20 nights in Italy with carry on luggage only - Yes, you can!

We bought the dryer balls, too--got snookered into it at State Fair. The only thing we've found them to be good for is keeping my husband's swim suit and towel from clumping up into a big ball.

• 3 weeks later...
I’m just back from a 20-night trip to Italy. Four nights in Rome and 14 nights onboard the beautiful Azamara Quest. For this trip, Don (DH) and I decided that we were going to bring carry on luggage only. We managed to get all of our travel gear into a pair of 21-inch suitcases and two knapsacks. And he brought as much stuff as I did, so no, I did not usurp any of his packing space except for his 3-1-1 bag.:)

I thought that, if anybody else out there wants to travel “light” although manageable, our bags were a bit heavy), they could refer to my list as a starting point. I am not a petite woman (and we’ll leave it at that), so if you’re smaller than a size 12, you can bring even more stuff with you.

This list is not meant for:

* Slaves to fashion who can’t fathom wearing shoes or carrying purses that don’t match their outfits

* Women who refuse to do laundry while on vacation (the Quest had a self-service laundry)

* Women who think that everybody else is looking and cares what they’re wearing or cares that they are and do (parse that!)

* Somebody who can’t lift the bag over her head to put it into the overhead bin on the plane.

What I wore on the trip:

Chico’s Traveller’s pants

Chico’s hooded jacket

White jewelneck short sleeved shirt

Bra

Undies

Socks

Running shoes

Casual watch/engagement & wedding rings

What I packed:

Clothing

4 bras

6 pr undies (3 quick-dry)

2 pr black socks

3 pr sheer knee highs

3 T-shirts (one for night, one for the gym & one for casual wear)

2 tank tops (blue and black)

2 long sleeved knit tops (red and black)

3 short sleeved tops (blue, olive, “critterchick” crystal)

1 pr black pants

1 pr khaki pants

1 pr hiking pants (zip-off to shorts)

1 pr walking shorts

1 pr knit pants

1 black skirt

1 white skirt

1 reversible tank dress

1 white cardigan

1 lightweight rain jacket

1 pashmina shawl

1 visor

2 pr walking shoes

1 pr flipflops

swimsuit

Toiletries

3 oz each shampoo, conditioner, styling gel, leave-in conditioner

.5 oz each day face cream, night face cream, eye cream

sample size nighttime eye cream

2 3 oz body lotions

24 gm toothpaste

chapstick

deodorant (solid stick)

Makeup

Mascara

lipstick, gloss, pencil

powder

blush

eye shadow

nail polish

polish remover pads

baby powder

Medications:

Tinactin

Cortisone

Antibiotic cream

Claritin

aspirin

melatonin

Pepcid AC

Vitamins & supplements

Therma Care pads (2)

Monistat

Jewelry:

pearl necklace, earrings, bracelet

diamond studs, pendant

3 pr fun earrings

dress watch

Miscellaneous:

laptop (mini), charger & mouse

toothbrush

camera w/charger & spare battery

iPhone

iPod (for DH)

comb

2 pr. reading glasses

Sunglasses

books/travel guides

small scissors, tweezers, pens

excursion purse

What I bought:

Shampoo

Conditioner

body lotion

hand cream

black shawl

The scary thing is that I think I’m leaving some stuff out!

I wore everything except for the long sleeved tops because it was so hot and the knee highs because they’re so dorky. I washed my undies in the bathroom sink most nights. We did laundry three times during the cruise – two loads each time. We sent out a few items to be dry cleaned, not more than $25 worth.

I was able to put some of my liquids into Don’s 3-1-1 bag and any medications were separately declared (they only cared about it at Dulles Airport on the last leg of our flight home).

I used packing cubes – it’s amazing how much stuff you can get into even the little ones, and then compress them.

I would change my shoes and take a pair of dancing shoes, since the flats I had were great for walking but not for cutting the rug – they stuck to the dance floor. I would probably leave the hiking pants out of the bag, and substitute a longish pairs of shorts.

And I'd toss in some noise-cancelling headphones. Our flight back was so noisy we couldn't get any sleep.

Oh, and we were able to add a few souvenirs on the return.:D

When I have the energy I will also post Don’s list.

You are truly a woman after my own heart. I love packing light! It's worth it to not: 1) wait at the baggage claim 2) lug multiple heavy bags around 3) have your luggage delayed or lost.

