What is it like for 13-year-old girls on Celebrity?

cvpends

We're heading Southbound on the Millennium this July and are trying to get an idea about it will be like for our 13-year-old daughter. What is the kids program like for kids her age? Are the shows at night fun for kids? What is a "winner" and what isn't on board for young teens?

(I looked at the family cruises area of the CC message boards and it seems mostly geared towards younger kids and other cruise lines, that's why I'm asking here.)

Thanks, in advance, to all of you who have "been before!"

Claire

She's on the borderline when it will either be the most fun ever or nothing in the kids area will interest her. She should at least go at the very beginning to get to know other kids on the cruise so she'll have people to hang out with. It's very possible that they'd prefer to spend a day at the pool rather than in the program and, as long as they're being respectful of others, that's fine. You'll find you'll spend more time getting to know the other kids and their parents so you'll how she's spending her time. If she's a social person, she'll have a great time.

We were on the Infinity last summer and my daughter was 13 at the time. She found the kids club for that age more a place to meet people then really participating in any of the planned acitvities which really didn't interest her. She spent most of the time hanging out with the friends she made, They spent their time in the hot tub, getting ice cream, talking or reading in the library.

She enjoyed pretty much all the shows in the evening.

She enjoyed the downtime from the busy days we had in the ports.

Ron

We were on the Galaxy in '07 and I asked if anyone on our roll-call had a daughter the same age as mine, at the time she was 10. I managed to find a family who was going on our cruise who had a daughter the same age. The two kids stared emailing each other months before the cruise and once on board became fast friends. They've kept in contact ever since and we will be on the Equinox together this summer and they can't wait to see each other again.

You might ask your roll-call members the same question. It really made a difference for my daughter that she would have a friend to meet up with once on board, and they had a great time together.

Either way, I'm sure your daughter will have a great time.

Ron

Just my two cents. I often meet "tweens" on board who are hanging at inappropriate areas (Champagne Bar) at night, because they are "bored". Celebrity isn't a luxury line, it's a mainstream line, but it's not as kid friendly as Royal Carribean, Carnival or Disney.

They have great programs for smaller children and the older teens tend to hang out with each other, but 13 is a tough age no matter where you go. I would recommend you include her as much as possible and not expect the ship to be her entertainment.

Hope she has fun! My first cruise I was 16, and in those days, 16 year old were far more mature IMO, so I had no problem having fun on my own.

Just my two cents. I often meet "tweens" on board who are hanging at inappropriate areas (Champagne Bar) at night, because they are "bored".

I totally agree with Veronica. Teens also hang out in remote areas of the ship or in each other's rooms doing all sorts of things you can imagine...

Wow, thanks everyone for all the information and advice! I'm guessing she will spend a good deal of time with her dad and me, but hope that she can also find some other kids around her age to spend some fun time with.

What kind of technology is available to the kids? My daughter loves the internet (dont' know where she got that!!), and I'm wondering if the kids have free access to it or if they have to pay that same per-minute fee that the rest of us pay.

Claire

Wow, thanks everyone for all the information and advice! I'm guessing she will spend a good deal of time with her dad and me, but hope that she can also find some other kids around her age to spend some fun time with.

What kind of technology is available to the kids? My daughter loves the internet (dont' know where she got that!!), and I'm wondering if the kids have free access to it or if they have to pay that same per-minute fee that the rest of us pay.

Claire

THEY PAY!! And it's not cheap - so do not - by any means - give her a logon in the computer room - if she racks up $1000 in internet bills, you are liable. They have a video game room - teen room if you will - where the conservatory is. Not much, but they have games. Other than that, she has access to the same things you will.

Look at it this way, in a few years, she won't want to go anywhere with her parents. ha. So keep her close and enjoy seeing new things for the first time with her. There is excellent artwork on Celebrity and every room has things to see and talk about. Take her to shows, etc. And give her a bedtime, so you and hubby can go have a nightcap.

Wouldn't hurt to ask the steward to keep an eye out as well.

We took our 2 girls many years ago on the Galaxy (when it was brand new). They were 13 and 19. The 13-year-old had a blast with others her age -- she actually went with the younger kids rather than older (she was borderline age). THe older one found NO ONE hardly her age who went on spring break with their parents. She was a freshman in college and at that time -- can't remember how it is now -- 18-up could buy drinks so she enjoyed that. She finally found a few older young adults but still had a blast -- hey, Mom and Dad were paying for it so why not go!!! So no matter what, the kids DO have fun.

It all depends if your daughter appreciates the chance to go on a cruise at all.Any one of our 4 kids would have jumped at a chance to travel.But we couldn't afford it then.If she is used to the high life she might expect to be entertained.With the exception of school vacation there might not be many other kids onboard.Three years ago we were on a Panama Canal cruise and there were two teenagers in the buffet area having a sugar eating contest.I was so excited at transiting the Panama Canal I wanted to smack them both upside the head and ask if they knew how lucky they were.I didn't.

Our 12 year old had a good time this past Feb on the Solstise

not a ton of kids

one big downfall is that the pools and the hot tub close at 8 pm every night

Only reason i would go back to RCCL is for the pool use till midnight

Yeah, I agree. If they're too young to appreciate what a treat it is and the travel aspect, it's a waste of money. I thnk a mature 13 year old might appreciate it and it's good to start exposing her to the "bigger" world.

