What to do in Seward/Anchorage?

sunshine 229

I expect to be cruising in Alaska in September and I hope to spend a few extra days in Alaska, post cruise.

I have to decide how to divide that time between Seward and Anchorage and I'm looking for any recommendations about where there may be more or better things to do for a reasonable price.

I'm visiting Alaska for the first time this summer, doing a B2B on Ryndam. Everyone I've spoken to says I *must* go on a Kenai Fjords tour on my "in transit" Seward day. You get a much closer look at glaciers, calving, and wildlife than is possible on the ship's "scenic cruising" day.

There are many, many operators of these tours, but best price I've found so far was this for $119:

http://www.renowntours.com/specials.htm

Others here have purchased discount coupon books ($50) and taken advantage of 2-for-1 offers:

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/

The Northwestern Glacier cruise (9 hours) is simply SPECTACULAR!!! Been there, done that and will be doing it again this summer.

To the OP-You have a few days-a couple in Seward, then a couple in Homer, THEN to Anchorage. IF you have the time, a day trip to the Katmai out of Homer for bear viewing will be a VERY special experience. The bears are power feeding along the shore during September to get ready for winter. Super special and something not many see.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise. I have looked at a few operators offering it, but would like to read through current opinions, reviews on it. thanks

Try this search.

The Northwestern Glacier cruise (9 hours) is simply SPECTACULAR!!! Been there, done that and will be doing it again this summer.

To the OP-You have a few days-a couple in Seward, then a couple in Homer, THEN to Anchorage. IF you have the time, a day trip to the Katmai out of Homer for bear viewing will be a VERY special experience. The bears are power feeding along the shore during September to get ready for winter. Super special and something not many see.

Katmai is very special and September is a great time...but getting there is kinda spendy as you need to fly in on small plane (well worth it though if you see bears) as well as you need to be able to walk on well groomed trails for about a mile there and back at Brooks lodge to see the bears.

I just got back from Alaska last week and I also spent a few days in Seward and Anchorage. We got the Alaska toursaver book and got a 2 for 1 for the Renown Tours Kenai Fjords National Park Tour in Seward. It was great! We saw otters, seals, goats, bears, humpbacks, and a bunch of Orcas!! We also got an up close view of a calving glacier! We also got a 2 for 1 for the historical Van Gilder Hotel in the toursaver book.

I just got back from Alaska last week and I also spent a few days in Seward and Anchorage. We got the Alaska toursaver book and got a 2 for 1 for the Renown Tours Kenai Fjords National Park Tour in Seward. It was great! We saw otters, seals, goats, bears, humpbacks, and a bunch of Orcas!! We also got an up close view of a calving glacier! We also got a 2 for 1 for the historical Van Gilder Hotel in the toursaver book.

Would you recommend the van Gilder? I've seen it on a couple of Alaska boards but all the reviews were 3 or 4 years old so i was unsure if it was still a good choice.

What does this mean ??? do you get 2 hotel rooms for the price of 1?? You usually get 2 people IN the room for the same price.:confused:

Also like to add my suggestion to do the Seaveys Idideride Kennels Tour, just outside of Seward. everyone does the cruises , we did that our last time so tho my DS is along (who hadn't) we decided the cost wasn't worth a 2nd trip, as we are doing other cruises in Juneau (Tracy Arm 9 hr) & Ketchikan (3 1/2 hr Crab Fisherman). These guys supposedly have a great tour, free pickup from Seward if you're fresh off the boat,or waiting to board, and get a ride behind their dogs (they finished 4 - 6 and 48 th in '09 1000 mi Iditerod dogsled race. Have puppies to hold & pet etc.

Would you recommend the van Gilder? I've seen it on a couple of Alaska boards but all the reviews were 3 or 4 years old so i was unsure if it was still a good choice.

I have stayed there a couple of times. Not recently-two years ago was the last time.

Old historic hotel that has been totally redone. Hotel is OK. Service sucks. There are some shared bath rooms, so pay attention to what you are booking. Even though the hotel has been completely redone, it still has a lot of "old" feel to it. IMHO, not "historic old", just old.

Owned by the same family that owns Land's End in Homer. The management used to be fantastic when Mom and Dad were running the place. Now, the "kids" have taken over. All that MBA schooling has pushed both hotels into catering to groups, not independent travelers. Independent travelers now get VERY short shrift in Homer (we co-own one of the Land's End condos, so are on the property for a couple of weeks at least twice a year). I REFUSE to stay at Land's End (which used to be my favorite place in Homer) when our condo is rented and we need housing for a few days. If you look at either Land's End or the Van Gilder websites, "group sales" is a prominent link on Google's search page. Should tell you something about the service and mentality of running both of these hotels.

There truly are better places to stay.

Katmai is very special and September is a great time...but getting there is kinda spendy as you need to fly in on small plane (well worth it though if you see bears) as well as you need to be able to walk on well groomed trails for about a mile there and back at Brooks lodge to see the bears.

