I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

so from what I am reading the ships will allow us to bring fresh flowers and fruit back onboard? Just assuming we cannot bring it back OFF the ship when we reach another country right? On that line, what type of fruit should we try? I would love to bring some back for snacks in our stateroom. :p

Hi

we are coming in to port next month on Disney Magic May 22-

we would like to go on a whale/dolphin excursion- we are looking at one that you can swim in the ocean for a little but too--

we are trying to find out what else we can do before & after the boat trip in town. We have 2 3yr olds & a 7yr old

do any of the whale/dolphin excursions also do city tours?

if no

do you think we would be best hiring a private tour guide or is everything close that we could use public transportation or walk?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

:)

Hi tamsocal,

Sorry I took some time to answer you.

Yes, I think your children will enjoy their whale/dolphin excursion.

In your spare time maybe you could take a HOHO bus ride, for instance, or the cable car up to Monte.

If you choose the Cable Car ride, your two 3 year olds will pay nothing, the 7 year old will pay 5 EUR and it's 10 EUR per person for adults. In case it's your idea to take the cable car down as well, then buy round trip tickets, as they'll end up more economical: it will be 7.50 EUR for your 7 year old and 15 EUR per person for adults.

If there's a shuttle bus for your cruise, it'll be excellent for your transfer to town. If there's no shuttle bus you can try to walk, but the problem is the children. The best alternative is you taking a taxi from the pier to town. For such a ride you'll be charged 7.50 EUR per 4 passenger taxi.

First that horrible flooding, then fires. 2010 was not a good year for Madeira, I sure hope that as I keep reading I find that 2011 has been much kinder to your island.

Hello seamour,

Yes, this year, so far, Madeira hasn't had any major disasters. Let's hope for the best.

so from what I am reading the ships will allow us to bring fresh flowers and fruit back onboard? Just assuming we cannot bring it back OFF the ship when we reach another country right? On that line, what type of fruit should we try? I would love to bring some back for snacks in our stateroom. :p

Hello again seamour,

If you have the opportunity to visit a market or even a supermarket, you'll be able to choose whatever takes your fancy. Availability of fruits will depend on what time of the year you're visitig Madeira.

Hello TravelAbby,

Yes, of course, there'll be lots of taxis at the pier, so no problem there.

The Flower Parade starts at 4pm and it first runs along the main waterfront avenue, as your cruise ship docks at 2pm, it's early enough for you to see it.

Apart from the Parade, there'll also be a Flower Exhibition and Flower Carpets - very beautiful, so try to see them. Maybe it's a good idea to see these before the Parade.

Hello again seamour,

If you have the opportunity to visit a market or even a supermarket, you'll be able to choose whatever takes your fancy. Availability of fruits will depend on what time of the year you're visitig Madeira.

we will be there next month, looking forward to trying some new fruits! Thanks for all the great info you post on this thread. :D

we will be there next month, looking forward to trying some new fruits! Thanks for all the great info you post on this thread. :D

Hi Biara, we read about an onion festival when we are there, what can you tell me about this? Also a book fair that same day in Funchal I believe.

Hello seamour,

As far as new fruits are concerned, in May you can try passion-fruit, passion-fruit-tomato and custard-apple.

You're very well informed about our festivities... :).

That's correct, the Onion Festival takes place in Caniço, from the 20th to the 22nd May. The Book Fair is in down town Funchal and is from the 20th to the 29th May.

We are planning to take the cable car to Monte and back down after visiting the Tropical Gardens. Did I read somewhere that there is a combination ticket that we can purchase? How much is it and where would we purchase it from?

Hi shrinkerman,

Sorry I took so long to give you this answer.

I called the cable car office just now and yes, they have a combination ticket for a cable car round trip, plus entrance to the Tropical Gardens. It costs 23.75 EUR for adults and 7.50 EUR for children (7 to 14 years old).

This ticked is purchased at the cable car station, either in downtown Funchal or in Monte.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Biaria,

In one of your early posts you told someone that Camacha was a good place to get tiles for a pool area (not inside the pool). We are redecorating our pool area in Florida and would love to add some decorative tiles. We would need about 100. Is there someone we could buy them from and then have them shipped to us? Is there someone in Funchal? We might be able to manage to get them off the ship ourselves in Florida, but I wouldn't want to count on it.

Hello js1357,

I'm thinking maybe the factory would have it shipped to you. I'd love to help you with this, but I would be acting against Cruise Critic's rules. I'm so very sorry.

