Norovirus on Thomson Spirit

Just reading other online review sites before booking my usual Thomson cruise, and its seems like the recent Spirit "Iberian Delights" cruise had an outbreak of the Norovirus. Apparently 300 passenger were affected and confined to their cabins for 3 days.

It is terrible reading all the 1/10 reviews for my favorite ship, because I know how hard they work Hygiene wise. In fact it always angers me that passengers do not use the hand sanitizers provided. I am so sorry that this has been some peoples first impression of the Spirit or cruising in general.

I am sure this will be solved quickly because the staff take great pride in their ship and work. What worried my slightly more was all the complaints about shuttle buses and the disorganized nature of the excursions.

My Spirit cruises have always been first class, and I hope nothing has changed on board and this is a one off.

However, I will be reading the reviews over the next few weeks and making sure everything is back to normal before booking my October cruise on the Spirit.

It is sad that reviewers seem to blame 'the ship' for outbreaks of Norovirus as if it is somehow lurking onboard just waiting to strike!

As for the repositioning cruise. I suspect the difficulties were due to the Spirit deploying to a new area (for them) and whoever makes the arrangements for shuttles etc etc not being aware of the potential problems.

The comments about the choce of food in the Lido being restricted to burgers and hotdogs was I think actually a comment about the late night menu, after 11.30pm where in addition to the hot dogs etc you get chips!, and pizza and you can even make up savoury rolls if you wish. Perhaps they were expecting an exotic extravaganza!.

I am on Spirit in a few weeks so hopefully everything will have been sorted.

I am on Spirit in a few weeks so hopefully everything will have been sorted.

I'm sure it will have been Davetheroad, it’s a great ship, and if you liked the celebration, you will enjoy the Spirit. The choice on the Lido is brilliant; also they will do a Lido deck BBQ one day also which is a nice touch. The have hand sanitizers on each of the three routes into the Lido food area, and their staff are forever cleaning. The ship is spotless. Yet you still get the odd ignorant passenger just walking into the buffet, and not using them.

I am planning going for the last cruise of the season on the 23rd of October, because I love the atmosphere on board as all the staff are preparing to leave and in even better moods than they usually are. I will be looking out for your comments on your return.

Just to inform you that the alcohol gel sanitisers used by Thomson will NOT prevent Norovirus, as they are not anti-viral gels, only anti-bacterial.

The only way to prevent the spread of the highly infectious Norovirus is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap, in hot water, for the length of time it takes you to hum the song "Happy Birthday To You" three times............ under your breath of course!! :)

If a passenger has a confirmed diagnosis of Norovirus, they will be issued with the more expensive anti-viral hand gel, but the ones freely available around the ships are anti-bacterial only. Of course, all passengers should still use these anti-bacterial gels, as there are many different types of nasty bacteria and they certainly will protect you against these.

Just reading other online review sites before booking my usual Thomson cruise, and its seems like the recent Spirit "Iberian Delights" cruise had an outbreak of the Norovirus. Apparently 300 passenger were affected and confined to their cabins for 3 days.

It is terrible reading all the 1/10 reviews for my favorite ship, because I know how hard they work Hygiene wise. In fact it always angers me that passengers do not use the hand sanitizers provided. I am so sorry that this has been some peoples first impression of the Spirit or cruising in general.

I am sure this will be solved quickly because the staff take great pride in their ship and work. What worried my slightly more was all the complaints about shuttle buses and the disorganized nature of the excursions.

My Spirit cruises have always been first class, and I hope nothing has changed on board and this is a one off.

However, I will be reading the reviews over the next few weeks and making sure everything is back to normal before booking my October cruise on the Spirit.

I know the review site you mean and I wouldn't worry about it. I've always thought that that particular site is where all of the moaners congregate. You know, the sort that find a towel missing from their bathroom and claim it ruined their holiday!

Norovirus has nothing to do with the ship, its all about the people who travel on it and their hygiene habits. Same as children with nits in their hair at school, your child can have the cleanest hair going, but still get them.

Norovirus can happen on any ship, on the P&O ship Oriana's last cruise, they had an outbreak.

The only thing I would say is, I have never seen two consecutive cruises on the same ship, both have an outbreak.:eek:

Hi all

The Spirit was our first ever cruise in march this year, & i found the crew very good when it came to hygiene , whilst it appears that norovirus may have broke out on the ship very recently , it would not stop me sailing on the spirit again.

gazz

There were 6 (reported) cases on FO Braemar while we were on it in March so not just peculiar to Thomson. It spreads because passengers do their utmost to avoid having to report they are unwell to the ships doctor. Don't want to be confined to their cabin for 48 hours (which is what the FO line do, partners can roam the ship but must not use the dining rooms) and would rather just pass it on to everyone else.

We always take our own anti-viral handwash, that stuff you just rub in, and we use it prior to eating and at intervals during the day. You have to help yourselves avoid it.

I have to say that FO are much better at advising passengers about the risks, symptoms and methods to avoid Norovirus. It comes with your tickets.

.....I have to say that FO are much better at advising passengers about the risks, symptoms and methods to avoid Norovirus. It comes with your tickets.

In my Spirit ticket there is a highlighted section about Norovirus with the good advice about hand washing etc etc.

I wonder if and additional anti-viral hand wash would be overkill.

In my Spirit ticket there is a highlighted section about Norovirus with the good advice about hand washing etc etc.

I wonder if and additional anti-viral hand wash would be overkill.

Only for the viruses, Dave! ;)

Archived