steveaaaaaaaaa... John's response

*Mach*

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

I hear rolls of nickles are best, since they hit harder than dimes or pennies if the service was bad:p

It seems as though JH has issued his final statement regarding this tipping issue and since at this point there is no other info to refute this issue, it will be what it is. I guess I get confused when in my experience a Service Crew Member has told that me they don't like the the "Tipping Pool" system because they get shorted by the company and yes they said by the company. They said they were leaving at the end of their contract because of that policy. Maybe they were confused and should have talked with JH to get it staightened out.

BTW, I too now prefer to give my Tips directly to those providing the service for me, no more Auto-Tips.

It seems as though JH has issued his statement regarding this tipping issue and since at this point there is no other info to say refute this claims. It will be what it is. I guess I get confused when in my experience a Service Crew Members has told that they don't like the the "Tipping Pool" system because they got shorted by the company. They said they were leaving at the end of their contract because of that policy. Maybe they were confused and should talk with JH to get it staightened out. I too now prefer to give my Tips directly to those providing the service for me.

Ted it is a personal thing. I know you and others will reward good service. But some will not and by removing the tip will ripoff the workers. I leave the tip on the SS and then tip more when I think it is excellent service. Not saying the way I do it is best just another option.

Ted it is a personal thing. I know you and others will reward good service. But some will not and by removing the tip will ripoff the workers. I leave the tip on the SS and then tip more when I think it is excellent service. Not saying the way I do it is best just another option.

Exactly, I don't think getting into the intimate details about how much I tip or you tip and reportedly how eternally grateful the service staff are when they get big tips from some of the folks here really needs to be put out for public consumption, unless there is another agenda at hand. Tip what you think is fair, use the cruiseline recommendations to guide you and don't look back.

So let me get this straight.....Even if (but the info says not) Carnival takes let's say 1.5% for the processing of CC's. On $10 that is 15 CENTS people. That is split between 5 people. So let me see...that would be 21 CENTS per person.......Per week........That is a whole $8 per contract......

I am LMAO over this.......

Now finish it. Thats $8 per person per week so whats the total contract based on people they serve.

Steve

John did a great job of discussing this issue in the answers to some questions in his blog. Here is the link to the day in question. Scroll down and look at the questions and answers there are two or three different ones on topic.

Thanks so much for this link, I had heard about it but never had the chance to check it out - :)

Tips will always be a huge discussion topic but thanks so much to Mach for posting and answering some of the questions we all had. I am happy to hear that Carnival does not skim off the tips

So when I put my tip on my credit card at a restaurant (rarely do but if I did) the server would not get the full tip?

There is no cut taken by the restaurant if you leave a tip on a credit card, the server gets the entire tip. The restaurant pays a percentage to the credit card company.

Servers give a percentage of the tip to the busboy, bartender, cook, hostess in most situations. Serving is a team effort.

THE END

That is the part I am having trouble believing. I figure they may get a very low rate, but I doubt lower then 1.5%. Carnival COULD be absorbing it, but judging by other actions they take, I am not too sure.

I would appreciate your letting me know when you find out for sure Steve.

Wait ... do you want to know what percentage their credit card processors are taking? That's easy. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard get 2% of any Visa, MC or Discover transactions. Amex gets 5% of any Amex transactions. That's industry standard for the Big 3 cards (plus the jumped-up Sears charge). Carnival, on a daily basis, pays 2% of any Visa transactions to Visa through their licensing banks, 2% of any MC transactions through their various licensing banks, 2% of any Discover charges to Discover Bank, and 5% of any Amex charges to American Express Financial. Those charges go through a clearing house every night and are processed out from there.

Wait ... do you want to know what percentage their credit card processors are taking? That's easy. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard get 2% of any Visa, MC or Discover transactions. Amex gets 5% of any Amex transactions. That's industry standard for the Big 3 cards (plus the jumped-up Sears charge).

Generally true, but these rates can be negotiated. Additionally, the *type* of transaction can also yield different rates. Card-present are typically lowest, with web-based and MOTO somewhat higher.

Generally true, but these rates can be negotiated. Additionally, the *type* of transaction can also yield different rates. Card-present are typically lowest, with web-based and MOTO somewhat higher.

Of course, but do you really think a corporation the size of Carnival is going to end up with a higher rate based on the volume of their charges? Or course not. They might have some different rates when it comes to their clearing house due to the structure of their business, but again, it's a volume business and largely automated.

And to piggyback on that, that's the type of charge that is more than likely passed onto the shareholder and not detracted from the employees. That's the price of running the business, it usually falls to the stockholders to pay. I'd have to check CCL's financials for the last fiscal year, but I'd bet there's something in there about this type of thing.

Wait ... do you want to know what percentage their credit card processors are taking? That's easy. Visa, Discover, and MasterCard get 2% of any Visa, MC or Discover transactions. Amex gets 5% of any Amex transactions. That's industry standard for the Big 3 cards (plus the jumped-up Sears charge). Carnival, on a daily basis, pays 2% of any Visa transactions to Visa through their licensing banks, 2% of any MC transactions through their various licensing banks, 2% of any Discover charges to Discover Bank, and 5% of any Amex charges to American Express Financial. Those charges go through a clearing house every night and are processed out from there.

Rates charged to business by credit card companies/processors are negotiable...there may be an industry standard but rates do vary depending on the amount of business processed. A small Mom and Pop operation will not pay the same rate as Walmart or Carnival.

Now I'm confused. Did you not mean this?

Yes I did and this thread is a borderline tipping thread,but the general topic appears to be credit charges.I am trying to answer questions directed at me.The whole thread was titled to me as well.I did not and have not posted to any other tipping topics.

