Thomson Destiny June 18th

Hello to all. I'm new to cruising and just wondered if anyone else is going on this cruise. We've only just booked so not got long to get ready. I've been reading all the posts to get as much information as I can. :)

Jane

Hi Jane - we're on this cruise!!! 2 weeks today and counting. We're flying from Doncaster, can't wait. We've not been on the Destiny before,but we've been on other Thomson ships and on P&O Ventura. You will have a great time.

Ann

We've not been on the Destiny before,but we've been on other Thomson ships and on P&O Ventura. You will have a great time.

Ann

You have been on Ventura and gone back to Thomson, are you crazy? :D

Just kidding, there's a debate on the P&O / Ocean Village forums at present about Ventura and the "Butlins at sea" OV / Thomson / Island "budget" cruise lines!

The P&O members frown upon us plebicites that prefer Thomson and OV, so I wondered why you chose the Destiny over Ventura for your next holiday? perhaps you could give us some insight and pros and cons of each,

Thanks in anticipation:)

Firstly, we absolutely loved it on Ventura. We went for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary and it was absolutely superb. It was a VERY big ship, but once you'd got your bearings it was great.

However, the staff weren't as friendly as on Thomson's. After our First Cruise on the Spirit, we went back two years later and our waiter remembered all of our party's names!!!

Thomson's are much more personal probably because they are smaller.

The reason we chose to go on the Destiny for this holiday is because we got a free AI drinks package, so it works out a lot cheaper. On our next Caribbean holiday we've got AI as well as free premium seats upgrade.

We would be quite happy to go back on Ventura again though.

It does annoy me how people have this superior snobby approach to Thomsons.

Ann

Hello to all. I'm new to cruising and just wondered if anyone else is going on this cruise. We've only just booked so not got long to get ready. I've been reading all the posts to get as much information as I can. :)

Jane

Hi Jane, we will be on this cruise flying from M/cr and as my title reveals this is our first cruise too. My main concern at the moment is my hair straighteners!!!! and I've just bought some new ones.

Can anyone advise about sending/receiving texts on board ship and also how is the internet access? Is it expensive, hard to book etc/ thanks for any help. :cool:

Firstly, we absolutely loved it on Ventura. We went for our Pearl Wedding Anniversary and it was absolutely superb. It was a VERY big ship, but once you'd got your bearings it was great.....

Sorry to the OP about a slight hijack of this thread but take a look at the P&O OV forums for the raging debate about social class (yes it is!)

I would love to go on P&O ships but will NOT be told that I have to wear formal dress EVERYWHERE on board. So I have four more Thomsons cruises lined up.

IMO if Thomsons could find 3 or 4 'modern' ships they would wipe the floor with P&O as Thomsons package is so good. I remember reading somewhere that Thomsons crews on P&O ships would be the ideal combination, minus the compulsory posh frocks of course (especially for the blokes).

Back to the proper thread

Yes there is internet access aboard and they have a internet cafe on main deck near reception.

I would love to go on P&O ships but will NOT be told that I have to wear formal dress EVERYWHERE on board. So I have four more Thomsons cruises lined up.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point!! We had 4 formal nights on our 2 week cruise, MOST people dressed up BUT NOT ALL. That's only 2 more than on Thomsons or 1 per week

Ann

Sorry to the OP about a slight hijack of this thread but take a look at the P&O OV forums for the raging debate about social class (yes it is!)

IMO if Thomsons could find 3 or 4 'modern' ships they would wipe the floor with P&O as Thomsons package is so good. I remember reading somewhere that Thomsons crews on P&O ships would be the ideal combination, minus the compulsory posh frocks of course (especially for the blokes).

Back to the proper thread

Yes there is internet access aboard and they have a internet cafe on main deck near reception.

Gosh - I've just been over to their forum to have a look. It gets so personal :eek: and it's so unnecessary. I can't believe they can get so screwed up about these issues. All that is needed, is to show some respect for others' and their opinions.

People ask valid questions and will receive a variety of responses - some with directly opposing views, but as long as people justify their opinions in a dispassionate and non-personal manner, that all helps to paint the picture and give members an opportunity to weigh up their preferences and make up their own minds.

But when people start making generalisations and assumptions about others, which are sometimes incredibly condescending and pretentious, it only serves to reinforce my opinion that the exchanges we have on here are very positive, (well, almost always) helpful and supportive without the need to be judgemental.

It always makes me wonder just how these people decide who are 'worthy'. Surely, it's the kind of person you are which is the important thing - not how much money you have, whether you have a regional accent, which type of suite you have or how many cruises you have done (or if they were on P&O or Cunard etc.) For me, it says a lot about the person engaging in put-downs - and not to their credit IMO.

I would just hate to end up on a table of diners (with or without formal attire :D) who are opinionated and lacking in tolerance. We have met so many lovely people on our Thomson cruises from all walks of life. We have enjoyed hearing some fascinating tales, sharing experiences of cruising and just accept people as we find them. And we hope to carry on meeting many more! :)

Sorry to have gone off topic a bit - but for new cruisers, take heart. Thomson ships are so friendly, welcoming and relaxed (whether you decide to dress up or not!) I'm sure you will have a great experience.

gosh - i've just been over to their forum to have a look. It gets so personal :eek: And it's so unnecessary. I can't believe they can get so screwed up about these issues. All that is needed, is to show some respect for others' and their opinions.

People ask valid questions and will receive a variety of responses - some with directly opposing views, but as long as people justify their opinions in a dispassionate and non-personal manner, that all helps to paint the picture and give members an opportunity to weigh up their preferences and make up their own minds.