Hello js1357,

I'm thinking maybe the factory would have it shipped to you. I'd love to help you with this, but I would be acting against Cruise Critic's rules. I'm so very sorry.

Hi Biaria,

I know you're being extra careful because you've been such a big help to many people. If you feel comfortable, can you email me at js1357@yahoo.com with the factory's name and location. If you don't want to, I understand. I'll try to find it on the internet or once we're there.

Jane

Hello Kwaj girl,

The Catholic church closest to the pier is the Cathedral, it's right in town. On Saturdays, they have Evening Mass at 6pm. I'm not sure about Saturday morning, but I'll have a look at their timetable, next time I go to town.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the name of the Catholic church closest to the piers? Do you know what time(s) they have Mass on Saturdays? We will be visiting in November. Thank you.

Hello again kwaj girl,

I had a look at at the Masses' timetable at the Cathedral itself and on the internet as well and, for Saturdays, the only Mass they make reference to is at 6pm.

Have a nice weekend.

Hello! I am curious about toboggan rides with young children. We will have our 15-month-old and older daughter who is just turning 5 years old with us. I believe I read somewhere prices for children begin at age 6, but want to be sure under age six can ride. Also, do they carry four? Two seated adults plus two children in laps?

While a group tour of Madeira is very enticing to us, we think having our little ones with us we will stick to the cable car, gardens, and toboggan ride down.

Thank you in advance! :)

Hello MandyGirl,

Yes, children of any age can take the toboggan ride. As you have a 5 year old, maybe they'll seat you on a 3 passenger basket, provided there's one available at the moment.

As far as price is concerned, I must say they are very unpredictable - they can either let children ride for free, or they can charge the full amount. This is a very unfair type of practice I must say and it depends on the person who is in charge.

Please be aware that the toboggan ride finishes midway between Monte and the centre of town, which is 2 km away, so you'll need transportation of some kind. The more economical way will be for you to take the public transport - your children won't pay and one ticket bought inside the bus costs 1.80 EUR per person for adults. Alternativelly you can choose to take a taxi, but it will be more expensive and as I have been warning everybody on this thread, taxi drivers on that taxi line always over charge. However, in case you choose this means of transport for convenient as you have young children, try to negotiate with the driver and don't accept to pay more than 10 EUR for a ride to the centre of town or 15 EUR if you're being dropped off at the pier.

You're welcome and have a nice day in Madeira.

Hello Biaria,

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the Flower Festival parade when we were there last month. It was very crowded but we managed to get a good spot on a corner where they were making a turn down the street from where the busses were parked. It was a sweet parade with all the children. I especially liked the strollers looking like magnolias with the babies in them - darling. If we are ever fortunate enough to get to Madeira again I'd like to take a tour of the island.

Frances

Hello Frances,

Yes, the flower parade was very beautiful. The Flower Festival has become one of Madeira's main attractions and it always brings a good number of visitors to our island. I agree with you - the babies on the stollers looked so very sweet. That particular troupe always has babies on strollers, each year decorated in a different manner.

Did you also visit the Flower Exhibition? Lots of exquisite flowers on display.

As this time you probably stayed in Funchal only, I also think next time it'll be a good idea to try to see a bit (or a lot) more of the island.

Hi Biaria,

we will be in port Nov 24th and are looking at booking this tour , about 8 of us. do you think it is a good choice of tour? We dont want to take an all day (we dock 7- 4)in case we missed the shipn

. Do you think there will be nice sceaneryand that the fishing village would be cute!?

When we get dropped at the port again, is there any way to get to the city centre as we will have 2hrs to spare and wold like to see the town,

is that doable and worth it?

Thanks for all your time,and await your reply. JOAN

Hello Joan,

Nice to know you'll be visiting Madeira.

Yes, I think the Nun's Valley tour is worth it, in fact the Nun's Valley (Curral das Freiras) is one of the island's highlights for scenery. The fishing town, Câmara de Lobos is interesting too, don't miss a visit to the Fishermen 's Chapel.

As you're interested in spending some time in the city centre, your best bet will be to ask your driver to drop you off there, instead of returning you to the pier at the end if the tour. Yes, as you'll have some time to spare, I think it's a good idea to walk around and get to know Funchal a bit.

Afterwards, you can either walk back to the pier - will take you something like 30 to 40 minutes - or take a taxi if it's more convenient - you'll be charged 7.50 EUR.

My pleasure to help.