Just back Century Western Carib

I'mGrammy

Just back from our beloved Century! You lucky dog! We still have 49 days to go. Hope you had a wonderful time. Appreciate to offer to answer questions :) .

Since we have been on Century, our questions are more about the ports. We are traveling with our 5 1/2 year old son (as usual). We want to take him to the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman for some fun and a little educational time. We are worried it may not be open since the hurricaine wiped out a lot of the island.

1.) Did you have the Turtle Farm offered as an excursion on G.C.?

2.) Were you able to take a taxi around the island of G.C.? We heard the roads are a mess and travel outside of the port was next to impossible. We usually do NOT do organized excursions since our boy is so young and may need more or less time at the stops.

3.) What did you do in Jamaica? I have to admit we usually stay on the ship that day. We find Jamaica to be too pushy. If you did an excursion where you were not mobbed we would give it a try. I just don't like an island where a polite but firm "No Thank You" is not only ignored, but rudely replied to.

4.) Of course everyone will be asking if the ship was clean, food good, etc due to the CDC score a few weeks ago. Truly we are not worried. I know what an embarrassment that score was for Celebrity. I feel totally confident that they will take care of the problems and that the Century will be overly clean for quite some time. If you did notice anything out of the ordinary, let us know.

Once again hope you had a great time. May the unpacking be quick and easy and the pounds gained be easy to get rid of!

Rene

Hi Rene,

I'm happy to report that the food was definitely up to Celeb standards. Dining room meals were superb ( I rate dining room

meals higher than the Millenium). The morning and lumch buffets were fine...somthing for everyone. Breakfast in the dining room (we did that twice) was excellent. The ship was clean, and I saw no evidence of anything not up to standards. There was constant cleaning evident in all ship areas.

In Grand Cayman, most of the stores in town were open. We did not do any excursions or rent a car. People we chatted with did do an island tour, but were only able to travel half of it because of bad road conditions. They saw a lot of devastation.

Sorry I can't help you more with that. The turtle farm was open for excursions, so that might be a nice thing to do with your son.

With regard to Jamaica, we went to the shops right near the port. We bought hats at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Nothing else to buy in any of the stores, and the people were very, very pushy. We were back on the boat in less than an hour, and had a very relaxing afternoon at the pool.

There were two shows at night that your son might like. One was the ladder man (he had a child on stage participate with him). The other show was a magician. So maybe you can take him to an early show.

Hope I helped you. Post again if you have any other questions. Have a great cruise. Eileen

We were on the Century in Nov. Went to Margaritaville. Close walk from the ship. They had a neat pool with a great waterslide. Your son may enjoy that. There is also a nice beach right there. It was kind of neat splashing around and being able to see the Century right from the beach. Didn't have a problem with anyone bothering us at that beach. They had a security guard right there and wouldn't let anyone on the beach with their wares. Will definitely go back there next time.

We will be on the Century in January. Only a month a away yeah! I have a couple questions.

About the islands:

What did you do while in Cozumel? We are still trying to decide. WE are thinking of going to paradise beach. If you went there was it crowded? I looked and it says there will be 9 ships in port that day.

For Jamaica, do you have to buy anything to go to the beach. Just curious. I am shore we would but I am just wondeiring.

As for the ship:

Do you get the famous breadsticks with dinner?

I read that it is hard to get a chair by the pool, did you think this was the case?

Also, was there a lot of smoking on board?

Thanks so much.

I too just got back from that cruise, so I will answer one of your questions.

Paradise Beach was great fun. Cab ride there was about $12 total. Beach chairs and umbrella were free. I think you had to pay a slight fee for some of the water toys, but it was not much. Drinks were about what you would pay on the ship. You got worlds of food with your order -- I think five of us shared one order of fresh salsa, chips and a huge bowl of guacamole for about $11. The bay was good for swimming or just splashing around in. You weren't hassled on the beach, but there were plenty of neat little gift shops nearby if you wanted to buy something.

A clean restroom and a good fresh water shower to douse salt and sand when you were ready to leave.

Try it.

At Grand Cayman, we took Capt. Bryan's tour to stingray-infested waters. Cheaper than the ship's tour and less crowded. Neat crew and very helpful. The boat ride was fun as well, and I LOVED the stingrays. (Read about him under ports of call threads.)

All in all,you will have plenty of places to go ashore if you just want to wander around.

Enjoy!

love

joan

Enjoy.

HI Brook,

We were also on the same cruise as Joan..HI Joan.

In Cozumel we did the Passion ISland tour. It was very nice. Open bar all day, all you can eat, lounge chairs, hamocks in the shade, beautiful beach, and most of all,not crowded.It was a blast.

Hope it helps

Jeff

I was on the cruise with Jeff and Joan. I totally agree with Joan about Paradise Beach, it was a lot of fun. You can get a massage on the beach for $1 a minute. I did and it was wonderful. It's only a $5pp cab ride out there. In Jamaica we walked to Margaritaville and spend the day in the pool. It was also a lot of fun and would do it again. It's in Island Village and they have a lot of security there so you don't get hasseled at all.

Terri

Hi Brook, we were on Century Nov. 20 and Nov. 27. Both weeks I got breadsticks, past 9 am it is hard to get chairs together by the pool. If you are only one person you can find a chair here and there. On our cruises there were a lot of Europeans and they smoke alot. Most people smoked on their side of the ship so it was not too bothersome. Pat

Thanks for the tips of things to do with our son everyone! We have been to Margaritaville, but it was so crowded we did not go inside and see the pool. That might be a good idea, thanks!

Glad to hear the Turtle Farms is up and running. I recommend Chacanaub (sp?) National Park in Cozumel for a great day trip alone or with the kids. It is about 15 minutes from the pier and is fabulous!

I know I'll think of more questions later!

Rene

Hey Joramrose: You used a thumbs down icon, did you not have a good time? Lori

I had a ball! A great cruise.

But then, I have never been on a cruise that I didn't like. IOn fact, I have met very few fellow cruisers that I didn't like. I can[t remember a one right now.

Certainly did not intend to give it a thumbs down.

Wave a ticket at me, and my bags can be packed in ten minutes.

l;ove

joan

Hi there,

Breadsticks were plentiful, and "so delicious". As far as pool chairs, most folks claimed their chairs early in the morning. If they got up to go to lunch, a book was left on the chair to show it was occupied. I don't have a problem with someone leaving for a short time, but there were chairs that weren't being used for several hours. We got to the pool early, and stayed all day. Threr aren't as many tables as the M class ships. We ate poolside, either at our lounge or at tables that were conveniently close to our chairs. Pizza, hot dogs, burgers, and pasta are served poolside. So, if you plan on spending the day at sea by the pool, get there early. Have a great cruise.

Archived