Y'know, sometimes, I just think "to hell with cruising"

MAM,

Thank you for starting this. I was beginning to think only malcontents traveled on HAL. I haven't cruised with them before and was beginning to wonder if I wanted to. I've enjoyed my past cruises soooo much and never met up with any of the problems so many here seem to anticipate. If the food's good, I don't need a tray; I enjoy seeing the crew eating where I do; I love to have strangers join me at my table on the Lido deck; my AC has never been wrecked by someone propping open a balcony door; I've never propped open my balcony door because the cruise line asked my not to on the door--silly me-I thought everyone would respect that request and I think the vast majority do; If a deck chair is taken, I can move on; I'll have a lanai cabin and if the deck chairs are reserved for the cabins, I'll use my own; if anyone else is in them and I want them, I'll politely ask them to relinquish them; if they don't, I'll throw them overboard while screaming, "the posters on CC warned me there'd be people onboard like you so I muscled up to take care of you". Keep up our good spirits MAM--I hope I meet you rather than some of the others on my HAL cruise.

Beautifully said

It takes a lot to get me to really complain.

Probably because after 25 years as a 9-1-1 dispatcher I have heard every non sense, nuisance, moronic complaint that people try and pass off as an "EMERGENCY".

I just can't get that worked up over trivial stuff. I can't see wasteing part of my vacation standing in line at the pursers desk or climbing the chain of command until I get an answer unless it is something so beyond the pale.

Things go wrong in every facet of our lives , but when it comes to cruiseing it seems every little blip needs to be apologized for and compensated ten times over. Get over it!!!!!

And I know someone is bound to say "Well whats an emergency to me may not be an emergency to you and vice versa" True enough, but most of this stuff isn't an emergency or a big deal to anyone except a chronic compaliner who just loves to spread the misery around like a cancer.

Be thankful you are alive and well, and able to vacation. There are people in hospitals, or folks out of work and losing their homes and they would gladly change places with you. And they would gladly carry their plates to the table without trays , and they wouyld love to sit on the first deck chair they could find that didn't have a book or a sandal on it.

When I hear someone complaining on board a cruise I am always reminded of this classic poem by Walt Whitman. Sometimes it is easier just to relax and enjoy your experience rather than worrying about how is 'should' be or how it was 'last time'. Happy Cruising!:)

When I heard the learn'd astronomer;

When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;

When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and

measure them;

When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much

applause in the lecture-room,

How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;

Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,

In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,

Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.

My DH just had to have some kidney stones laser blasted yesterday, and I'm so very thankful to see that he's okay, albeit a little sore.

Needless to say, that put things in perspective.:o

Thank you for this thread. It's just the b*tch slap we all need once in a while!:D

One of the worst things for anyone trying to manage a money making enterprise is to suddenly lose customers and not understand why that is happening. To the extent that the post raises issues which can be addressed, bravo for raising them!

I have been trying to convince a few friends, who have suggested vacationing together, to try a cruise. There are things that are hard to overcome for some people -- flying to a port, the possibility of sea sickness, the apprehension of feeling confined when you can't just get off the ship the way you can get out of a car. These are obstacles which keep some people from cruising and there is not much you can do about these obstacles.

On the other hand, mediocre food, dirty cabins, being treated like a recipient of government services rather than a paying customer -- these are things that can be fixed.

And the name of the site is Cruise Critic not Cruise Cheerleader.

One of the worst things for anyone trying to manage a money making enterprise is to suddenly lose customers and not understand why that is happening. To the extent that the post raises issues which can be addressed, bravo for raising them!

I have been trying to convince a few friends, who have suggested vacationing together, to try a cruise. There are things that are hard to overcome for some people -- flying to a port, the possibility of sea sickness, the apprehension of feeling confined when you can't just get off the ship the way you can get out of a car. These are obstacles which keep some people from cruising and there is not much you can do about these obstacles.

On the other hand, mediocre food, dirty cabins, being treated like a recipient of government services rather than a paying customer -- these are things that can be fixed.

DW and I go through the same thing with a couple who are friends of ours.

They won't go on a cruise with us for all the reasons you mentioned and more.

