Travel with children of a different surname

:):) Hi

Work mate had issues recently boarding her cruise to Cork on Independence. She is divorced and re-married her daughter retains her fathers name. They were not going to allow them to embark on their cruise.

This caused lots of problems her daughter is 9 and became increasingly upset. Work mate did not have her daughters birth certificate or divorce papers with her. They did board in the end but apparently she was saying there is not anything in the conditions of travel regarding this issue.

I informed her when we travelled last year on Enchantment with my grandson we had been advised to have a noterised paper giving permission from my daughter and her estranged partner for him to travel with us. We did have the paperwork but were never asked for it but I would rather be prepared just in case.

I believe this is national law and not just RCI rules.

Scotfi

Yep, it's a shame she wasn't informed of this before she left, could have saved her some trouble.

We discuss this alot on the Family Board. They won't keep you off the ship for having too much documentation. ;) There are many that don't think that this should be a problem.

So, in case others are reading this....if you are traveling with children and BOTH parents aren't traveling together - you will need extra documentation. It doesn't matter if you are STILL MARRIED, doesn't matter if you are divorced, doesn't matter if the bio parent is dead, missing or on Mars...you NEED paperwork to back you up.

I am leaving with my kids on Sunday. My husband who I am still married to won't be there, I WILL have a letter from him saying I can take his children out of the country.

If you go to the RCL page, there is the box that says important updates, there is a link to taking minors under there and some changes. I must admit, I have a different surname to my children, and whenever we traveled (and we traveled a lot) it never caused a problem, but is does appear that they are tightening up.

Yep, it's a shame she wasn't informed of this before she left, could have saved her some trouble.

We discuss this alot on the Family Board. They won't keep you off the ship for having too much documentation. ;) There are many that don't think that this should be a problem.

So, in case others are reading this....if you are traveling with children and BOTH parents aren't traveling together - you will need extra documentation. It doesn't matter if you are STILL MARRIED, doesn't matter if you are divorced, doesn't matter if the bio parent is dead, missing or on Mars...you NEED paperwork to back you up.

I am leaving with my kids on Sunday. My husband who I am still married to won't be there, I WILL have a letter from him saying I can take his children out of the country.

And hopefully bring them back again:D

If you go to the RCL page, there is the box that says important updates, there is a link to taking minors under there and some changes. I must admit, I have a different surname to my children, and whenever we traveled (and we traveled a lot) it never caused a problem, but is does appear that they are tightening up.

My wife and I have different last names. Both the kids have a third last name! Oddly enough we never thought to get any letter or anything nor did we need any such document. But I guess my kids look ugly enough to be my kids so no one bothers!

I am the only parent on my son's BC. Under Father, it says "Refused". My son and I have different last names. Will this be a problem?

Since you are the only parent listed you are fine - you need to bring the BC however to prove you are the only parent listed.

I have two sons and I am remarried. Obviously the boys have a different name than myself. We all have passports. I do have sole custody of the boys. The last two times we sailed, we showed nothing but the passports.

I think every experience is different. When they were younger, and it was just us 3, I've also had letters and divorce papers in hand but they never asked for them (but lord knows I had a PILE of paperwork) and I had retained my maiden name at that time.

My son and I have different last names. Both times we have sailed, I've taken a notarized statement from his father with specific details about the flight and sailing. Also permission to obtain medical attention should there be an emergency. I haven't been asked for it yet, when boarding, but after saving up all year for a cruise, no way am I taking any chances! ;)

As far as I understand what they put in their brochure about this situation, if you are taking YOUR child, but there are different surnames, you need the paperwork to show why. So you need the full birth cert as this one shows names of parents and then anything that then shows why you may now have a different surname, i.e. divorce papers or wedding cert etc.

Simples, as the Meerkat would say!

.... but apparently she was saying there is not anything in the conditions of travel regarding this issue.....

Nothing telling her about this apart from.......

the section 5.3 in the T&Cs

the link when you do the online check in about travelling with minors

the section in the ticket booklet that mentions about different surnames

the link on the front page of the RCI website about minors (OK this is new)

the section on the website under FAQs about legal documents

and if she had a good travel agent they should have mentioned it to her too

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child travelling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarised copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Nothing telling her about this apart from.......

the section 5.3 in the T&Cs

the link when you do the online check in about travelling with minors

the section in the ticket booklet that mentions about different surnames

the link on the front page of the RCI website about minors (OK this is new)

the section on the website under FAQs about legal documents

and if she had a good travel agent they should have mentioned it to her too

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child travelling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarised copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Hui

I agree she should have been aware on looking at it myself it is ver clear and I was aware of it when we travelled.

I am sure she will be aware of it the next time.

Scotfi

My sister and her husband have different last names. Their son shares a last name with his father (her husband). The son is now 22YO but we traveled with them to Canada 8 or 9 years ago, and they were stopped and questioned (at some lenght) about the discrepency.

Now I know it is because D-BIL "looks" suspicious :D, but she claims that they were told that it was a random check.

In my divorce papers, I had a section added where it says that I am allowed to take the children out of the country for vacations. In addition to passports for my daughters, I also have laminated, certified copies of their birth certificates that I take with us (along with the divorce documents, of course). While the divorce documents do not specify the specific dates of travel, I send my ex an email with our vacation dates. I bring a copy of that email. With the email showing my vacation dates, the court documents saying that I am allowed to take the children out of the country for vacations, their passports and their birth certificates, I hope I have all the bases covered.

On our 2007 cruise they only asked for our passports. On our 2008 trip to Canada, only the passports were required.

This year for our August cruise, I will still take my packet of documents and see what happens. I'll have my fingers crossed until we are safely on the ship.

Archived