Volendam Alaska???

seamare

I've been anxiously awaiting anyones review or comments regarding the Volendam - the last cruise wasn't so warmly reviewed. Is there anyone out there that has taken this cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver? We are booked for August.

We were on a 14 day cruise starting in Vancouver last year, August 2008. It was pretty good. The ship is lovely and has plenty of wonderful public space. The itinerary was fantastic. We are taking a similar 14 day cruise this summer, on the Ryndam, and overall we were very happy.

People tend to dwell on the negative. The food was good, but not always luxurious. It appears that almost all the food is loaded onto the ship in Vancouver, so the shrimp got smaller and fruit went from fresh to canned by day 14. We stopped going to the shows because it was more entertaining to sit on deck and take in the scenery (it doesn't get dark until pretty late). I don't think any of the negatives were that significant.

We did not think the Pinnicle Grill on the Volendam was worth the surcharge. We had pretty bad luck with our dining companions (our first table companions missed the boat in Vancouver and we sat at a table for six with three empty seats for several days; our second table companions included someone who was not healthy enough to travel and had to be taken to a hospital by helicopter). We met dozens of great people who we met for lunch, drinks, games of Scrabble, and great conversation, sharing a private tour of Ketchikan and just being really happy to be on the ship with so many people having such a good time. I think I liked my fellow passengers more on this cruise than on any other cruise that I have been on.

The gym is great and you can watch for whales while on a treadmill. The ship is small enough to get closer to calving glaciers than some megaships.

I can recommend the Volendam for a cruise to Alaska without hesitation.

I've been anxiously awaiting anyones review or comments regarding the Volendam - the last cruise wasn't so warmly reviewed. Is there anyone out there that has taken this cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver? We are booked for August.

I know what you mean I to am concerned about these bad reviews. I am sailing on Wednesday June 3rd and will let you know how I see things. This is my first cruise so have no past experiences. I am looking forward to it and have a very positive attitude.

wooooooohoooooooo.....finally its here!

We spent two weeks on the Volendam in Jan/Feb of this year. Sure, there were some problems, but nothing that would keep us from sailing on her again. Every cruise is what YOU make it. Go with the attitude that you will have a good time and you will. Don't let another's sour grapes ruin your good time. Enjoy every minute and just be grateful that you can go and see the beauty before you. Happy cruising!

Glad to see this thread. I am booked on the Volendam for the Inside Passage Cruise on 29th July and I was concerned by some of the comments on the 2 negative threads...

I note though that they are related to Far Eastern Cruises and not the INside Passage...

I am booked on the Volendam for the Inside Passage Cruise on 29th July and I was concerned by some of the comments on the 2 negative threads...

I note though that they are related to Far Eastern Cruises and not the INside Passage...

Me too! See you on the 29th.

Shayne.

Glad to hear some responses - I'm hoping that it was just a few people with very negative comments. I've found that with other lines that I've been on also. This is the first time for sailing with Holland so I really don't know what to expect. Therefore I'm consistently reading all I can. I'm hoping that a 7 day versus the extended trips will be better.

I have travelled on the VOLENDAM on a number of occasions and I have nothing but good to say about this ship. I first sailed her in November of 2001 and I liked it then. I have sailed her since, the last time being two years ago when she was going from Vancouver to Seward and back again. I have always liked this ship and she is one of my favorites.

Dh and I were on the Volendam May 20-27 of this year. This was the cruise directly after the "bad" cruise from Australia. We had a great time. Had no problems at all. Thought the food was very good, very diverse. I will say the only thing that I read on those reviews that seems to be accurate is that in the DR the steaks are undercooked. I learned quickly to order it a little more done than I normally would. And I say if your steak is undercooked then just send it back. No need to make that the reason that you have a bad cruise.

The staff was awesome. I saw no animosity or problems among the staff. We were in Code Red for 5 days ( a tour group already traveling together prior to the cruise were sick when they boarded.) and the entertainment crew was helping with the serving in the Lido during lunch and all the staff and passengers were having a great time joking back and forth. We had told our steward that we didn't need turn down service because he was so busy with all the extra code red duties. He reluctantly agreed, but only skipped one night!!! :)

The itinerary is awesome. Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay really add a lot to the cruise. I had expected to be closer to the land since we were sailing the inside passage, but the ship went through really open passages. So going through Tracy Arm fulfilled my idea of what the cruise was going to be like.

