Newbie advice needed; setting sail June 14 on the Victory

Getting married on June 13th, me and my soon to be wife are setting sail on the 14th from San Juan, Puerto Rico on the Carnival Victory. Only I have been on a cruise before, but it was when I was younger, only 3 days, and did not do any of the planning for it.

I'm just looking for any advice I can get. We know for sure we are going to do some guided tours and beach time at St. Thomas and St. Lucia, but we also want some days that fill more relaxed where we do things at our own pace, not having to be places at given times.

What is the best island to go do snorkeling, and where?

Any advice anyone can give for first timers would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, to insure we get quality service on the boat, who should I be tipping, how much, and when? Thanks!

First of all Congrats....this cruise is very port intense but worth it.

We did Southern many yrs ago on Destiny (back when it was a decent ship) with some different ports of call but probably my fav cruise.

I certainly agree that you will need some slower days or you will come back exhausted. First get on the each ports boards and also do some quick searches on the ports to see how they differ then compare that to what each of you likes. Some ports have alot near the port or its easy to get into town and some dont. St Thomas will probably be your biggest and busiest port and my favorite port by far. You must get in the water there if you like the beach and snorkeling. If I remeber Dominica is more lush, rain forest like with waterfalls. Several yrs ago when in Barbados there wasnt much in the area where the ship ports so you will want to have a plan for that day. Even if its just hanging out at a beach, they have several. think St Lucia is pretty small and a newer port of call but pristine from what I hear. Its very up and coming.

your gonna have to quickly do some searchs but with a cruise this port intense its ok to just kickback some...you'll be glad you did.

If you have some free time ;)

you can read through this...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997758&highlight=

There is also an "All Things Victory" thread as well as some other recent reviews.

I spent forever researching the excursions, spending a LOT of time reading on the various POC boards as well as reading excursion operator websites, plus exchanging emails with them.

All our excursions were independent ones, and they were all fantastic.

My soon-to-be wife and I will also be on the cruise on the 14th. We will also be saying our vows on Saturday the 13th. I have done some extensive board reading on here and have researched some books for all of the ports. Right now we are planning no Carnival tours only local independent tours. If you want more information, let me know and I would more than gladly help out.

Roberto and Michelle (present fiancee and soon-to-be wife)

Archived