Luggage Tags - When to Attach?

Poulsbo Cruisers

Although my DW and I have cruised many times, I always question when to put the luggage tags on the luggage. On our upcoming cruise, we have arranged our own flights and will be spending two pre-cruise days in Rome (on our own). We did however, pay for the Princess transfers from Rome to the ship.

When do we put the luggage tags on our bags? Before we leave home or after we are in Rome? I know the literature from Princess seems to suggest that we place the luggage tags on our bags immediately with no mention as whether or not to do this only when using Princess air and transfers from the airport. However, the logical side of me would think that there is no need to place the luggage tags on the bags until we are in our hotel in Rome. What does everyone else do?

Although my DW and I have cruised many times, I always question when to put the luggage tags on the luggage. On our upcoming cruise, we have arranged our own flights and will be spending two pre-cruise days in Rome (on our own). We did however, pay for the Princess transfers from Rome to the ship.

When do we put the luggage tags on our bags? Before we leave home or after we are in Rome? I know the literature from Princess seems to suggest that we place the luggage tags on our bags immediately with no mention as whether or not to do this only when using Princess air and transfers from the airport. However, the logical side of me would think that there is no need to place the luggage tags on the bags until we are in our hotel in Rome. What does everyone else do?

Usually I put them on the day of the cruise because luggage takes such abuse on flights, however, if you have Princess transfers perhaps you should contact them and see what they suggest. Bon Voyage!

Put the tags on before you leave home. Here's why.

Last time we cruised, we had plans to fly to Houston the day before our ship left. The plane had mechanical troubles, and hours and hours of waiting and promises and one delay after another later, they gave us the last three seats on another plane. Of course our luggage was still on the first plane which wasn't actually canceled until a couple of hours after we left on the second plane. So we got to the hotel late at night with nothing but our carry-ons.

The next day, after a quick trip to the local Walmart for the bare necessities, we boarded the ship figuring we'd have to spend more time than usual shopping. When we checked in, we told the NCL staff about the lost luggage. They took a copy of the forms the airline had given us and our claim checks and faxed everything to their airport rep who went and searched out our luggage and got it onto the last bus with the passengers who'd bought transfers.

Later on when they called our cabin to make sure they'd found all the pieces, they told us it was the cruise tags that helped them find our stuff and that they only got it with minutes to spare. If they'd had to search through hundreds of bags without an easy way to identify the ones that belonged to us, the odds would not have been in our favor.

I'm anticipating a much smoother trip for our upcoming cruise next weekend, but I'm still going to put those tags on my checked bag before handing it to the airline. I have enough extra tags that if one gets pulled off during handling, I'll just stick another one on before handing it over again at the ship.

Our scheduled flights were Tampa/New York/Venice. Due to an electrical storm our flight out of Tampa was delayed enough that we missed or connection in New York. We were lucky enough to catch another flight without our luggage. Upon reaching Venice we filed a lost luggage report. We were staying in Venice two days before boarding. Some luggage caught up to us at the hotel, the rest made it to the ship. My luggage tags are on the luggage before I leave home. Next cruise is in 3 weeks and the tags are filled out.:D

Don

Thanks for the great advice. I will attach them prior to leaving home. Princess provided plenty of tags so if they get beat up on the flight, I can just attach new ones.
If I have a pre-cruise stay of longer than a day, I use the Magellan "retriever" tag (http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage_Scales___Locks___Luggage_Locks___TagsLA311?Args=) I put together my itinerary with all flights, hotels address and phone #, ship, ports, etc. with day-by-day details, fold it and put it in the tag. That way, should my luggage be "lost," the airline knows exactly where I am and where to send it. I then put my ship's tags on the morning before boarding. If I'm flying to a cruise leaving from a US port and arriving the day before, I put the ship's tags on before leaving home.

Archived