Steve

Of course, but do you really think a corporation the size of Carnival is going to end up with a higher rate based on the volume of their charges? Or course not. They might have some different rates when it comes to their clearing house due to the structure of their business, but again, it's a volume business and largely automated.

And to piggyback on that, that's the type of charge that is more than likely passed onto the shareholder and not detracted from the employees. That's the price of running the business, it usually falls to the stockholders to pay. I'd have to check CCL's financials for the last fiscal year, but I'd bet there's something in there about this type of thing.

I looked but its vague.They lump too many things together.

This may need to be answered by Price waterhouse coopers.

A month before the meeting next year I will try and ask that they bring that info.

Steve

I didnt read it all. I think you all are jumping to the wrong conclusions though. Seems like some wanted to remove tips because they thought that Carnival was taking a cut of the automatic tips and Steve and some were on Carnival's side and trying to find a way to prove to them that Carnival was not taking a cut of the tips, they were all going to the workers.

Steve was FOR keeping the auto tips in place and not removing them.

WHAT??

That is 100% wrong.

Steveaaaa is/was the CHAMPION of automatically removing the auto-tip BECAUSE management was taking part of the auto-tip.. An invention of his mind.

Steveaaaa's position was/is to remove the auto-tip and tip in cash so management could not dip their fingers into the tip monies.

John Heald's reply states that Steveaaa's entire premise was 100% wrong.

There is no cut taken by the restaurant if you leave a tip on a credit card, the server gets the entire tip. The restaurant pays a percentage to the credit card company.

Servers give a percentage of the tip to the busboy, bartender, cook, hostess in most situations. Serving is a team effort.

THE END

That's my point.. why would Carnival be any different?

But that statement is not true of every restaurant. There is nothing that says they have to absorb the cost and not pass it on and the same would go for carnival.

Once before when we had a similar discussion, more than one waitress said the cc charges was taken out of the total they got.

My favorite local Mexican restaurant deducts the cc fee from tips so I always try to have cash to tip. My friend does not mind the cc fee she gets charged because she says the tips are usually bigger when they go on a cc. Plus the place is so popular and the service so good, tips tend to be pretty good. (except on the days INS is in town. I don't know what that means, just saying)

Each cruiseline has their own way of handling tips.

Same as some land restaurants the waiter gets 100%. At others they share a little with the bus boy. Others the Host, Hostess gets a taste as well. Maybe another share tips with all personnel. Whatever, however, I don't care.

I tip 20% of the charge. Who gets what out of that I don't care. Same with auto-tips on the ship, the room steward pays his assistant out of his tips OR he can do the whole job himself. I don't care. If the service is good and improves my dinner/cruise, I tip, and let the tips fall where they may!:rolleyes:

Now, can we find out how many 20's, 10's, 5's, 1's, and all coin denominations go to each of the tippees, and on what day at what hour, in what size envelope, faced up or down? :eek:

Assuming the envelope is opened in the normal fashion . . . green side in front or green side in back ? :eek:

Each cruiseline has their own way of handling tips.

Same as some land restaurants the waiter gets 100%. At others they share a little with the bus boy. Others the Host, Hostess gets a taste as well. Maybe another share tips with all personnel. Whatever, however, I don't care.

I tip 20% of the charge. Who gets what out of that I don't care. Same with auto-tips on the ship, the room steward pays his assistant out of his tips OR he can do the whole job himself. I don't care. If the service is good and improves my dinner/cruise, I tip, and let the tips fall where they may!:rolleyes:

I was talking about the credit card fee. My mom raised three kids working as a truck stop waitress so I know about sharing the tip with others. My son was dishwasher and eventually a pasta chef, so I know all about getting a piece of the tip from the waitress. If you ever wonder why the other table's waiter seems to get his/her food quicker, they probably tip the kitchen better.

If I was a waitress and the company passed a credit card fee on to me I'd hit the roof (if times were good I'd look for another job. That is a legitimate business expense the restaurant should be deducting on their tax return (too insignificant for the waiter)

Here's a solution...Why don't we let everyone who Tips decide for themselves how they want to Tip. It doesn't need to become an endless debate everytime this subject comes up. Cruiselines provide recommendations for appropriate amounts and they also provide the Auto-Tip feature, if you want to use either. The Passenger then could decide for themselves,without anyone's help, how much, who, when and where they want to do it. It really doen't matter. Tipping should be a private matter between the Tipper and the Tippee, not a subject beaten to death here or anywhere else. Whatever you Tip or how you choose to Tip will make no difference in how much I enjoy my Cruise. I know that may shock some of you, but I think most people can enjoy their cruise without board approval. Just something to think about.

But that statement is not true of every restaurant. There is nothing that says they have to absorb the cost and not pass it on and the same would go for carnival.

I suspect it is illegal - similar to it is illegal to charge one price for a cash transaction and a different price for a credit transaction.

It is ok, to give a cash discount for those paying with cash, but illegal to charge those paying with credit cards more.

Here's a solution...Why don't we let everyone who Tips decide for themselves how they want to Tip. It doesn't need to become an endless debate everytime this subject comes up. Cruiselines provide recommendations for appropriate amounts and they also provide the Auto-Tip feature, if you want to use either. The Passenger then could decide for themselves,without anyone's help, how much, who, when and where they want to do it. It really doen't matter. Tipping should be a private matter between the Tipper and the Tippee, not a subject beaten to death here or anywhere else. Whatever you Tip or how you choose to Tip will make no difference in how much I enjoy my Cruise. I know that may shock some of you, but I think most people can enjoy their cruise without board approval. Just something to think about.

Ted!!!! What do you think you are doing? Look at the responses to this thread they are personal and filled with emotion. Right...Wrong no where in between and you want to inject logic? What are you thinking? The next thing you know you will wish everyone a great cruise and start harmony and then what world peace? Stop now before this gets out of hand.:D

Archived