Thanks for sharing your list. I am impressed with everything you managed to get into your carry-on. Did you bundle pack?

You are truly a woman after my own heart. I love packing light! It's worth it to not: 1) wait at the baggage claim 2) lug multiple heavy bags around 3) have your luggage delayed or lost.

Thanks for sharing your list. I am impressed with everything you managed to get into your carry-on. Did you bundle pack?

We used some mesh packing cubes. Kathy (happyks) has talked about them many time, so I thought I would see how I liked them, and I did - quite a lot. You can get a lot of items into one cube and then compress them as you zip.

I'm packing for 5 nights by myself and am wishing DH were coming with me. For the companionship and his 3-1-1 bag...:) I have a lot of tiny sample jars and bottles that will work well, but my bag is bulging!

critterchick, you're my hero!

My dd and I have a 12 night cruise with two nights precruise in Rome and am bound and determined to only do carry-on. Have 2 brand new 21" spinners sitting in the closet. Bought my City-Safe 200 for my personal carry-on and dd will have a small personal backpack for hers.

I'll check out the packing cubes a little more. Hadn't thought there would be a need for that but maybe need to re-think.

'We can do this and you have helped!' Thanks

Just don't go crazy with the packing cubes or you will add too much to your load. One or two is plenty. Make sure the fabrics you pack into them can handle the compression and not come out wrinkled!

I like to pack a packing folder in a bundle fashion around a small cube filled with underwear and socks.

The folder:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Eagle+Creek+15+Inch+Pack%2DIt+Folder&pf_id=PAOHIDIKFMHLLNCC&dept_id=3225&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

The cube:

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Eagle+Creek+Pack%2DIt+2%2DSided+Half+Cube&pf_id=PAOHADNCIIHILNCC&dept_id=3225&mscssid=20Q22N3K91VT9LHDAWJN60JX0B500439

I like the 2 sided cubes (they do come in a single side version) for seperating clean/dirty while traveling, if you should have a night or more in port town before a cruise for example. I even go as far as putting in a little note that says "dirty", just in case ;)

I don't fold each shirt individually, I fold them all together as one, with the cube in the center as an additional cushion against creases. I can get 6-7 short sleeved or polo style shirts and about 7 pair of my husbands underwear in one packing folder. The same with pants.

I do mix and match pants and shirts in the same folder as well, since we cross-pack our suitcases. I'll have 3 days worth of clothing in each suitcase for both of us. I'll also use the inside of shoes for small items, bagging them in ziplocs.

I prefer the Eagle Creek brand, but there are others out there I'm sure work equally as well.

We did do some real hiking, so I thought the pants would come in handy. But they were too hot when long and just a bit too short when short, so I would leave them behind. I also foolishly thought that I could dance in flats. I did, but stumbled more than usual.

I really enjoyed that Travelsmith dress. I got the black & white reversible to solid black. Don loved it (given his lack of fashion sense perhaps I should have been concerned, LOL). It turned out to be quite versatile.

I also should have added that this isn't for cruises with formal nights, obviously. Azamara is a "country club" casual line, so no long dresses and accessories required.

I was sent a great deal with them next year.(an online agency who advertises here) $3400 each for a 10 day balcony room with airfare. I wish we could afford it, but we spent that much for our week in France this summer, so not for awhile I guess. I will have to be content with the 10 day partial Panama Canal next year-but one day!

• 2 weeks later...
Totally agree and I have done it MANY times! We cruise and extensive land travel...

I just returned from 24 days in Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria with one carryon size and one small pack

http://ourpassportstamps.com/Karen_s_3_week_suitcase.html

Hi Everyone...

just thought I would follow up on this post...

my mom and I just got back from a 14 day cruise on the Pacific Princess.

We flew on Southwest, so 2 bags were allowed under 50 lbs for no charge..

I thought WOW ....I can go wild and stop streamlining and besides a porter can handle my luggage and my elderly mom's...

This will be GREAT!

WRONG!

For the 1st time in my entire cruising history, we were NOT met by a porter as promised part of pre cruise stay and there were NO Porters available at Pier 91 for disembarkation..

So I had to haul my 2 bags and my moms.. ( she handled the carryons)

I think I just needed this BONK on the head to remind me how easy and actually in this case more convenient it is to travel lighter!

I'm convinced my originally posted packing list is the way to go!

Jean you are my hero right now. I can do what you did in a backpacking backpack...but not in a carry-on (those things are so small whereas my backpack is expandable lengthwise so it still works as a carry on.)