But when people start making generalisations and assumptions about others, which are sometimes incredibly condescending and pretentious, it only serves to reinforce my opinion that the exchanges we have on here are very positive, (well, almost always) helpful and supportive without the need to be judgemental.

It always makes me wonder just how these people decide who are 'worthy'. Surely, it's the kind of person you are which is the important thing - not how much money you have, whether you have a regional accent, which type of suite you have or how many cruises you have done (or if they were on p&o or cunard etc.) for me, it says a lot about the person engaging in put-downs - and not to their credit imo.

I would just hate to end up on a table of diners (with or without formal attire :d) who are opinionated and lacking in tolerance. We have met so many lovely people on our thomson cruises from all walks of life. We have enjoyed hearing some fascinating tales, sharing experiences of cruising and just accept people as we find them. And we hope to carry on meeting many more! :)

sorry to have gone off topic a bit - but for new cruisers, take heart. Thomson ships are so friendly, welcoming and relaxed (whether you decide to dress up or not!) i'm sure you will have a great experience.

well said!

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point!! We had 4 formal nights on our 2 week cruise, MOST people dressed up BUT NOT ALL. That's only 2 more than on Thomsons or 1 per week

Ann

Apologies for not making my self clear that your cruise on the Ventura was a lead in to what I had to say about the P&O forum discussions. They are well worth a visit to see how civilised we are here!

Apologies also if I have started a formal v casual discussion here as there is no need.

Can I just say I have also been on P&O Ventura, absolutely loved it, and I am on another P&O ship Oceana in 13 days time.

I am also booked on Thompson Spirit for next March, due to the itinerary, and I am sure I will enjoy it as much as I have P&O.

Re: Formal nights, not a lot of difference P&O have 2 a week, Thompson's 1.

However as the saying goes, when in Rome..... so I will dress, according to the dress code of the night, on whatever ship, I have the privilege of finding myself on, out of courtesy to my fellow cruisers.:D:D

Sorry to start another formal row. Just wanted to start a roll call for Destiny. Anyway you'll know me I'll be carrying my Tesco carrier bag.;)xxx

Jane

Believe me, Jane this isn't a row! Just have a look at the P&O forum if you want to see how acrimonious it can get!!! :eek:

In my experience, on this forum, you do gets shades of opinion, but usually offered in a really helpful way in an attempt to give fellow travellers information to help with their planning and make them feel at ease about travelling with Thomson. :)

To me, it is representative of the folks we have met on Thomson and those who contribute here. (I can't begin to describe the different ambience on an big american ship we went on -although we had a good trip thanks to the itinerary and weather!) On Thomson we've always found people to be decent, welcoming and friendly (which mirrors the staff and crew too!). Of course there are a few you wouldn't wish to spent too much time with (but then again, the same can be said of work colleagues and others you come across in your everyday life!!) but that's just personal choice. But Thomson ships are so happy, most people will feel comfortable and there's a range of different types of entertainment and eating choice (formal or not :D!) such that there's something to suit most tastes.

I suppose a die-hard Cunard traveller may not be suited, but then again they probably wouldn't book Thomson - although you can sometimes be surprised. We met two dear old ladies (much travelled with many cruise lines including P&O and Cunard) who kept coming back to Thomson - it's a package and you weigh up the pro's and con's. They frequently travelled with Thomson because of the atmosphere and service. They met a retired ex-P&O first officer in Horizons one night - I was interested to know what he made of Thomson and they said he 'was tickled pink with it and would be back'!

So much depends on your personality I think - if you're a 'people person' and not looking for superficial gloss or lots of facilities like ice rinks etc (which Thomson don't have), I think you would respond to what draws a lot of us back - feeling 'at home' on board.

So you take your Tesco bag if you want, Jane - Thomson is a broad church and I'm sure no one will start a thread moaning about it! :D

Nah!, Sainsbury's or M&S for me :)

Actually a plastic bag is useful for carrying the stuff on excursions if you don't mind looking like a tourist or don't want or need one of those day pack thingies.

as for ice rinks, don't need em!, now if you add a 'd' ........:D

Nah!, Sainsbury's or M&S for me :)

as for ice rinks, don't need em!, now if you add a 'd' ........:D

He he I'm with you on that one. We will certainly be partaking of one or two or maybe even three little drinkies with ice. The cocktails are one of my favourites. I like to have tried most of them before we leave!!!:eek:

Ann

Which is the best way to call home from Destiny, I have mobile, or am I better calling from land when we stop.:confused:

I found a thread about hair straighteners being plugged in behind the television as there is a uk plug there.:confused: Is this right.

Which is the best way to call home from Destiny, I have mobile, or am I better calling from land when we stop.:confused:

I found a thread about hair straighteners being plugged in behind the television as there is a uk plug there.:confused: Is this right.

If you are on Vodaphone passport, this summer you can use your normal tarriff without the 75p connection fee. See Vodaphone website for countries. Costs a fortune if you use the ships own system while at sea.

We use our mobiles whilst in port - we're Orange and have just recently been notified that it's 19p set-up and 38p per minute (charged by the second) for calls in Europe Zone 1 (most of Western Med). It's 10p for texts. Check out with your phone operator for details for your mobile. The ship's satellite is very expensive to use - in our ticket brochure it was quoted as $7.95 per minute (in Feb) on Destiny. I'd only use that in emergencies.

Yes, I've read about the socket behind the TV but had no problem with my hair tongs using the outlet on the dressing table. If I remember correctly, there was both a European and an American style socket in our cabin. Be sure to take adaptors (you can get a combined one very cheaply in Argos - less than £3 I think) then you shouldn't have any trouble provided your tongs are dual voltage 110/220V.

Archived