Tatoos

rickcop44

i agree w/ everyone else here. dont get a tattoo if only your wife and daughter want you to get one. and DONT get one in mexico!! im 20 and i have 2 of them and the 1st one i got, well i shoulda put more thought into it, but its too late now. its not bad or anything, just i would have liked a different color in one part.

definitely get a tattoo at home though. you dont want to deal with the tattoo care while on vacation and your really not supposed to have them in the sun for the first month, and even after that, to keep the color you have to put sunblock on it.

but the main reason not to get it done in mexico, is you dont want to run the chance of getting a staph infection because it wasnt clean. im not saying mexico isnt clean, but i dont think they have the same laws as us and believe me, the last thing you want is an oozing itchy tattoo that requires antibiotics and visiting the doctor once a week for a month!!! it makes it not worth anything you spent on it.

i agree w/ everyone else here. dont get a tattoo if only your wife and daughter want you to get one. and DONT get one in mexico!! im 20 and i have 2 of them and the 1st one i got, well i shoulda put more thought into it, but its too late now. its not bad or anything, just i would have liked a different color in one part.

definitely get a tattoo at home though. you dont want to deal with the tattoo care while on vacation and your really not supposed to have them in the sun for the first month, and even after that, to keep the color you have to put sunblock on it.

but the main reason not to get it done in mexico, is you dont want to run the chance of getting a staph infection because it wasnt clean. im not saying mexico isnt clean, but i dont think they have the same laws as us and believe me, the last thing you want is an oozing itchy tattoo that requires antibiotics and visiting the doctor once a week for a month!!! it makes it not worth anything you spent on it.

I'm going to guess that any advice at this point is moot, considering he went on the cruise almost a year ago (note the date of his post... someone drug this up from deep in the grave) :p

I'm going to guess that any advice at this point is moot, considering he went on the cruise almost a year ago (note the date of his post... someone drug this up from deep in the grave) :p

So true, so true, but it bears reminding again:

You may (or will) be deferred from donating blood, plasma, platelets and bone marrow for at least a year if your tattoo was done in a manner that is provably safe.

Another person's life may also be at stake here.

Meanwhile, if you've resisted the temptation to get a tatt, you can schedule your next appointment at http://www.givelife.org or 1-800-give-life.

top_logo.gif.edd937e00d2d2320d0e4881f22b70e85.gif

Rick probably won't mind this slight hijack -

For you tattoo officiando's out there (I just don't understand the concept - I am still pissed every time I look at my family wedding photo's and my SIL is wearing a sleeveless dress with her nasty looking tattoo's - let's just say that some tattoo art is not meant to be displayed in a family setting!!!)

Anyhow - not that I would ever get one, but I have seen some that I would consider works of art. However, I live near Sun City, AZ senior capital of the world, and there is no art left to a tattoo that is hanging on some saggy skin.

Hence my question - apparently Rick had some buff arms and his wife and daughter wanted him to get this barbed wire thing. What happens to a tattoo like that 20 years from now when Rick is retired from being a cop, and not working out and keeping those arms buff???? I not saying his arms will get wrinkled - allthough it does happen -let me tell you. I'm just curious what happens to a tatto that is around a huge bicep when the guy stops working out and the bicep looses its size?

Speaking as a ex tattoo artist I would reccomend you do NOT get a tattoo while on vacation, especially a cruise vacation. You need to take care of a new tattoo and to do that properly that would mean keep it out of the sun and water (other than bathing) for up to a month.

Others have already given good advice already as to how to choose an artist.... Cleanliness, sterile equipment, no re-use of needles etc. Find an artist close to home to take care of your tattoo needs!

Patrick

I definitely agree, for anyone who reads this thread and thinks about getting a tattoo on a cruise, that it's best to CHOOSE a pattern on the cruise - but wait until you get home before you get the tattoo done. There is a lot of healing to do, and proper care. This is an injury you are doing to your skin. It is important to make sure you are at home, in sanitary conditions, for you to care properly for that. So by all means roam around and look at designs when you are out! That way when you do actually get your tattoo you can think of it as your "vacation tattoo" because that is in fact where you got the design from.