I will be honest and say that that the whole cruise was not perfect, but the small problems that we did have were just not enough to make a difference to us. But we are also people who don't expect perfection. As long as the food is good; the itinerary is good; and we have a clean bed to sleep in......all the little stuff will take care of themselves.

Enjoy and have a great time!!

Dh and I were on the Volendam May 20-27 of this year. This was the cruise directly after the "bad" cruise from Australia. We had a great time. Had no problems at all. Thought the food was very good, very diverse. I will say the only thing that I read on those reviews that seems to be accurate is that in the DR the steaks are undercooked. I learned quickly to order it a little more done than I normally would. And I say if your steak is undercooked then just send it back. No need to make that the reason that you have a bad cruise.

The staff was awesome. I saw no animosity or problems among the staff. We were in Code Red for 5 days ( a tour group already traveling together prior to the cruise were sick when they boarded.) and the entertainment crew was helping with the serving in the Lido during lunch and all the staff and passengers were having a great time joking back and forth. We had told our steward that we didn't need turn down service because he was so busy with all the extra code red duties. He reluctantly agreed, but only skipped one night!!! :)

The itinerary is awesome. Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay really add a lot to the cruise. I had expected to be closer to the land since we were sailing the inside passage, but the ship went through really open passages. So going through Tracy Arm fulfilled my idea of what the cruise was going to be like.

I will be honest and say that that the whole cruise was not perfect, but the small problems that we did have were just not enough to make a difference to us. But we are also people who don't expect perfection. As long as the food is good; the itinerary is good; and we have a clean bed to sleep in......all the little stuff will take care of themselves.

So glad to read your post. I don't think any cruise is "perfect" - we've been on 14 on various lines, this will be our first on Holland and our first time for Alaska. I chose this one basically for the itinerary and for the fact that it leaves on Wednesday - hoping that the ports wouldn't be as crowded. I will have to remember to order my steaks well done - or should it be medium well if I like it just pink?

We were on an early leg (Sydney-Singapore) of the 'supposed' cruise from hell and we had a wonderful time. I was really shocked to see such negativity on the two threads on these boards relating to that cruise. I admit that I cannot speak for anything that happened after Singapore (and we did not eat at the Pinnacle so I cannot address that issue either) but up to disembarking in Singapore, everything was good to excellent.

Was it perfect? Of course not and embarkation in Sydney was a real travesty. :eek: But was it a wonderful cruise? -- indeed it was. The ship was in fine shape, the crew was attentive and smiley, the food was good to very good and the people who we met were lovely and were all enjoying themselves.

Don't worry about your upcoming cruise. Enjoy yourself!

Was it perfect? Of course not and embarkation in Sydney was a real travesty. :eek: But was it a wonderful cruise? -- indeed it was. The ship was in fine shape, the crew was attentive and smiley, the food was good to very good and the people who we met were lovely and were all enjoying themselves.

Nice to hear some balanced reports of the Volendam...

:D:D:D

We were in Code Red for 5 days ( a tour group already traveling together prior to the cruise were sick when they boarded.)

Were they actually sick when they got on? I wonder how they got passed the health declaration check?

:confused::confused::confused:

Sounds like it - shame they are all over these boards like a bad rash :rolleyes:

So are you stating that only good comments can be made on these boards. That wouldnt give a very good reflection on the good AND the bad of cruising would it??

Were they actually sick when they got on? I wonder how they got passed the health declaration check?

:confused::confused::confused:

The health declaration check is an absolute farce. My wife and i were at the front of the queue to get off the Volendam in Vancouver after coming from Kobe. An official came on board and asked a lady from the pursers desk "Has anybody on board been sick?'' to which the reply was ''No''.

Tell me, how is that a health declaration??

We were on an early leg (Sydney-Singapore) of the 'supposed' cruise from hell and we had a wonderful time. I was really shocked to see such negativity on the two threads on these boards relating to that cruise. I admit that I cannot speak for anything that happened after Singapore (and we did not eat at the Pinnacle so I cannot address that issue either) but up to disembarking in Singapore, everything was good to excellent.

Great to hear that your leg of the cruise was wonderful...wish I could say mine was just as wonderful. I was on from Hong Kong to Vancouver, and I must say I quite agree with most of the comments I read on the 2 threads. However, I was quite disappointed with a number of posters (who weren't even on the cruise) and how they twisted words, made extremely rude comments, and totally belittled fellow posters. IMO, the threads started out as comments and observations about the OP's cruise experience, but their comments were twisted and the thread morphed from "Volendam Not So Good Cruise" to "The Cruise from Hell".

