Southampton Hotel to Pier

jplotts865

I've just booked an overnight at the De Vere Grand Harbour hotel (after reading comments here) for the November 23rd Queen Victoria cruise. We will arrive from London Heathrow the day before the sailing. I did not book a Cunard pre-cruise package but am wondering - since it seems Cunard uses this hotel for this package - if it is possible to just buy a seat on the bus for the transfer? Or, is a taxi difficult and/or expensive? It looks like the pier is really not that far away...any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have stayed in other hotels in Southampton and it was not particularly difficult to get a taxi. The front desks just called a taxi company and one would appear in a few moments. I do not recall the fare but I do not recall feeling either shocked or that it was a fantastic bargain.

I'm on the crossing next week and have to take a taxi from the pier over to the Holiday Inn which is very close to the DeVere. When I did it a few years ago I think the fare about 6-7 pounds. I'll let you know when I return.

Thank you for the information...and if you do send the taxi fare amount that would be very nice...I can see that no matter what it probably isn't difficult or overly expensive - couldn't be any worse than London! Have a great trip...let me know what you think of the ship as well...you can e-mail me directly at josephplotts@comcast.net

Thanks again and bon voyage!

I'm meeting family at the Holiday Inn. Since I cannot pinpoint the exact time I will disembark and they can't determine the exact time they will arrive from Leicestershire we agreed to meet at the Holiday Inn, then whomever arrives first has a nice place to sit and wait. It also avoids the terminal hassle and trying to spot family.

I have already done 5 crossings and 5 cruises on the QM2 - she is like my second home.

I've just booked an overnight at the De Vere Grand Harbour hotel (after reading comments here) for the November 23rd Queen Victoria cruise. We will arrive from London Heathrow the day before the sailing. I did not book a Cunard pre-cruise package but am wondering - since it seems Cunard uses this hotel for this package - if it is possible to just buy a seat on the bus for the transfer? Or, is a taxi difficult and/or expensive? It looks like the pier is really not that far away...any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, I am also on this voyage, but will be travelling down to Southampton on the day. The De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel is only about 5 or 10 minutes away from the dock and you should have not problems getting a taxi.

Enjoy your stay in Southamtpon and maybe I will see you onboard :)

There is a roll call here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=881946&highlight=

Oh, how nice you will be on board the 23rd sailing - the itinerary looks to be really wonderful! We will arrive from Philadelphia the day before and then just take the train to Southampton - and more or less camp out at the hotel overnight. Feel free to keep in touch...Jay Plotts (josephplotts@comcast.net). I suspect this will be a delightful cruise.

I think you will find the devere have their own coutesy bus running on embarkation days at regular intervals. You can book on it when you check in

Regards

Chris and Pam

They didn't have this in April.

They were very efficient at booking taxis; just let them know how much luggage you have so they can get you the right size vehicle!

J

Archived