I certainly didn't mean going to Brooks. I meant a true bear viewing trip to the Katmai. The pilots try to land close to where the bears are. It is a true wilderness experience. NO Park Rangers, no viewing platforms. Just Mother Nature, good walking shoes your guide and the bears.

I have stayed there a couple of times. Not recently-two years ago was the last time.

Old historic hotel that has been totally redone. Hotel is OK. Service sucks. There are some shared bath rooms, so pay attention to what you are booking. Even though the hotel has been completely redone, it still has a lot of "old" feel to it. IMHO, not "historic old", just old.

Owned by the same family that owns Land's End in Homer. The management used to be fantastic when Mom and Dad were running the place. Now, the "kids" have taken over. All that MBA schooling has pushed both hotels into catering to groups, not independent travelers. Independent travelers now get VERY short shrift in Homer (we co-own one of the Land's End condos, so are on the property for a couple of weeks at least twice a year). I REFUSE to stay at Land's End (which used to be my favorite place in Homer) when our condo is rented and we need housing for a few days. If you look at either Land's End or the Van Gilder websites, "group sales" is a prominent link on Google's search page. Should tell you something about the service and mentality of running both of these hotels.

There truly are better places to stay.

Thanks,

I've been looking elsewhere so we'll see what I find.

We just returned from Alaska yesterday. We did an eleven day land on our own before the cruise. We stayed at homewood suites in Anchorage. We spent 180 (May 9) for a two bedroom two bath suite. They have a very nice free breakfast and from mon thru thurs a light supper included in the price. The night we were there it was salad, rolls and clam chowder. It also included three glasses or beer or wine per person. Great value and fantastic room. In Seward we stayed at the holiday inn express for two nights. Free breakfast there also at 80 per night. We were there May 10 and 11 so got pre season rates. We walked to Exit Glacier and on the walk in saw about a dozen bears. We viewed them on the bank above with binoculars. We also went to the sea life center and did a five hour cruise. My husband did a halibut fishing trip and has good luck. There is much to do in Seward and the scenery is magnificent. I think Seward is a must see if the have the time.

The 2 for 1 that we got at the Van Gilder is 2 nights for the price of one. So we paid for the first night and got the second free. The Van Guilder hotel does have an old feel to it, but we enojoyed staying there. We also requested a room with our own bathroom. They have a kitchen with a fridge so you can cook your own food and they provide coffee, bagels, and pastries every morning for breakfast. Also, it is walking distance from a bunch of restaurants.

We took a NB cruise last September and ended with 3 nights in Anchorage. We got the reservation through HAL for hotel and train transfer to Anchorage.

We rented a car in Anchorage (at airport from Hertz) and drove north to Hatcher Pass and spent the afternoon poking around the old Independence Mine. It was closed but they allow people to walk around the ghost town. That was no additional cost over the car rental. On the way back, we stopped at the Matsu River overlook. That was spectatular! 360 degrees of trees and mountains in the distance. The scenic spot is marked but until you pull off the road and walk up the berm, you have no idea of how scenic it is.

The biggest surprize for me was the Fall colors. The whole area was ablaze in yellow with the aspens in their colors. (We saw this on the Yukon day excursion we took from Skagway also).

Incidentally- we found the train left us at the airport and HAL picked us up to take us to their "processing" station at the SHeraton. A few hours later we were taken back to the airport- had we realized it we would have just gotten off there and gotten our car, then drove to the hotel on our own.

Jennifer is new this year and from the south. She seems like a real nice lady who really cares about the guest's experience. If you have the tour saver book you really cannot beat the deal. It is not comparable to a resort but it is clean and close to everything. :D

Jennifer is new this year and from the south. She seems like a real nice lady who really cares about the guest's experience. If you have the tour saver book you really cannot beat the deal. It is not comparable to a resort but it is clean and close to everything. :D

BUT the OWNERSHIP is the same. And THAT is the big problem with both Land's End and the Van Gilder. We co-own one of the condos at Land's End. We deal repeatedly with the owners/Management because Land's End rents out our condo when we do not use it. http://landsendlodges.com/

As I posted, I have stayed there. Yes, it is clean. But it is run more like a backpacker's hostel than a hotel. There are TRULY better places to stay in Seward at approx the same price.

• 3 weeks later...

Kim's Forest B & B in Seward gets very good reviews. Although, I didn't stay there during my last trip to Seward we stopped by to take a look for our next visit and it was very nice. phone 907-224-7632

We stayed in "Bell in the Woods" B&B, just on the north side of Seward and it is a beautiful B&B. Service was very nice and the facility is top shelf. Will definately stay there again. Also, I'd highly recommend the Renown tours in Seward.

I stayed in the Marina Motel in one of their deluxe rooms (which was $10 more than their regular rooms). The bathroom had been redone, it had a fridge, a microwave and free wifi. I would stay there again. It's right near the small boat harbor, close to the train station.

Archived