Overall, I don't think the cruise was a catastrophe (it was, however, the most unpleasant cruise I've been on)...yes, there were many, many issues that the Volendam needs to address (IMO). For those who are already booked on the Volendam for an Alaska cruise this summer, I wouldn't cancel my booking just yet. A lot of these statements are quite subjective and they may or may not apply to you (hopefully they won't and you'll have a wonderful time). Or they may be issues that surfaced due to the repositioning and length of the cruise (and as such won't apply to you either). Anyhow, hope you have a splendid time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments.

Dh and I were on the Volendam May 20-27 of this year... We were in Code Red for 5 days ( a tour group already traveling together prior to the cruise were sick when they boarded.) and the entertainment crew was helping with the serving in the Lido during lunch and all the staff and passengers were having a great time joking back and forth...

When did you find out the group of people were sick? I had some friends on your cruise (May 20-27) and they found out during an announcement made at the muster drill (which would have been about 4 or 5 pm...even before the ship sailed away). Wouldn't that mean the staff on the ship knew these people were sick very shortly after embarkation (or worse even before embarkation)? IMO, that's a very scary thought.

I agree...the most important things about a cruise are the food, the itinerary, and a good clean room/bed. However, the other stuff is significant too as it enhances (or strains) the entire cruise experience.

We are also on the Volendam 29 July cruise , its our 1st ever cruise, we were getting a bit concerned after the recent reports. We are travelling from the UK , we have no cruise to compare it to and are looking forward to the views and the ports we visit. Look forward to any recent reviews of the alaskan trips.

I've been on some great cruises and some that did not meet our expectations. In all honesty though, we have always had a great vacation. Just being together and exploring different areas that we haven't seen before. I'm looking at this as its only one week, we are just testing the waters of Alaska, not doing a trip of a life time. So if the Volendam is what it is and there are issues, well we just won't be back. There are plenty of other ships to chose from. I had tried to do the research before hand and was not finding that much objectionable issues at the time. I know we WILL have a great vacation.

Saowales [no need to ask where in the UK you are from: I am down the A55 from you!] and TobiasFunke will look forward to bumping into you on the Cruise.

What excursions have you guys booked? [sory for the side-track folks!]

We just spent 70 days on the Volendam -- March 19 to May 20 (Sydney to Vancouver) and May 20 to May 27 (Alaska Inside Passage).

We cruise quite often. Very often. These were our 24th and 25th cruises (on various cruise lines). In the last 12 months, we went on five cruises for a total of 147 days on many different ships.

The Volendam is an older ship, and it shows. For example, our cabin experienced plumbing problems almost daily -- the toilet often did not flush, in the mornings there was brown water from the sink faucet, and the bathtub drain was cloged. And that's just the bathroom. We called the front desk regularly about these problems, and each time we were told, "They're working on it." But maintenance never showed up. Not once. We had Open Seating, and this was a common problem experienced by many other passengers we spoke with.

Problems like these occurred ship-wide. One day in the main theatre, the fire sprinklers malfunctioned and sprayed the audience during an afternoon event.

Throughout our 70 days onboard, we watched HAL cut back in many areas. (Perhaps this is a reflection of the economy, and is industrywide.) We observed a reduction in crewmembers, as many were let go when we reached Indonesia and were not replaced. This resulted in a noticable decline in crew morale. The crewmembers were stretched so thin, it was no match to even our last HAL cruise in December 2008.

Similarly, the variety of foods available became increasingly limited. For example, on May 20 in Vancouver, a new Lido boss came onboard. After that, at dinnertime you couldn't always get the same entrees in the Lido that were served in the main dining room. Also, in the morning, at times "frozen concentrate" orange juice was passed off as "fresh squeezed."

Sadly, the Volendam "Alaska Inside Passage" cruise did not meet our expectations.

Woody

After cruising on the Volendam , (along with the past 2 posters who were in our CC roll call) this was the first cruise we have done, that made us feel quite depressed afterwards...not because we got off, but because we had been on it.

this recent HAL review is interesting

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=55188

Just got back from the very same cruise today and we're still sick after getting what was likely Norwalk virus. I would avoid the Volendam like the plague and wouldn't risk any of HAL's ships after what happened to me.

Quite frankly, one of the WORST experiences ever.

Archived