food and service: RCCI Majesty vs. Zuiderdam

asmitty

One thing that I am really looking forward to with my first HAL experience is the food. My last two cruises have been on RCCI Majesty, and while the food was definitely edible, I was always thinking 'there must be better food than this on HAL'. I am not a complainer about cruise food because I certainly think that 1. not having to cook and 2. having some better choices than we would normally have at one of our usual restaurants is wonderful.

Can anyone give their opinion of RCCI vs. HAL when it comes to food and service? I know that HAL has to be atleast as good, if not tons better than Majesty of the Seas (I hope).

We were on RCI's Brilliance of the Seas in the Baltic during its first season, 2002, I think. The ship was beautiful and we had a wonderful cruise, but I thought the food was below par with very limited selections.

Last month we returned from our 6th HAL cruise and we have two more booked. I like having seven dinner selections on HAL and I think the food is superior to what we had on Brilliance.

We've also been on three Celebrity cruises and the food was very good, but currently we prefer the ambience of HAL.

A friend of mine and her daughter have sailed HAL a few times, but decided, last year, to give RCCL a try. They said the food and service on RCCL was ok, but they said it didn't compare to HAL.

I am like you, if I don't have to cook and clean the mess up, I am thrilled. I have always enjoyed my meals on HAL and have always found the service to be excellent. I am sure you will have a wonderful cruise.

QUOTE:

......... if I don't have to cook and clean the mess up, I am thrilled.

Not me. I expect a whole lot more than just not having to cook and clean up. If that's basically all I am paying for and cafeteria Grade C food, I'm not thrilled, I'm furious. That's not what I'm cruising on HAL for and will move up to a really premium line, even if it means cruising less.

It's that 'oh, well' attitude that is allowing HAL to cut back on quality and service and serve meatloaf rather than prime rib at the embarkation lunch.

Peaches, I hear you, but I am still thrilled if I don't have to cook and clean up, I guess I have just always been very happy with the food on HAL and am expecting I always will. Time will tell as I have my two cruises in March. I hope I don't get peanut butter and jelly for my embarkation luncheon!!!!!!!

For me the best food was on Celebrity(Century) , but HAL(Zuiderdam) was veryyyyyyy close and better in some areas (great variety of fresh juices, nice food stations in buffet, nice salad choices in buffet, black caviar on formal night).

Both lines impressed me much more than RCI. (in term of food) :)

I'd say that wait service in dining room was much better and personal (and faster) on Splendour than on HAL. (and both HAL and RCI were understaffed in comparisson to Celebrity)

One thing that I am really looking forward to with my first HAL experience is the food. My last two cruises have been on RCCI Majesty, and while the food was definitely edible, I was always thinking 'there must be better food than this on HAL'. I am not a complainer about cruise food because I certainly think that 1. not having to cook and 2. having some better choices than we would normally have at one of our usual restaurants is wonderful.

Can anyone give their opinion of RCCI vs. HAL when it comes to food and service? I know that HAL has to be atleast as good, if not tons better than Majesty of the Seas (I hope).

Yikes to me there is NO comparison. . . obviously in HAL's favor. I'll be good and just stop there - heheh.

Steve

Thanks for all of the positives for HAL. I am expecting it to be wonderful and am greatly anticipating delicious food, but started to worry a little after all of the negatives I've read concerning the "bland" and below average food(as well as service). Even if it's not the most spectacular I've ever had, I will still be so thankful for the opportunity to not have to lift a finger for many days! And kudos to all of those people who work day after day taking care of all of us vacationers- I sure would find it hard to keep a smile on my face every day after working as hard as they do!

There was a nice range of choices, usually well prepared, except, at least at our dining room table, most of the food was lukewarm. I enjoy lamb and had it three times -- braised shank, rack of lamb chops, and roast leg of lamb. All were good, but had they been warm, they would have been better, although the lamb shank wasn't as good as what we had at a modest Cuban cafe in Miami. Halibut, another favorite, managed to be both overcooked and under-heated.

Archived