Sugar eating contest...ROFL....:rolleyes:

I was totally ENCHANTED with my first cruise at 16. For me, it was magical. We went to Bermuda on HAL. I'd never been farther than the Jersey shore.

Yeah, I agree. If they're too young to appreciate what a treat it is and the travel aspect, it's a waste of money. I thnk a mature 13 year old might appreciate it and it's good to start exposing her to the "bigger" world.

Sugar eating contest...ROFL....:rolleyes:

I was totally ENCHANTED with my first cruise at 16. For me, it was magical. We went to Bermuda on HAL. I'd never been farther than the Jersey shore.

After having experienced the Jersey shore you were enchanted by a cruise to Bermuda?!:D

No worries about my daughter's maturity level or the interest value of the cruise to her. Erika is a true intellectual. Her idea of a good time is a science museum or aquarium, but she also loves the arts. Last night we had the time of our lives at Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, and we are members of most of the local science museums and aquariums in the Bay Area and Monterey. Recently, we went to the Oakland Symphony and to see The Sound of Music at our local theatre. This week we go to see Romeo and Juliet at the Shakespeare festival in Orinda. These are just a few examples of the kinds of things that excite her, and she loves hanging out with her parents and doing these types of things. She has been making plans about what pictures she's going to take in Alaska, and what websites she's going to upload them to, and what books she's going to read. I think she's also planning to bring her beading supplies and tools.

I guess what I'm concerned with is whether Erika will have some fun with other kids on the ship. I think the bottom line is that if she finds some kids to connect to, she will, and otherwise she'll be with us. I can't imagine her connecting with kids that hang out in bars or have sugar-eating contests (her words would be "that's stew-pod!") so I'm not worried about that. But she does love to have fun with kids that have good senses of humor and love to laugh. She also loves to do creative things. I wonder what the teen program has for kids that like to be creative -- anyone know?

I've really appreciated all of the varied points of views of those of you who have responded to my original question. Please keep the advice coming!!

Claire

She sounds like me at her age. Mature and prefers adults to "children" her own age. Celebrity does feature amazing art literally throughout the corridors and all public rooms. Walk all the cabin corridors - they are all lined with photographic art. The main rooms feature sculptures and other various art. I think she'll have a marvelous time she'll remember forever. She may end becoming a cruise lover for life because of it, as I did.

I hope you all have a wonderful family adventure!

:)

I'm new to cruising but from what I've heard from other parents, the first night of any cruise is the most important time for kids to show up at the club and meet other kids their age. After that, the teens typically entertain themselves.

We are also doing a southbound Alaska cruise and all of our port days will be filled. My 15yr old son won't really have a ton of downtime, but I expect he will have free run of the ship when he does, I doubt he'll participate in the official kids club activities, but who knows, something might be of interest to him. I hope that on the first night and first sea day, he'll meet other kids his age.

He is expected to have dinner with us each evening as we are on a family trip celebrating grandma and grandpa's 50th anniversary, and dinner is family time for our whole group to be together. He'll have some time after dinner but he'll have to be back in the room at a reasonable time because we have early mornings most every day. So mostly he'll only have a couple hours each evening and the two sea days to entertain himself.

I think if we hadn't planned such a busy schedule, we might have gone with another cruise line with more activities for teens. As we will be so busy, I think Celebrity will be perfect for all of us.

We are really looking forward to Alaska, I know my son will love it. He doesn't need climbing walls or golf for entertainment. He'll be able to use his phone while we are in port to to call, text, or use Facebook to keep in touch with his friends, so it isn't like we'll be out of the country where he can't keep in touch with the outside world, either!

"I know my son will love it. He doesn't need climbing walls or golf for entertainment. He'll be able to use his phone while we are in port to to call, text, or use Facebook to keep in touch with his friends, so it isn't like we'll be out of the country where he can't keep in touch with the outside world, either!"

You'll have to forgive me, but that makes me very sad. That's the whole point of a cruise...:(....to expand your horizons.

"I know my son will love it. He doesn't need climbing walls or golf for entertainment. He'll be able to use his phone while we are in port to to call, text, or use Facebook to keep in touch with his friends, so it isn't like we'll be out of the country where he can't keep in touch with the outside world, either!"

You'll have to forgive me, but that makes me very sad. That's the whole point of a cruise...:(....to expand your horizons.

I can't see how texting friends once in awhile prevents anyone from expanding horizons. In fact, I suspect it will in fact expand horizons of the people on the receiving end of the messages. We'll be viewing glaciers, visiting the rainforest, viewing whales, fishing, riding the train and much more. We like to get out and see and do as much as we can when we travel. Unlike the millions of people who go to Alaska only to spend their time in those annoying jewelry stores, lol.;)

Sorry to hear you are sad for my son. He loves to travel and we try to do so a few times a year. I think if I tried to cut him off from his friends when we were away, he would enjoy traveling less. Sooner or later, kids no longer want to travel with their families. I take nothing for granted, I'm going to enjoy all the time I can with him and do what I can to make sure he enjoys his time with us, as well.

Archived