Yet they love to ski:(

Sorry but I see enough snow walking from my house to the car and from my car to work thank you very much. That is why I cruise the Carribbean and not freeze my butt off on a mountain. *LOL*

But to each their own

It's entertaining. I was fortunate to be at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan for a few days over Memorial Day weekend and the hotel was fantastic. You wouldn't know it by the reviews online. Seriously scary. I considered it to be top shelf. Just like a cruise. There are complainers everywhere. I have a neighbor like that. She's annoying. Usually I tell her to count her blessings and stuff like that but some people like to carry on. You know people like that.:eek:

It's entertaining. I was fortunate to be at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan for a few days over Memorial Day weekend and the hotel was fantastic. You wouldn't know it by the reviews online. Seriously scary. I considered it to be top shelf. Just like a cruise. There are complainers everywhere. I have a neighbor like that. She's annoying. Usually I tell her to count her blessings and stuff like that but some people like to carry on. You know people like that.:eek:

Seriously! Ever try to find a good hotel in Fort Lauderdale by reading the reviews online? Scary! Like anything else, the truth is to be found somewhere in the middle of disparate opinions.

All I can say is "Nice Work If I Can Get It".

cheerleader.jpg

MAM--thanks for your sarcastic wit!

Sometimes reading these boards reminds me of a poem I heard in grade school called The Pessimist

Nothing to do but work,

Nothing to eat but food,

Nothing to wear but clothes

To keep one from going nude.

Nothing to breathe but air

Quick as a flash 't is gone;

Nowhere to fall but off,

Nowhere to stand but on.

Nothing to comb but hair,

Nowhere to sleep but in bed,

Nothing to weep but tears,

Nothing to bury but dead.

Nothing to sing but songs,

Ah, well, alas! alack!

Nowhere to go but out,

Nowhere to come but back.

Nothing to see but sights,

Nothing to quench but thirst,

Nothing to have but what we've got;

Thus thro' life we are cursed.

Nothing to strike but a gait;

Everything moves that goes.

Nothing at all but common sense

Can ever withstand these woes.

Seriously, we leave two weeks from tomorrow for cruises #5 & 6 to Alaska. I can hardly wait. The only flight we could get to Vancouver stops in both Portland and Seattle where we change planes, but, hey, I get to experience airports in four different cities, three states and one foreign country all in the same day! (And if my luggage doesn't make the transfers I get to buy new clothes courtesy of my travel insurance!)

We have booked an obstructed view cabin, but it was really exciting when we got upgraded on week one and the anticipation of an upgrade for week two is part of the fun. (Don't worry, I'm perfectly content with the worst HH cabin if that's what I get--after all that's what I paid for and it was a real bargain--and it still has a comfy bed and a bathroom where I can reach everything without moving my feet and when I shower I can save time by just soaping the walls and spinning.)

As far as the other challenges of cruise life--I look better in yellowed, off- white than in white robes. Every meal I've had on a cruise ship was better than McDonalds or Burger King. If I'm bothered by smoke there is a deck with fresh air just minutes away, with a view that is far better than looking out at my back fence. The lady who joined us at our Lido table for breakfast without asking made me feel good because I was only fat and not obese and I don't talk with cream of wheat and fried eggs in my mouth. The AYW dining concept that we dreaded made us realize that we enjoy a more flexible dining schedule as much as we enjoyed having the same wait staff and dinner companions every night so we can choose either fixed or flexible depending on the itinerary and still gain weight. Sailing Code Red on a 14 day cruise made me appreciate the crew and their dedication and hard work so much more than on any other cruise.

Please, please, please be on some cruise that I'm on! I love your attitude and want more instruction about saving time in the shower by soaping the walls and spinning. Do you shampoo above a certain line to wash your hair at the same time? Inquiring minds do want to know. There are sooo many complaints on these threads---the cruise ships need more cruisers like you. Thanks for giving me a great laugh! I love this thread.

To say nothing of the ever increasing aggravation and agony of flying anywhere (at least for most of us).

Flying is the worst. I have so many milks I have to fly first class most of the time. I miss out on all the peanuts. I just get a salad or a tiny meal.:rolleyes:

I come here to see what people are saying about their cruises, but I have yet to duplicate someone else's good/bad experience...gee whiz, I wonder why?!?

I once posted a review and had one sentence in there that I had asked for some grape jelly and my waiter had to search high and low but finally found some. I thought I made it clear that I found this funny. When they posted the review, the title was something about my complaint about lack of grape jelly. Sheesh.

Don't believe everything that's posted. Sometimes I think people are just trying to get their writing published, and misery sells better.

Archived