Balcony smoking

I am considering upgrading to a balcony on our 7 night LOS cruise in September of this year. I am a smoker and consider myself considerate of others as I will only smoke away from others. If I am outside I walk away from the door if at a public place. The reason for the upgrade is to be able to smoke when I want but I am in a catch 22. Appreciate any comments. Our other cruises have all been interior rooms and I would go up to the appropiate places.

I am considering upgrading to a balcony on our 7 night LOS cruise in September of this year. I am a smoker and consider myself considerate of others as I will only smoke away from others. If I am outside I walk away from the door if at a public place. The reason for the upgrade is to be able to smoke when I want but I am in a catch 22. Appreciate any comments. Our other cruises have all been interior rooms and I would go up to the appropiate places.

You are a considerate smoker as I am too... but no matter how considerate you are, there will be some others that will whine about your smoke, if they do not smoke ! You are permitted to smoke on your balcony.... whats the catch 22 here ?

I too like to have a cigerette on my balcony. I am considerate when the ship is in port. Once we are back at sea I smoke on my balcony as the sea air takes care of it. I hope this helps,

This topic has been brought up pretty often and I've found that there are a few complainers who reply, but most people including ones who hate smoke do admit that it's rarely a problem. When the ship is moving the smoke seems to dissipate rather quickly. So they say.

What I hate is when someone gets totally annoyed by the smoke (I smoke) and DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING.

Worse is the people who stand there and wave their hand around and make annoyed faces. That'll just annoy me. Asking me to move won't.

This topic has been brought up pretty often and I've found that there are a few complainers who reply, but most people including ones who hate smoke do admit that it's rarely a problem. When the ship is moving the smoke seems to dissipate rather quickly. So they say.

What I hate is when someone gets totally annoyed by the smoke (I smoke) and DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING.

Worse is the people who stand there and wave their hand around and make annoyed faces. That'll just annoy me. Asking me to move won't.

If you are in a designated area for smoking.... why even care if someone is making those gestures. You are adhering to the guidelines set by the cruiseline and if they don't like the rules... they can cruise on a cruiseline that meets THEIR requirements regarding smoking !

If you are in a designated area for smoking.... why even care if someone is making those gestures. You are adhering to the guidelines set by the cruiseline and if they don't like the rules... they can cruise on a cruiseline that meets THEIR requirements regarding smoking !

You're absolutely right. I guess I wasn't clear. In my mind I was kinda going off topic and just referring to, say, when you're standing on the street and someone does it. I try to be considerate. When I'm standing at a crowded crosswalk, say, in Manhattan, I always try to stand away from the crowd if I'm smoking.

Today I went to see the Mets play at the new Citi Field. (Hello, most gorgeous stadium ever built.) To have one cigarette before the game started, I had to go to a tiny BARRACADED area, way out in left field on the ground level. It took me a good 10 minutes to walk there and down the stairs.

I used to be able to smoke in my SEAT! (Which I completely understand them stopping...)

Now back to our topic. We're talking about smoking on a cruise here, right? :)

i am not a every day smoker, but I do enjoy the occasional cigar. especially when I am overseas seeing as I can purchase Cubans, which is exactly what I will do when I am in Barcelona in a few days. I will most certainly enjoy smoking them out on my balcony this weekend. (wow did i just say "this weekend?!")

We booked a balcony cabin so we can enjoy fresh air. I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke, so I wonder how to ask my neighbors to inform me before they light up so I can close the door to keep the smoke from drifting into my room. It's not that I hate the smell, but I start coughing and wheezing when around smoke, even if I can't smell it I will start having an asthma attack.

give em a knock and ask politely. it goes a long way. I was smoking a cigar out by a local hotel pool the other day, which I am allowed to do as a paying guest, and pool security came up to me and asked if i could stand in the back and finish my cigar because somebody complained... I had a pretty good idea who it was, and I really had no problem moving to the isolated spot (although I would have liked to remain on my chair) but what pissed me off was the person who was too cowardly to come ask me to do it themselves. it really says a lot about a person. hell, i wouldn't mind if they were even semi rude, so long as they acted like an adult and spoke directly to me instead of going behind my back. I appreciate someone who can look someone in the eye, even if they aren't sure they will be pleased with what you have to say. complaining to someone else is more annoying then someone asking me or even telling me to go elsewhere and do it. I respect that, and sadly, it has happened very few times.

Well I have thought of a good answer to my problem. I will put a note on the door of each cabin beside ours and if they have a problem they can let me know. I agree with everyone just come talk to me and everything is fine.

Well I have thought of a good answer to my problem. I will put a note on the door of each cabin beside ours and if they have a problem they can let me know. I agree with everyone just come talk to me and everything is fine.

I've actually stuck my head around the balcony when my neighbors were out and asked them to let me know if the smoking bothered them. I'm happy to wait until they're in their cabin to light up. So far, knock on wood, I've never had any problems.

Is that correct? A port side balcony is non smoking? The smoking policy isn't exactly clear on this. It says smoking is only permitted on the starboard side but then goes on to say it is permitted on oceanview balconies.

I agree, it is only the outside decks that the smoking policy pertains to, not the cabins. Smoking is allowed on all balcony cabins which is where the issues arise. You never know if your neighbor is a smoker.

Kudos to all the 'friendly' smokers out there who ask there neighbors to let them know if the smoke bothers them. We are a family of non smokers but have never had a problem with this in the past. My DD is very sensitive and once on a cruise while on the balcony she commented on smelling cigarette smoke, I couldn't smell it and told her she must be imagining. She leaned out and what do you know about 3 cabins down there was someone with a cigarette on their balcony! So yes, there are some people that are very sensitive. Hopefully we can all live together and let everyone enjoy their cruise! A little sensitivity to others can go a long way!

Well, I do smoke and I'm sorry if it will offend those around me on my balcony when I'm out there to have a smoke. However, I paid for this cruise (as well as you...) and I am to abide by the rules and smoke in designated areas, which include my balcony. So, I will not feel bad sitting on my balcony and enjoying my time, can't smoke in the cabin, so the next place to go is on my balcony. To those who hate the smell and cough and wheez, make funny jesters, etc., sorry, I but I won't be sticking my head around my balcony and asking if I can have a smoke. Until RCCL changes their policy, I will stick to mine.

Now flame away. I'm sick of these smoking threads and just finally had to give my shpeal.

Good for you-- I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate your courtesy. Your attitude is one of the best I've seen on the subject. :) Hope you have a great cruise!

Archived