And ironically I had more weight for my 5 night trip to Florida last week.:o I still did carry on, but with the formal wear (and the dance shoes) plus knowing that I wasn't going to do any laundry, I more clothes with me than I thought I would need. I wore everything but the bathing suits (we missed Coco Cay and I'm not a pool deck person) and a couple of tank tops. I did need to get some lotion at CVS in Cocoa Beach, since that's the one item I need more than 3 ounces of. And I brought magazines and books, which are heavy. But I was able to leave most of them behind, so going home was lighter than arrival.

I also brought 2 sets of workout gear, and washed them in between workouts. They didn't dry overnight, so that was a good call.:)

WOW!

I like to think that I'm a pretty savvy packer/traveler but even I don't think could do this. Good for you! I did a 10 day Euro trip many, many years ago (before all this craziness with over charging of luggage) with a carry on suitcase and a large LL Bean tote bag (packed to the seams). I wear a lot of classics that can be mixed and matched and that helps a lot. I have to say... if I didn't have to pack for formal night(s), I might be able to do it again (no way for 20 days though-maybe 10) but the liquid restrictions are a breaker for me. It KILLS me that they limited them. I know it's for safety but for women, the 3-1-1 is quite a challege. For us beauty junkies that is...

I have found that packing for a 4-5 day trip I will take as much as I will for a 7 night trip. Because I don't want to do any laundry in such a short span of time I take everything I need for all days. When we go for 7 days, I take off 2 days worth of clothing for a packing list and only pack for 5.

Many times I read here on the boards about how difficult it is to pack for a longer trip. If you are going to be in the same weather zone it's pretty simple, don't ever pack more clothing than you need for a week.

When I'm at home I'll wear the same pants/blouse/shoes again the following week, it's no different for me when we travel. I think there's a fear about not having "home" along with us when we travel...it's hard to let go and not feel secure without all our things along. People also worry too much about the unknown and what-ifs. Unless you are traveling to a region with little medical care and no retail stores, the majority of the world has what you need for emergency purchase whether it is meds, clothing, shoes or toiletries.

Last September, we did a 38-day cruise from Vancouver to Bangkok including 1 day pre-cruise in Seattle and 3 days post-cruise in Bangkok. In addition, we had 6 formal nights and needed to pack both hot and cold weather clothing. We each had one 21" rolling bag and one briefcase-sized personal item. We carried our own luggage on and off both the plane and the ship.

We use the bundle wrapping technique: http://www.onebag.com/pack.html A diagram is here: http://www.onebag.com/popups/bundle.html

You will be amazed at how much space this saves and it does help with the wrinkles.

Carolyn

WOW!

I like to think that I'm a pretty savvy packer/traveler but even I don't think could do this. Good for you! I did a 10 day Euro trip many, many years ago (before all this craziness with over charging of luggage) with a carry on suitcase and a large LL Bean tote bag (packed to the seams). I wear a lot of classics that can be mixed and matched and that helps a lot. I have to say... if I didn't have to pack for formal night(s), I might be able to do it again (no way for 20 days though-maybe 10) but the liquid restrictions are a breaker for me. It KILLS me that they limited them. I know it's for safety but for women, the 3-1-1 is quite a challege. For us beauty junkies that is...

OK, nobody would ever accuse me of being a beauty junkie, but I managed to pack my Clinique stuff in my (and DH's) 3-1-1 bag, then bought what I needed in Europe. They have great products, you know.;)

WOW!

Which is why I have invested in a Trish McEvoy makeup kit. Everything in it is powder, so none of it has to go into the 3-1-1 bag at all. A 3 oz. bottle of shampoo/conditioner/body wash goes into each of our 3-1-1 bags, plus a sample size each of toothpaste, small bottles of facial moisturizer, samples sizes of eye cream a 2 oz. bottle of body lotion and a few other odds and ends. I also have the advantage of using my husbands space, which I do understand not all women do.

But it is true, there are toiletries for purchase just about anywhere you travel to, I saw much of what we needed to bring even inside the airport upon arrival. On our Med cruise we picked up Italian toothpaste (I had mistakenly only packed one) and shampoo from Croatia. It was kind of fun bringing those things back home.

