were not on the ship 8-10 hours when and came and told me he was having the time of his life. When we went to bed that night he was reading the Celebrity catalogs planning our next cruise!

We both love cruising SO MUCH!!! I have lost count of all of the cruises we have been on since that first one. But one thing for sure - there have NOT been enough of them!

Archived