steveaaaaaaaaa... John's response

*Mach*

I disagree. Steve was searching for an answer to a question that has plagued this site over and over. I, quite frankly, appreciate his initiative...thanks Steve!!;)

BTW, would you mind his micromanaging...as your husband...if he ensured that he bought you the highest-quality diamond tennis bracelet possible.

Micro Managing a TIP vs. a PURCHASE such as you refer to is not in anyway similar. A major purchase like that is pricing for the best value at the best price... has no comparison to a Gratuity !

Does it matter???? :confused:

As a side note, I seriously doubt (despite John or Mach's 'efforts') that those that have issue with the auto tip will change their tune.

And that, of course, is perfectly fine!! :)

There were some concerns that some portion of the tips were being funneled off (I still don't know where that came from...) and we now have answers that should placate pretty much everyone!!

:)

And that, of course, is perfectly fine!! :)

There were some concerns that some portion of the tips were being funneled off (I still don't know where that came from...) and we now have answers that should placate pretty much everyone!!

Well thank you for getting that answer. It might help on some of the arguments from those who say they are removing the tips because they are so sure Carnival takes a cut.

thanks for clearing it up. now we know.

Well thank you for getting that answer. It might help on some of the arguments from those who say they are removing the tips because they are so sure Carnival takes a cut.

thanks for clearing it up. now we know.

But those who remove tips and blame Carnival will surely find someone else to blame and remove them anyway!

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

Don't forget the color of the envelope, any words or markings, glue - self sticking or licking, Security envelope or not?

John answered your question today:

And so we have the answer... the tips go 100% to those who so well deserve them!! Good news!!

Mach,

Thanks for posting it.Glad to know they get 100%.

As I stated before in a prior posting I will stay out of tipping threads now.:).

As a gesture of goodwill, on my upcoming cruise, I will leave the auto-tip on.:eek::D

Steve

Mach,

Thanks for posting it.Glad to know they get 100%.

As I stated before in a prior posting I will stay out of tipping threads now.:).

As a gesture of goodwill, on my upcoming cruise, I will leave the auto-tip on. :eek::D

Steve

Good for you! I promise it won't hurt!!!

:D ;)

Well I can not speak for Steveaaaa, but as for me, if I hand my server a tip what happens to that tip after it leaves my hand, I have no control over. BUT, if the "boss" of where ever I am wants me to give him the whole amount so he can pass it out as he sees fit, then I do want to know EXACTLY where that tip is going.

Because at that point, what he (the boss) thinks is appropriate division of the money may not be what I (the tipper) feels is appropriate.

When "the boss" decides how my tip money is spread out, then I have a right to know is anything taken off the top for "processing fee", is it being split with people I have no interest in tipping, and other things. If I have decided to reward my server with $3.50 for his good job serving me, then I expect him to get $3.50 no matter who is passing the tip out.

Very Good Points!!! I'm with you on this matter. I now Tip the person(s) responsible for providing me the service.

I disagree. Steve was searching for an answer to a question that has plagued this site over and over. I, quite frankly, appreciate his initiative...thanks Steve!!;)

BTW, would you mind his micromanaging...as your husband...if he ensured that he bought you the highest-quality diamond tennis bracelet possible.

Micro Managing a TIP vs. a PURCHASE such as you refer to is not in anyway similar. A major purchase like that is pricing for the best value at the best price... has no comparison to a Gratuity !

This is kinda what I was thinking. For example, I do detailed searches for prices when I am getting ready for a vacation. I don't then worry how much of my money is going to (for example) ongoing pilot training, whether my money is being split fairly among the airlines and airports, whether they are using Goodyear or Michelin tires on the planes, whether the flight attendants are getting their cut of my money, etc.

Again, my point that if employees were getting stiffed and Steveaaaaaa suggested, I doubt very highly that there would be any long term employees on board. Some things are just common sense, but also know that common sense is not shared equally among the general population.

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

Once again you hit the nail on the head, Pete. While I know this was said tongue in cheek, it really does a good job of describing the level of micromanagaing I pray to never have to live by.

This is kinda what I was thinking. For example, I do detailed searches for prices when I am getting ready for a vacation. I don't then worry how much of my money is going to (for example) ongoing pilot training, whether my money is being split fairly among the airlines and airports, whether they are using Goodyear or Michelin tires on the planes, whether the flight attendants are getting their cut of my money, etc.