I wasn't able to pack for our Med cruise like Jean, we did have formal nights. But now that we have gone once, I can see where I could have successfully cut back on clothing. Even though I'm a lighter than most packer, I prefer to be unencumbered on an airplane, one small carry on between us and my purse is enough for us to manage. We'll continue to check one bag each per person.

Thanks OP for starting the thread. I'm doing a "practice run" this weekend for packing for Alaska and am determined to do it without checking luggage...I've been successful packing light before but never with formal clothing...but I'm going to make it work! I already know instead of paying $30 to check my suitcase ($15 each way) I will simply spend to have my three dresses pressed. I am planning on wearing the same shoes/jewelery with all three dresses, so it shouldn't take up too much space.

I'm going to try the bundle wrapping suggestion and hopefully that will add some space.

I’m just back from a 20-night trip to Italy. Four nights in Rome and 14 nights onboard the beautiful Azamara Quest. For this trip, Don (DH) and I decided that we were going to bring carry on luggage only. We managed to get all of our travel gear into a pair of 21-inch suitcases and two knapsacks. And he brought as much stuff as I did, so no, I did not usurp any of his packing space except for his 3-1-1 bag.:)

I thought that, if anybody else out there wants to travel “light” although manageable, our bags were a bit heavy), they could refer to my list as a starting point. I am not a petite woman (and we’ll leave it at that), so if you’re smaller than a size 12, you can bring even more stuff with you.

This list is not meant for:

* Slaves to fashion who can’t fathom wearing shoes or carrying purses that don’t match their outfits

* Women who refuse to do laundry while on vacation (the Quest had a self-service laundry)

* Women who think that everybody else is looking and cares what they’re wearing or cares that they are and do (parse that!)

* Somebody who can’t lift the bag over her head to put it into the overhead bin on the plane.

What I wore on the trip:

Chico’s Traveller’s pants

Chico’s hooded jacket

White jewelneck short sleeved shirt

Bra

Undies

Socks

Running shoes

Casual watch/engagement & wedding rings

What I packed:

Clothing

4 bras

6 pr undies (3 quick-dry)

2 pr black socks

3 pr sheer knee highs

3 T-shirts (one for night, one for the gym & one for casual wear)

2 tank tops (blue and black)

2 long sleeved knit tops (red and black)

3 short sleeved tops (blue, olive, “critterchick” crystal)

1 pr black pants

1 pr khaki pants

1 pr hiking pants (zip-off to shorts)

1 pr walking shorts

1 pr knit pants

1 black skirt

1 white skirt

1 reversible tank dress

1 white cardigan

1 lightweight rain jacket

1 pashmina shawl

1 visor

2 pr walking shoes

1 pr flipflops

swimsuit

Toiletries

3 oz each shampoo, conditioner, styling gel, leave-in conditioner

.5 oz each day face cream, night face cream, eye cream

sample size nighttime eye cream

2 3 oz body lotions

24 gm toothpaste

chapstick

deodorant (solid stick)

Makeup

Mascara

lipstick, gloss, pencil

powder

blush

eye shadow

nail polish

polish remover pads

baby powder

Medications:

Tinactin

Cortisone

Antibiotic cream

Claritin

aspirin

melatonin

Pepcid AC

Vitamins & supplements

Therma Care pads (2)

Monistat

Jewelry:

pearl necklace, earrings, bracelet

diamond studs, pendant

3 pr fun earrings

dress watch

Miscellaneous:

laptop (mini), charger & mouse

toothbrush

camera w/charger & spare battery

iPhone

iPod (for DH)

comb

2 pr. reading glasses

Sunglasses

books/travel guides

small scissors, tweezers, pens

excursion purse

What I bought:

Shampoo

Conditioner

body lotion

hand cream

black shawl

The scary thing is that I think I’m leaving some stuff out!

I wore everything except for the long sleeved tops because it was so hot and the knee highs because they’re so dorky. I washed my undies in the bathroom sink most nights. We did laundry three times during the cruise – two loads each time. We sent out a few items to be dry cleaned, not more than $25 worth.

I was able to put some of my liquids into Don’s 3-1-1 bag and any medications were separately declared (they only cared about it at Dulles Airport on the last leg of our flight home).

I used packing cubes – it’s amazing how much stuff you can get into even the little ones, and then compress them.

I would change my shoes and take a pair of dancing shoes, since the flats I had were great for walking but not for cutting the rug – they stuck to the dance floor. I would probably leave the hiking pants out of the bag, and substitute a longish pairs of shorts.

