Earthquake - 7.1 magnitude strikes just off Roatan, Honduras

cliffd64

A major earthquake has struck Roatan, Honduras, and Belize this morning.

Early reports from Roatan appear promising as there does not seem to be many injuries or deaths (only 1 death reported from Honduras so far), and damage appears to be limited.

Quake was centered 39 miles off th coast of Roatan and was fairly shallow at about 6 miles deep.

Tsunami warnings for the area have been called off.

I saw this on the news this morning and wondered if there were any cruise ships in the area?

It looks like no ships were in port at the time of the quake. Belize was supposed to have Enchantment of The Seas, Carnival Legend and Carnival Valor in port today. Nothing for Roatan till tomorrow. Carnival Valor left Roatan around 7pm on Wed.

It looks like no ships were in port at the time of the quake. Belize was supposed to have Enchantment of The Seas, Carnival Legend and Carnival Valor in port today. Nothing for Roatan till tomorrow. Carnival Valor left Roatan around 7pm on Wed.

Thank you. Good to know. I understand there was a tsunami watch, but it has been called off.

Thank you for the info. This is the first time I heard of it. 7.1 is a bad quake, I'm glad there were not large numbers of deaths, but I do sympathize with the families and friends of those who did lose their lives.

From early reports I've been able to find it sounds like the major damage was on the mainland of Honduras with some damage also reported in Belize.

Not much coming out of Roatan itself yet that I can find.

Dianne

Archived