Re-post: Amalfi Drive v. Amalfi Launch

[Mistakenly posted elsewhere earlier today!}

Anyone have any input on which of the 2 ship excursions is "better" - the one that combines Pompeii with an Amalfi Drive (via bus) or Launch (via water)...price is the same. Biggest difference I saw was that the former provided lunch in Amalfi, while the latter the lunch was at Pompeii...any experience? (I know: "Why would someone do the second one, after they had done the first?"....which is why I'm not sure anyone can do a valid comparison - but thought it was worth a shot!) Thanks!

[Mistakenly posted elsewhere earlier today!}

Anyone have any input on which of the 2 ship excursions is "better" - the one that combines Pompeii with an Amalfi Drive (via bus) or Launch (via water)...price is the same. Biggest difference I saw was that the former provided lunch in Amalfi, while the latter the lunch was at Pompeii...any experience? (I know: "Why would someone do the second one, after they had done the first?"....which is why I'm not sure anyone can do a valid comparison - but thought it was worth a shot!) Thanks!

My first recommendation would be to consider a private tour here. if you can get a group of 4-6 people you'll have a better experience for far less money.

I chose the Pompeii + Amalfi "drive." We did it in a private mini-van instead of a "bus" There is a lot of difference between the two. On the drive, time and roads permitting, you can make multiple stops in places like Amalfi, Ravello, Positano to enjoy the views, do some shopping, and take in some sightseening. My take on a by boat would likely be one stop in Amalfi. Viewing the cliffs from above and a narrow road is more spectacular then from the ocean in my humble opinion.

Lunch in Ravello, Positano or Amalfi will be far more interesting then one in Pompeii in my opinion as well.

Enjoy Naples

I have often been critical of the cruise ship bus tours of the Amalfi Coast. The reason is that none of the bus tours can actually take you into Positano, which is arguably the most interesting town on the coast (some might argue that Revello is more beautiful). Positano has only a single one-way road that snakes through the town and starts and ends high up on the Amalfi Drive. Tour buses are not permitted to enter this road (it is only open to private cars, small vans, the SITA bus, and the local Orange buses). The world is full of cruise ship passengers who can tell you they "saw Positano" but none on those tours can tell you "they went into Positano." As to lunch, there is nothing charming about lunch near Pompeii, and in fact, most of the bus tours take you to one of the large restaurants/cafes near the ruins that are designed to handle bus tours. Lunch along the Amalfi Coast (be it along the drive, in Positano or in Ravello) can be a real treat. For those who do not have the ambition to do the Amalfi Coast on their own, I strongly recommend a private tour that includes a drive down into Positano, a visit to Amalfi, and or course a visit to Ravello. This part of Italy is totally wonderful, and it has sucked us in for two lengthy vacations along the coast.

Hank

Thanks for the input....now I have to re-think everything. We are traveling with another recently retired couple and trying to be cost-conscious...I originally wanted to do a private tour here but then found it to actually be a bit more expensive than the ship tour, so I was willing to do the "herd" thing (against my better judgment). Limo in Rome was E500 ($700 at today's rate) for 4 people and the ship one was $157 each; just about the same, but that would have included lunch so I was going to have a hard time trying to convince everyone it was worth the difference....think I'll do a little more investigation and see what I can come up with - I greatly appreciate the advice. The water route seemed inviting (but as my DH pointed out - what happens if it rains?)...we'd probably muck thru Pompeii but in a "motorboat"...not so sure.

Alternatively - I've seen many posts about getting to Pompeii on your own, which seems doable. Are there private tours that would just do the Amalfi Drive part of it? Probably not the best method....ok back on the Web! Thanks so much

Thanks for the input....now I have to re-think everything. We are traveling with another recently retired couple and trying to be cost-conscious...I originally wanted to do a private tour here but then found it to actually be a bit more expensive than the ship tour, so I was willing to do the "herd" thing (against my better judgment). Limo in Rome was E500 ($700 at today's rate) for 4 people and the ship one was $157 each; just about the same, but that would have included lunch so I was going to have a hard time trying to convince everyone it was worth the difference....think I'll do a little more investigation and see what I can come up with - I greatly appreciate the advice. The water route seemed inviting (but as my DH pointed out - what happens if it rains?)...we'd probably muck thru Pompeii but in a "motorboat"...not so sure.

Alternatively - I've seen many posts about getting to Pompeii on your own, which seems doable. Are there private tours that would just do the Amalfi Drive part of it? Probably not the best method....ok back on the Web! Thanks so much

You should go to rollcalls and see if you can find another couple or three. Even for the "same" price I'd do Romeinlimo or other private vendor versus the ship in a hearbeat. If you can find a few more tour shares you'll be cheaper and see more too.

You get a private car AC car versus a big bus.

You'll get picked up early without waiting for 60 other people to gather and board a bus

You'll get to pompeii and be dropped right at the ticket office. They will pick you up a short 50 meters from the exit. You can be at Pompii at the opening and enjoy some of the best attractions before the hordes of bus tours arrive and make the attractions feel like a blackfriday shopping :eek:

They will drive you where NO bus can go on the Amalfi with stops at various places to shop and sightsee. And, as I mentioned above you won't be waiting for 60 of your new friends to get on and off the bus at each top.

Your driver will entertain you with lots of stories and be able to answer any personal questions you have.

You will likely have lunch in Ravello in a small family owned resturant that will cost you no more then 12 euros with views to die for!

Lastly you'll get back to the ship way before the ship tour buses and be able to have a nice drink before the crowds get back.

That was our experience with Romeinlimo in Naples :D

Sounds perfect...you're preachin' to the choir as this is the way I want to do things, but I only get 1 vote. But I am going to go back to my roll call and see what I can do. Thanks for the ammunition!

Archived