Dubrovnik what to do? other than city walls

We were in Dubrovnik last year and got to know the city very well and adored it, we are now trying to come up with a new plan for this summer. Possibly the out islands? Any advice on venders? I know a great one for inside the city but no one for outside. thanks

I'm going in two weeks and I'd like to know the answer, too! I know to do the city wall, but what about outdoor cafes? How do we find them? Is there anything else to see without taking a tour? We want to wind down our cruise w/o having to rush to see a million things as we are doing in Rome.

We spent four days there last Sept. On one of those days, we rented a car and drove to Kotor in Montenegro. It was a very nice drive, stopped and took the little boat to the church on the man made island on the way. We rented the car from SIXT at the Hilton Hotel-just outside one of the gates.

As we had previously been to Dubrovnik, someone on our cruise recommended we take the 10 minute ferry ride from the old city port over to the island of Lokrum (6 euros pp). When we were there (a week ago), the ferry ran from the port to the island on the hour and returned 15 minutes past the hour. The island is a nature reserve and it was very peaceful after the hustle of Dubrovnik. We purchased the 1 or 2 euro map and walked the trails all around the island. It takes about 3 hours to do the loop at a leisurely pace. The locals come here to swim. There aren't any beaches, but there were ladders into the water and some places you could just wade in. The water was very warm. There are ruins of a fort, quarantine hospital that was never completed, reservoir and monastery. If you want to see the fort there will be a long uphill climb. There is a bar/restaurant on the island and washrooms in several spots. We really enjoyed our time there.

Lynn

We took a tour to Cavtat and fell in love with it. Beautiful harbor and very clean, residents very friendly.

As we were walking along the harbor, we saw a sign for a boat that takes you back & forth to Dubrovnic. So, you wouldn't need a tour,find the harbor area in Dubrov... and ask for that boat to Cavtat.

This was in 2007 and something around 10E was on the sign.

MaryAnn

I'm going in two weeks and I'd like to know the answer, too! I know to do the city wall, but what about outdoor cafes? How do we find them? Is there anything else to see without taking a tour? We want to wind down our cruise w/o having to rush to see a million things as we are doing in Rome.

Hi Texasbloom! I'm in Houston. We visited Dubrovnik Fall '07 and enjoyed it on our own. We took private tours in most of our ports of call, but Dubrovnik was an easy and cheap one to do on our own at a slow and relaxing pace. Is this your first time? We didn't actually climb the wall (which is suppose to be fantastic). The city inside the wall was quaint & beautiful and had several outdoor cafes. I suggest taking some of the side alleyways off the main entrance and following them for a few blocks. You will eventually hear other people and can follow the voices to nice little out-of-the-way shops and cafes. You can't really get lost inside the city walls and it's very safe. You will discover lots of neat places you wouldn't find just by sticking to the wide main stretch everyone goes down. The churches are a nice experience too. Enjoy your visit!

• 4 weeks later...

A group of us are going to be in Dubrovnik for a cruise and we were looking at taking a excursion that would take us to the nature reserve island, it also let us see the sea wall from the sea. I was wondering after reading this post if we would able to see the sea wall if we took the ferry instead of taking the excursion?

We have also gone to Lokrum using the ferry. After June first it will run every half hour. It is 6 euros RT and they take euros. You get to see some of the outer wall but not all the way around. The only place on the island to see the whole city is to walk to the fort and climb to the top. here are my pictures of Lokrum.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2449697850101391319TZkedD

It would be a unique place to take kids for a swim. The water will probably be a little cold but refreshing. We did go swimming there at the end of May.

A group of us are going to be in Dubrovnik for a cruise and we were looking at taking a excursion that would take us to the nature reserve island, it also let us see the sea wall from the sea. I was wondering after reading this post if we would able to see the sea wall if we took the ferry instead of taking the excursion?

Can you do the reserve and then the wall, need facts from recent cruisers. Good info

thanks

cruisinbob.com

Archived