Volendam Alaska???

seamare

After cruising on the Volendam , (along with the past 2 posters who were in our CC roll call) this was the first cruise we have done, that made us feel quite depressed afterwards...not because we got off, but because we had been on it.

this recent HAL review is interesting

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=55188

we loved the itenary from Hong Kong to Vancouver but we also were depressed afterwards and agree: not becos we got off in Vancouver but that we had been on this ship for 33 days. Sad but true HAL persons at the head office who are implementing new rules and regulations to safe cost are not realizing what they are doing to the guests. We had 7 great cruises on Prinsendam but after this trip on Volendam ......HAL has lost a fervent admirer. Luckily there is Oceania Cruises as well.

Peter

We just spent 70 days on the Volendam -- March 19 to May 20 (Sydney to Vancouver) and May 20 to May 27 (Alaska Inside Passage).

We cruise quite often. Very often. These were our 24th and 25th cruises (on various cruise lines). In the last 12 months, we went on five cruises for a total of 147 days on many different ships.

The Volendam is an older ship, and it shows. For example, our cabin experienced plumbing problems almost daily -- the toilet often did not flush, in the mornings there was brown water from the sink faucet, and the bathtub drain was cloged. And that's just the bathroom. We called the front desk regularly about these problems, and each time we were told, "They're working on it." But maintenance never showed up. Not once. We had Open Seating, and this was a common problem experienced by many other passengers we spoke with.

Problems like these occurred ship-wide. One day in the main theatre, the fire sprinklers malfunctioned and sprayed the audience during an afternoon event.

Throughout our 70 days onboard, we watched HAL cut back in many areas. (Perhaps this is a reflection of the economy, and is industrywide.) We observed a reduction in crewmembers, as many were let go when we reached Indonesia and were not replaced. This resulted in a noticable decline in crew morale. The crewmembers were stretched so thin, it was no match to even our last HAL cruise in December 2008.

Similarly, the variety of foods available became increasingly limited. For example, on May 20 in Vancouver, a new Lido boss came onboard. After that, at dinnertime you couldn't always get the same entrees in the Lido that were served in the main dining room. Also, in the morning, at times "frozen concentrate" orange juice was passed off as "fresh squeezed."

Sadly, the Volendam "Alaska Inside Passage" cruise did not meet our expectations.

Woody

Gday Woody,

i didnt hear about the fire sprinklers going off in the main theatre, were the crew running around handing out DAM umbrellas for passengers??:D

Its sad to know that this thread wont be here long to warn off other potential HAL customers. Seems to be a ''coverup'' going on with all negative thread mysteriously disappearing!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a side note, we had a FANTASTIC 8 days in Vancouver and are flying home to Sydney tonight.

. . . On a side note, we had a FANTASTIC 8 days in Vancouver and are flying home to Sydney tonight.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed Vancouver, as it is a vibrant city. Have a smooth flight home.

Woody

Were they actually sick when they got on? I wonder how they got passed the health declaration check?

:confused::confused::confused:

This is a great question and actually one that I would like to know the answer to.

The code red started at sail-away. The first announcement came when dh and I were unpacking before dinner and after leaving Vancouver. Lunch in the Lido was normal...no plastic wrap, etc. And we learned very quickly who was sick. If they were honest and filled out the health questionnaire correctly...will they be allowed to board? I do also know that 4 people did not board in Vancouver, but joined later in the cruise. Not sure if it was due to illness or missed the connection.

Saowales [no need to ask where in the UK you are from: I am down the A55 from you!] and TobiasFunke will look forward to bumping into you on the Cruise.

What excursions have you guys booked? [sory for the side-track folks!]

We have only booked one excursion so far, Misty Fjords Jetboat tour. I hope you have some events planned pre and post cruise in Canada. You will enjoy our country. Additionally I am not worried right now about the cruise or poor service. We will judge everything for ourselves. I think that bad things do happen but we will approach everything with a positive attitude. It is our annual family vacation after all.

Shayne.

We are also on the Volendam 29 July cruise , its our 1st ever cruise, we were getting a bit concerned after the recent reports. We are travelling from the UK , we have no cruise to compare it to and are looking forward to the views and the ports we visit. Look forward to any recent reviews of the alaskan trips.

Lovely ship great crew and charming public areas. The ship was spotless and the food and service was excellent. Sometimes when people get ill or have a not so good cruise their anger and frustration can cloud their impression of a particular ship. Enjoy the Volendam, we did.

We were just on the Volendam 5/20 sailing to Alaska. Out of one to ten, we both agreed this cruise was a ten+. Better than I could have possibly imagined. Was it perfect? No, but given the fact that the cruise line has to please 1300 people, it was a ten. I'd sail her again in a heartbeat!

If you are positive person and not a whiner or cry baby, you will have a fantastic time.

Were they actually sick when they got on? I wonder how they got passed the health declaration check?

We were onboard when the Code Red was announced.

On May 20, shortly after the 4:15 pm muster drill, the captain announced the Code Red, saying that some people were on a pre-cruise tour and contracted the gastro intestinal virus in British Columbia.

The next morning at breakfast, we met some people who were with that group tour. It was a "land and sea" package run by Scenic Tours. They had stayed at various Westmark Hotels, a HAL company. They had several buses of people, and some people became very ill on the bus or train ride. At least one "Scenic Tours" tour guide accompanied the group onto the ship. (We saw her having dinner by herself in the main dining room, but she gladly greeted and answered questions by people in her group.)

So, Scenic Tours knew that some of its clients were sick before boarding. I'm not going to speculate whether HAL knew that sick passengers were boarding.

Woody

I, too, have been reading the negatives reviews of the Voldendam as we are sailing July 8th out of Vancouver to Alaska. As this is our 3rd cruise, (1st on RCCL, 2nd Princess),I have noticed by reading these message boards it is very easy to get caught up in negatives postings and assume that you will have a less than pleasant trip. I remember reading passengers reviews (which would focus on the negative) about RCCL, then Princess before each of our trips, and I decided to just ignore them and see for ourselves. Both of our trips were great and I am glad I didn't board with a negative attitude. I guess you could always find something negative to report, but each cruise has taught me to go into each trip with an open mind that it will be a good trip. So, I am looking forward to our trip, don't regret booking it, and always appreciate it when other posters do have something positive to say.:)

We have only booked one excursion so far, Misty Fjords Jetboat tour. I hope you have some events planned pre and post cruise in Canada. You will enjoy our country. Additionally I am not worried right now about the cruise or poor service. We will judge everything for ourselves. I think that bad things do happen but we will approach everything with a positive attitude. It is our annual family vacation after all.

Shayne.

Thanks Shayne

My in-laws are Canadian so come over a bit. I will be in BC for a week before the cruise and then 2 weeks afterwards with the requisite trip to the Rockies:D

I have booked:

Harv&Marv Whale-watching

Helicopter Glacier Tour Skagway first thing; then hopefully get the WPYR train and a tour with a local guide (Dyea Dave - confirmation pending).

Island Wings FloatPlane Ketchikan

Archived