new pearl cruise director

karen327

I read on CC that Simon the cruise director will be leaving the Pearl for good. We really enjoyed him on our western caribbean cruise last spring. We will be cruising on the pearl again this Nov. and was wondering if anyone could tell me who is taking his place? What is he/she like? Will the change in cruise directors affect the entertainment provided? I hope the new one can help make this cruise as "smashing" of a time as the last one.

There was a post a while back that Simon was headed to Australia for a long vacation, and then would be working on the crew bringing the new Epic into service. We sailed with him to Alaska in May 2007 and had a "smashing" time.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone knows who the new CD is, as my DD and her new husband will be sailing on 6/7.

I believe Simon's last week on the Pearl was the sailing of May 17th. I don't know for how long or if it is permanent for the Pearl, but I believe he is gone now. Those on the May 24th sailing can confirm and let everyone know who the new CD is.

I was on this cruise and at the "Liars Club" activity on the second to last night he announced he was taking a vacation after the cruise was over and that if you saw him in your hometown to buy him a drink because he was on vacation! On disembarkation day Simon was gone and Archie the assistant cruise director was making all of the announcements.

After I got off the ship I was standing on the Bell Street walking bridge next to the pier and heard his voice. I turned around and there Simon was in jeans and with a backpack talking on his cell phone walking about as fast as he could away from the ship and into downtown Seattle.

I believe I heard on our cruise in March he was getting married and would be the cd on the Epic. I could be wrong, but I know they don't want to lose him. He's the most successful cd they've ever had. He continually gets the highest ratings. We've sailed with him twice and I remember him more than any other cd from any ship or line.

Julie Valeriote is the new Cruise Director for the Pearl. Simon's new assignment isnt yet known.

Then those of you going on the Pearl are so LUCKY!!!! She is much better than Simon.( although I have nothing bad to say about him, just that she is better ) Full of energy and this affects the energy of her staff. She also has the entertainment staff ( dancers and singers ) come out and greet the passengers after each performance. She is very involved with activities and passengers on the ship. Out of 20 cruises, the Jewel in 2007 was one of our top 3 and a lot of it had to do with Julie being the CD.

I have to agree with people who say Simon is great. We never get really that involved with a CD or the activites they are usually working, however we found Simon to be very personable and very approachable. And never once did we not pass him in the hallway that he did not greet us by name. Other than being at the M&G, I am still not for sure how he even knew our names. Just amazed us that he knew them considering all the 1000's of people he meets every week. His announcements were sure a lot easier to listen to than other CD's we have had in the past. There was one, I will not mention by name as I don't want to be cruel or rude, etc... but his voice was like fingernails on a chalk board to me. I am sure he was a nice guy and did a great job.. but his voice just made me cringe.

Simon will be missed on the Pearl for sure as I know he has a HUGE following of fans. Maybe some day we will bump into him on the EPIC.

I don't understand what the big deal is about Simon. I liked his staff better than him. I guess I was participating in activities he wasn't. He came out on stage after the shows, saw him at the Latitudes party, at the liar's club, and walked in while he was giving Tango lessons in the Spinnaker. Those were the only times I saw him the whole week. I didn't think he was anything special. I must've missed something. Oh, he was also in the crew talent show, but he certainly didn't take the spotlight. Maybe his mind was already in Miami since it was his last cruise on the Pearl.

Darn, I figured this was coming but was hoping he would still be around for our October cruise.... Granted, everyone has their favorites and probably for some it just isn't important....but I really found him to be the best. Loved his energy. Very approachable....always friendly.

I also sailed the week of 5/17 on the Pearl and both at the Liars Club and again after the Garden of the Geisha show it was brought up that our sailing was his last on the Pearl. The captain did say during the thank you and staff song that night that he would be taking a needed vacation and then going on to Miami to work in the corporate office I believe with a promotion...not sure if thats just til the Epic is complete but that is what was said during our sailing. This cruise was my first on NCL but my 9th total. I wasn't all that impressed with him. Didn't see him too much and didn't find too many of his jokes funny. I've enjoyed CD's on Carnival more, but he was my only NCL experience. I did however completey enjoy the Pearl. Was very impressed with his staff and the ports. A+ cruise for me. I will definitely do NCL again.

• 3 months later...
Then those of you going on the Pearl are so LUCKY!!!! She is much better than Simon.( although I have nothing bad to say about him, just that she is better ) Full of energy and this affects the energy of her staff. She also has the entertainment staff ( dancers and singers ) come out and greet the passengers after each performance. She is very involved with activities and passengers on the ship. Out of 20 cruises, the Jewel in 2007 was one of our top 3 and a lot of it had to do with Julie being the CD.

We never had Simon but out of 3 Norwegian cruises, we unfortunately had Julie twice. She wasn't very funny. Half the time she wasn't even around. She had a good crew working for her though.

Archived