And I'd toss in some noise-cancelling headphones. Our flight back was so noisy we couldn't get any sleep.

Oh, and we were able to add a few souvenirs on the return.:D

When I have the energy I will also post Don’s list.

I have to say, I am impressed. I will be taking lessons from you for my upcoming B2B!! We don't have self-service laundry on that ship, but I plan on sending a few items out and doing laundry in the bathroom sink a few times.

I'm definatately not a beauty junkie

I use Bobbie Brown products the extra line and you only need a small amount, so a .5oz eyebalm lasted 24 days and 1oz extra moisturizer with sunscreen lasted the entire time too both had quite a bit left over.

and then very basic makeup..bobbie brown has a small compact that has cover up, powder, and base that is beyond small, a lip stick/gloss, travel size mascara and eyelash curler...TA DA!

the one thing I HAVE TO bring is my own hair conditioner which is a bit heavy. Also, I always pack 2 bars of ivory soap..

All of you taking carry-ons only, be sure to remember the TSA rules for liquids and gels.

My husband has a 6 oz jar of psoriasis cream that is absolutely mandatory to have, so that knocks out carry-on only for us. I'm surprised your scissors, tweezers etc passed muster, I always put those in the checked bag.

And what is there to be so proud of in only taking a carry-on suitcase? I don't get it, what am I missing?

I wouldn't want to be that limited in my selection, nor do I want to be doing laundry. Did that last year for our 21 day Med cruise on the Grand Princess and it's a pain in the butt. Because I messed up and didn't book our flights from LAX to Paris to Rome all on one ticket, we were allowed 2 checked bags at 50 lbs each from LAX to Paris, but only 1 bag of 44 lbs from Paris to Rome, so we had to try and pack lighter. But I'm back to my 29" suitcase and the matching 20" carry-on for my travel from now on.

And no, I don't think Rick Steves is the way I want to travel. Sleeping in hostels, and I tried his backpack. What a joke when you want to get some change or a smoke out of the stupid thing.

But isn't it wonderful that we all have choices for the way we want to travel.

All of you taking carry-ons only, be sure to remember the TSA rules for liquids and gels.

My husband has a 6 oz jar of psoriasis cream that is absolutely mandatory to have, so that knocks out carry-on only for us. I'm surprised your scissors, tweezers etc passed muster, I always put those in the checked bag.

And what is there to be so proud of in only taking a carry-on suitcase? I don't get it, what am I missing?

I wouldn't want to be that limited in my selection, nor do I want to be doing laundry. Did that last year for our 21 day Med cruise on the Grand Princess and it's a pain in the butt. Because I messed up and didn't book our flights from LAX to Paris to Rome all on one ticket, we were allowed 2 checked bags at 50 lbs each from LAX to Paris, but only 1 bag of 44 lbs from Paris to Rome, so we had to try and pack lighter. But I'm back to my 29" suitcase and the matching 20" carry-on for my travel from now on.

And no, I don't think Rick Steves is the way I want to travel. Sleeping in hostels, and I tried his backpack. What a joke when you want to get some change or a smoke out of the stupid thing.

And thanks for knocking my choice.:rolleyes: I'm not "proud," but was certainly happier not having to maneuver around Rome and the port with a lot of heavy stuff that wouldn't add to my experience. That to me is more of a pain in the butt than doing laundry. But to each his own, without ridicule, please.

Medications are exempt from the 3-1-1 rules, even OTC stuff. We had a separate lot of non-prescription antibiotic cream, cortisone, nasal spray, etc. and just presented it separately at screening - no problem going through. And small scissors and tweezers are allowed. It's all on the TSA website.

Rick Steves is a lot more than hostel travel. Although we usually don't book his hotels, we have done so a couple of times and found that the upper range are quite lovely. And my backpack is from Land's End.:D

Personally, I think you're missing the whole point of traveling lighter. For me, it frees me up from the hassle of packing, repacking and hauling so much "stuff". I've not been able to travel with just a carry on, yet, although I have gotten so much better at it over the years. But you are right, we do have choices that work for all of us.

There are definitely ways around the packing liquids limitations. The medical necessity is one way for your husband, especially since I wouldn't put a prescription, mandatory cream in checked luggage to begin with. So far, every country I've been to sells toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, etc... I get my eyebrows waxed before leaving home, the nails manicured and pedicured the day before or morning of departure. I've never taken a pair of scissors with me when I travel and don't now what I'd use them for. I check my clothing for repair before it's packed.