• 1 month later...
Rick have one of the airbrush artists on the ship put one on you. Its not permanent. You can see if you like having one. That way you don't have to get something that you regret.

Rick cruised LAST January... so hopefully he made a decision :D :D

I did go last January and I did not get a tatoo. I think my missus was pleased that I did not. However, we're on Victory on January 22 (24 days and counting) and now she's bugging me again. I tried to appease her by getting her an $800 onboard credit to play with, but nooooooooooooo! I ain't getting one and that's that! Well, maybe one of those airbrush ones. Who does that on the ship?

TEF... have you ever tried a root canal w/out local anesthetic?:eek:

Not sure if TEF has or not, but I have. If you are in enough pain, you are more than willing to let them make that initial start to the root canal without the benefit of anesthesia. The relief of pressure is so great that

you do not regret it. (Or so was my experience) I have had three root canals, but only one without anesthesia.

There's usually someone out by the pool on the Lido deck that does the airbrush ones.

My gf and I are thinking about getting the temp ones on our cruise this coming April. The question was asked b4 but I don't think there was a response. How much does it cost?

Rick...maybe you can tell me when you come back if there is no one else knows at this point.

Thanks

Keith

Do NOT get a tattoo in Mexico. I have seen the BIGGEST botch jobs you can imagine from cm's getting theirs done there...a lot of them look terrible. Not to mention that it's just not safe. They don't need to be licensed or anything. Heck, I could go down there with some pen ink and a needle and call myself a tattoo artist.

If you must get one done on a cruise (though I don't recommend it, like others have said, do you really want to be nursing a tattoo for your entire cruise? It can't go in water, especially the cholrinated water on the ship or salt water) and it can't be exposed to sunlight) get it done in St Thomas. I got my ears pierced there by a great american guy who has his place right across the street from Cornerstone (yumm)..right across from the ship. In conversation, he also was very adament about never getting ANYthing done in Mexico as he'd seen countless dirty, unhealty, unsafe things, not to mention that almost every tattoo he'd seen done there looked like crap. If something's gonna be on your body for the rest of your life, wouldn't you rather it be well done?

TEF... have you ever tried a root canal w/out local anesthetic?:eek:

Not sure if TEF has or not, but I have. If you are in enough pain, you are more than willing to let them make that initial start to the root canal without the benefit of anesthesia. The relief of pressure is so great that

you do not regret it. (Or so was my experience) I have had three root canals, but only one without anesthesia.

Totally off topic but out of curiosity why did you have to have a root canal without anesthesia?

im 44 i just got my daughters names done in chinese. your not to old. but only do it for you. i think the barb wire is kinda lame, sorry. but if you do it do it in the usa. you also dont want to be looking after it on the cruise. no swimming, sun etc. good luck!

When we get off Victory, I'll post a review as well as detailed photos (I am a photography nut). There has been a lot of interest shown by people who want to see detailed photos of the category 11 suites. I'll be sure and check out the air brush tatoo prices and post them.

When we get off Victory, I'll post a review as well as detailed photos (I am a photography nut). There has been a lot of interest shown by people who want to see detailed photos of the category 11 suites. I'll be sure and check out the air brush tatoo prices and post them.

Will be looking forward to your review with tons of pics.. we have a CAT11 on the Victory in March!! Have a great new year's and pics pics pics!!! I know I will be taking tons I bought myself a digital cam for xmas!!:D

As for the tattooing.. I am going to look into it. We both would like to get something celtic.. we will see!!:eek:

Dr. Jack, you need to lighten up just a bit. It started out as a Carnival related thread. Like many posts, it has a tendancy to wander off the subject - or at least the thread ends up foreign to what it originally started out as. Frankly, any information related to Carnival is helpful to me. As for Irishnewfie, I will take plenty of photos with my digital which is also new. I broke down and bought one with interchangeable lenses. 22 days and counting!

I thought this was a cruise related topic... I maybe wrong but I thought questions about the cost of tattoos onboard the ship and discussions on cabins were cruise related. I guess I was mistaken:rolleyes:

It may have gone off tangent slightly but doesn't every other topic? Sorry Dr. Jack....

Hey Rick...how is the job going....oops...off topic again;)

Archived