Weather in Spain and Portugal in November

I'm looking at a cruise that will have ports in Barcelona, Cadiz, Funchal and others. It's to celebrate a birthday so I'm looking at November. How is the weather at this time? Can I expect much rain? Cool temps are okay.

Cruise is Nov 8 to Nov 15. Thanks.

We did a TA crossing last Nov 4th, Lisbon, Portimao (Algarve area), Casablanca, Cadiz, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Funchal (Madeira) --- the weather was FABULOUS --- needed a jacket in the morning at some ports, nice and sunny, but cool ---- I don't recall any rain (even though I packed some ponchos and folding umbrella).

Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

CJcruzer, if you are still checking this thread out, perhaps you can help me. My husband and I are planning a transatlantic in autumn, 2010 and having some difficulty choosing which ship to take -- both HAL, similar itineraries but with some differences. One of the 'different' ports is Portimao. Can you tell me something about this stop: what you did, how you enjoyed it.

Also one of the ships spends an overnight in Lisbon (and one day in Barcelona). Is there plenty to see/do in Lisbon to keep us busy for the 2 days? The other spends an overnight in Barcelona (and one day in Lisbon).

Thank you for giving us the benefit of your thoughts.

Hi Oca,

Regarding Lisbon, we recently spent 5 days there and didn't get bored! There's loads to see (search other posts) and there is a super aquarium where you can spend at least half a day if it does rain.

CJcruzer, if you are still checking this thread out, perhaps you can help me. My husband and I are planning a transatlantic in autumn, 2010 and having some difficulty choosing which ship to take -- both HAL, similar itineraries but with some differences. One of the 'different' ports is Portimao. Can you tell me something about this stop: what you did, how you enjoyed it.

Also one of the ships spends an overnight in Lisbon (and one day in Barcelona). Is there plenty to see/do in Lisbon to keep us busy for the 2 days? The other spends an overnight in Barcelona (and one day in Lisbon).

Thank you for giving us the benefit of your thoughts.

A couple of years ago we stopped at Portimao on a Windstar cruise. It was early November (maybe the first week). The weather was beautiful, nice and sunny but maybe too cool to sunbathe. The beach was almost completely empty and the town itself seemed dead - pretty much what you might expect when visiting off-season during the week. We were going to rent a car and drive to Sagres, but decided in the end to punt and just wander the beach. It's an interesting beach with lots of interesting rock formations and big wide swathes of sand, really pretty. I could just imagine what it would be like at a peak season.

I agree with the assessment of Lisbon. It is a beautiful town, very walkable, and plenty to do.

we spent 3 days pre-cruise in Lisbon LOVED IT!! first day, off the plane, we went by electric tram to Belem - to Jeronimo's Monastery, Monument to the discoveries, and Belem Tower - we then walked to the famous/well-known pastry shop/cafe - wonderful pastries - very reasonable for espresso and pastry - then we walked further on past the presidential palace to view the Coach Museum - outstanding!!!

Next day we went to Sintra with a tour - I must say, this was one of our BEST excursions we have EVER taken - sintra is BEAUTIFUL - and make sure you go when Sintra Palace is open (each palace has a "closed" day) - the National Palace (in town) is nice too - there's also Quelez Palace (further away) - but we were blown away by Sintra palace - it is magical.... Lunch was excellent, we ate in the hotel in town that had views of the park/palace - amazing! We then went to Estoril and Cascais - and Cap de roche? - furtherest most western point of Continental Europe.....

Our last day, we walked the city, went to St. Jorge's Castle, Alfama section of town, the main pedestrian street (shopping, buskers, etc)...Barrio district ----

Lisbon is very laid-back, but a beautiful city, and everyone is friendly...

At night we went to a Fado dinner and show (Fado is a type of Portuguese music)......

Barcelona: what can I say - fabulous city - you will love having 2 days, we overnighted in Barcelona on our med cruise.

Go see Gaudi's architecture - La Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Battlo or the more well-known La Pedrera - we did all that in one day - also made reservations first thing in the a.m. for a tour of La Palau de la Musica - WHAT AN AMAZING THEATRE! Went to the Mercado (market) and walked the Ramblas in the early evening/late afternoon back to the ship --- next day we had booked online (10% discount) for walking tour of the old Quarter - then went in to the Cathedral there (not Gaudi's) and went to Picasso Museum ---- thoroughly wonderful 2 days and can't wait to get back to Barcelona - we never even touched on Mont Juic (upper mountain section of city) or Montserrat (the monastery) -----

We walked all over, cabs are also reasonable...if you want to go to Parc Guell, grab a cab, as it will let you off right in front of the main gate/entrance - whereas public transportation (buss/metro) or the HOHO bus, leave you off quite a ways downhill and it is fairly steep walk up....

Portimao - we were so not impressed, we took a ship's tour - the tender ride in is scenic - not too much going on - it's a laid-back "Portugese Riviera" type place - I guess you really get the feel more if you are staying on a land trip - in November it was too cool for beach - but lots of tourist residents (a lot of Germans) in the sidewalk cafes, etc....There are tours that branch out in various directions from Portimao itself - Silves, Largo, etc....most people said it was just "OK" ---- nothing particular to complain about, but nothing was "eye-catching"....

BTW - our transatlantic was on HAL's Rotterdam - which ship(s) are you considering, and what are the differences in itinerary?

Archived