Again, my point that if employees were getting stiffed and Steveaaaaaa suggested, I doubt very highly that there would be any long term employees on board. Some things are just common sense, but also know that common sense is not shared equally among the general population.

I think something has gotten lost over the countless threads over a long period of time in regards to how it started.

I always would rather tip in cash and that was how it was several years ago.If it was good enough back then its good enough now. Many asked why I just don't leave the auto tip on and why I would stand in a long line to remove the auto tip. First, as a Platinum,there never was a line:D,

Second I always thought that the best way to insure they got the whole tip was to give them cash this way no upper management would be able to take a piece and that no administrative charges such as credit card settlement fee's, payroll fee's,ect would be taken out.(the management thought was based on job postings for a few upper management housekeeping jobs all getting a salary based on tips)

I have now been given proof that the crew does get 100% with nothing at all taken out.

I will accept what JH has stated, but I will inquire further at the stockholders meeting.(Yes I do attend,how else can I write off my expenses associated with my hotel in the keys:eek:.)

The thought of millions being absorbed does make me wonder. (figured on 2% settlement fee's on roughly $200,000 per week per ship ($4,000 per voyage) X52 weeks is $200,000 per ship per year x 22 ships is $4 million plus)

Steve

I think something has gotten lost over the countless threads over a long period of time in regards to how it started.

I always would rather tip in cash and that was how it was several years ago.If it was good enough back then its good enough now. Many asked why I just don't leave the auto tip on and why I would stand in a long line to remove the auto tip. First, as a Platinum,there never was a line:D,

Second I always thought that the best way to insure they got the whole tip was to give them cash this way no upper management would be able to take a piece and that no administrative charges such as credit card settlement fee's, payroll fee's,ect would be taken out.(the management thought was based on job postings for a few upper management housekeeping jobs all getting a salary based on tips)

I have now been given proof that the crew does get 100% with nothing at all taken out.

I will accept what JH has stated, but I will inquire further at the stockholders meeting.(Yes I do attend,how else can I write off my expenses associated with my hotel in the keys:eek:.)

The thought of millions being absorbed does make me wonder. (figured on 2% settlement fee's on roughly $200,000 per week per ship ($4,000 per voyage) X52 weeks is $200,000 per ship per year x 22 ships is $4 million plus)

Steve

That is the part I am having trouble believing. I figure they may get a very low rate, but I doubt lower then 1.5%. Carnival COULD be absorbing it, but judging by other actions they take, I am not too sure.

I would appreciate your letting me know when you find out for sure Steve.

That is the part I am having trouble believing. I figure they may get a very low rate, but I doubt lower then 1.5%. Carnival COULD be absorbing it, but judging by other actions they take, I am not too sure.

For the moment, we have resolved this point and should Steveaaaaaaa find out something different it might be worth a new thread at that point but for the moment I think we've taken this as far as is reasonable... probably much further...

I will, but as Mach pointed out that is another thread, probably in about a year as that is when the next meeting I will attend will be.

Steve

So let me get this straight.....Even if (but the info says not) Carnival takes let's say 1.5% for the processing of CC's. On $10 that is 15 CENTS people. That is split between 5 people. So let me see...that would be 21 CENTS per person.......Per week........That is a whole $8 per contract......

I am LMAO over this.......

I will, but as Mach pointed out that is another thread, probably in about a year as that is when the next meeting I will attend will be.

Steve

Thanks, I can wait a year. Took this long to find out what we have so far.

So let me get this straight.....Even if (but the info says not) Carnival takes let's say 1.5% for the processing of CC's. On $10 that is 15 CENTS people. That is split between 5 people. So let me see...that would be 21 CENTS per person.......Per week........That is a whole $8 per contract......

I am LMAO over this.......

Once again you miss the point. I do not care if the worker has to pay the cc processing fee, that is life. Not to mention I can not figure out where you come up with the "it is only $8 per contract" figure, because that would mean they are only getting around $534 per contract. (may not be exact, I did it in my head) And for a 9 month contract they are easily getting more around the $18,000 figure, so 1.5% of that would be $270. I am LMAO at your fuzzy math logic.

For me it comes down to have we been told the absolute truth. And maybe we have, however that particuliar question has been basically skirted several times now in my opinion. So that makes me want to know all the more.

Archived