For a long time now I've figured out that light packing doesn't have to mean sloppy dressing. Finer clothing that fits right and can be worn for a variety of occasions and travels well is the key. I re-accessorize instead of packing more clothing. Since the evenings are both formal and casual, you don't necessarily have to wear the same shoes every single night. Critterchick didn't have any formal nights to worry about, so it was a bit easier.

There are so many ways to cut back without feeling like you're limited. Although I've not traveled overseas with a carry on only, I think it can successfully be done. We met a very interesting couple on a short cruise. They had just gotten back from a 2 week cruise in Europe, then the 3 night QM2 in LA and were leaving 2 days after that one for a South America 14 night cruise. They told us they never traveled with anything but carry ons.

I truly think it takes practise, learning what works well and what doesn't and above all else, the ability to leave home behind. When we were in Italy I was amazed at seeing the Italians travel with a case that probably measured 18 inches, all the while looking far more fashionable than American tourists.

Happy KS

You're right, I don't get the point of trying to travel with only a carry-on. Nor of not having the clothes you think you will need. I've often chastised my husband (he sometimes showers twice a day) but he can wear the same jeans for 4 or 5 days. He does change his underwear & shirts, but one pair of pants will do him, so yes he can pack very lightly and could probably travel with just a carry-on. But I change ALL of my clothes daily. And for a 12 day cruise & 9 days on land, that's a lot of clothes.

As I said earlier, last year on the Grand Princess, I was forced to do laundry through my own stupidity. But it's not something I plan on doing on vacation. The laundry usually waits until I get home to get done.

I had packed my husband's psoriasis cream in the checked bag for the trip going to Alaska. But for the return he did his own packing. He doesn't fly much and didn't even know about the rule about 3 ozs. They confiscated it and threw it away. Again, my mistake, I should have checked his lugggage before we got to the airport.

And you're right, they do sell toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, etc in Europe. But have you tried to purchase it without speaking the language. I use the net puff loofa and lost it somewhere along the way. I ended up purchasing a sponge in Italy because that was all the store clerk knew when I said I wanted something to shower with. And heaven forbid you should catch a cold over there and try to purchase cough drops. That one took me three pharmacies and trial and error without locating any real cough drops. Then I finally did find a pack of Hall's at the tobacci shop when I was no longer looking for them.

And I guess the rules have changed, for my trip to Hungary two weeks after 9/11, I had about a 3 inch pair of cuticle scissors (and the cutting tips are only about a half inch) confiscated. I didn't even think about them being in my make-up bag, but lost them, so now my whole make-up bag goes in the checked bag and I retrieve it for my purse once at the destination.

I have learned to pare down quite a bit. Our first trip to Australia, I took 3 26" suitcases (1 for me, 1 for DH, and 1 that we shared) as well as 2 carry-ons. We were going to be gone 4 weeks after all. When the baggage handler in Alice Springs asked me if we were staying 6 months, I knew I had overpacked.

But when all is said and done, we each have to do what we feel is best for us. I would be perfectly happy with a trunk (like they used to use on ocean voyages of old), but I know that's not practical when you have to fly, but my 29" comes close. And I don't want to leave home behind, we all have our comfort zones, that's one of the reasons I cruise, is to visit and see foreign places, but be able to return to the ship (comfort zone) for food and lodging. My goodness, I use a 21" carry-on for a weekend trip to my daughters.

Happy travels to all, no matter how you choose to do it!

I wear clean clothes every day, a tube of toothpaste looks pretty much like our toothpaste (at least it did in Italy). I went to a hair salon as we were walking down the street and asked for shampoo, it was simple. They do have drug stores and grocery stores in other countries, it's not exclusive to the US. Many Italians speak English very well, kind of an embarrassment for me, I only speak American English.

I always have enough clothes to wear, I just repeat every few days, after washing or dry cleaning. For a 19 day trip, I packed in a 24 inch case and a 22 inch carry on...not quite the carry on packing that Jean did, but again she had no formal nights. The secret is to pack for no more than a week but also to be able to mix and match those clothes you have for a weeks time to vary the look.

There is absolutely no way I'm ever going to burden myself with too many suitcases ever again. Yes, there are porters and bellman and such, but there almost always comes a time where you have to help yourself. As long as I have the physical health and well being to do that, it will be my choice.

Archived