Help with hotel near to Cape Liberty

ryansmum

Hi,

We're arriving on 2nd September and need a hotel for one night before our cruise on Explorer on 3rd September. Can anyone please advise - we like the idea of going to Jersey Gardens outlet. This is for my Mum and I so a room with 2 beds.

Also we are spending 3 nights in Manhattan post cruise. We've got our hotel sorted (Comfort Inn Times Square W 39th St) but can anyone advise re public transport from cruise terminal into Manhattan.

Many Thanks.

Lorraine.

First of all - here's Meg's blog - http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/

I am assuming you need transportation to the pier and back - you did not buy a cruise package from the UK that included a hotel and cruise transfers. You should look at Country Inns in Elizabeth which is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. They are are offering 2 queen beds, breakfast, and transportation to the ship and back for $165 + tax (about $198). This is a good deal - if you arrange your own transportation it will be about $50+ each way. This hotel also has an airport shuttle. This is also the only hotel that we recommend that offers cruise transfers.

Sleep & Cruise Package-2 Queen Guest Room

PRICE:

165.00 US Dollar (USD) Per night Tax excluded For 1 nights per room

ROOM DESCRIPTION:

Queen Guest Room Includes:

***Complimentary high speed internet access***

- 2 Queen Beds

- Hot & Healthy Breakfast Buffet

- 27" television with remote

- Ironing board and iron

- Hairdryer

- Coffeemaker and coffee

- Secured Parking lot

- Complimentary in-room digital safe

FEATURES:

Sleep & Cruise Package includes:

-Overnight accommodations

-2 round trip transportation vouchers to Port of Bayonne, NJ

-Deluxe Continental Breakfast buffet

**Parking is not included in this package**

-8 nights of parking is available for $35 additionally

INSTRUCTIONS:

1 night minimum stay required.

The package includes transportation to the port for 2 people. Additional transporaton is available for $45 for 2 people.

GUARANTEE POLICY:

Credit card holds accepted

CANCELLATION POLICY:

Cancel by 6:00 PM hotel time on Sep 02 2009 = No penalty

Late cancel or no show will be charged 198.00 USD.

When you come back, I think they will drop you at the airport. You have two reasonable choices to get to NY.

1) Take your luggage up to the airtrain to go to Newark airport station to catch the train to NY. This is $15/pp. $11.25 for a senior.

2) Take a cab to Newark Penn Station ($25-$30) and the train to NY ($4/pp - $1.75 for a senior).

Option 2 is a lot less hassle. At New York Penn Station you would take another cab to your hotel, which is only a few blocks away. Total cost should be $40-$45.

gee carol you are up early!

ryansmum............

welcome! as 138east said..........the country inn has a cruise package. if you look at my blog there are other hotels as well. (2 are adjacent to the Country Inn) and there are 3 across from jersey gardens mall (the 3 being the country inn and the courtyard and residence inn by marriott--address for all 3 is glimcher realty way, elizabeth, NJ)

the shuttles for those hotels might also drop you at the mall....you CAN walk but if you buy a lot of things, you may want to ask if they will get you!!:D

by those 3 hotels above is also a ruby tuesday restaurant....not sure if you have that, or TGIFridays across the pond....but

www.rubytuesday.com . all sorts of food....hanburgers, chicken, steak and more.

there was a diner there too but it seems to have closed. Bummer...LOTS of food...reasonable prices....MAYBE they will reopen.

As for getting into NYC.....probably the train as mentioned.

there MAY be car service at the pier willing to go INTO NYC...BUT, as i have not done this, I am not sure of the availability or cost. do NOT take a regular cab into Manhattan.

what airport are you using??? Newark or JFK.......and do you need to know how to get back there as well??

toodles for now!

Good morning Meg. I'm always up early. Didn't even think the OP might be coming into Kennedy - I just assumed Newark because she is asking about Newark hotels.

Somebody commented that there was a bus to NY from the pier for $25/pp. That might be faster and not that much more expensive than using the "free" ride back to the airport and paying for a cab to Newark and the train to NY. . It's so hard to know what will work the best on a given day. The OP is from Scotland and I'm sure she doesn't want to be arranging car services if she doesn't have to. The other thing is that she may not have a cell phone in case something goes awry.

I am assuming you need transportation to the pier and back - you did not buy a cruise package from the UK that included a hotel and cruise transfers. You should look at Country Inns in Elizabeth which is next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. They are are offering 2 queen beds, breakfast, and transportation to the ship and back for $165 + tax (about $198). This is a good deal - if you arrange your own transportation it will be about $50+ each way. This hotel also has an airport shuttle. This is also the only hotel that we recommend that offers cruise transfers.

PRICE:

ROOM DESCRIPTION:

- 2 Queen Beds

- Ironing board and iron

- Hairdryer

- Coffeemaker and coffee

- Secured Parking lot

FEATURES:

INSTRUCTIONS:

The package includes transportation to the port for 2 people. Additional transporaton is available for $45 for 2 people.

GUARANTEE POLICY:

CANCELLATION POLICY:

When you come back, I think they will drop you at the airport. You have two reasonable choices to get to NY.

1) Take your luggage up to the airtrain to go to Newark airport station to catch the train to NY. This is $15/pp. $11.25 for a senior.

2) Take a cab to Newark Penn Station ($25-$30) and the train to NY ($4/pp - $1.75 for a senior).

Option 2 is a lot less hassle. At New York Penn Station you would take another cab to your hotel, which is only a few blocks away. Total cost should be $40-$45.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your quick reply. No we did not buy a cruise package as we like to have a bit more control over our arrangements and a lot of the packages had a stopover. We've arranged direct flights from Edinburgh with Continental. We really wanted to go to NYC pre cruise but our dates didn't work so have arranged to stay 3 nights post cruise as we LOVE NYC.

We've taken your advice and booked Country Inn & Suites for $198. It seems like a really good deal and will save money & hassle in the long run. I phoned the hotel yesterday & they said there is a bus across the street from the hotel which goes into Port Authority or we could take their free shuttle to the Newark Airport & take the train into Manhattan. However if you think getting a cab to Newark Penn would be less hassle we'll probably go with your suggestion.

Can't wait for our trip & many thanks for your help.

Lorraine.

PRICE:

ROOM DESCRIPTION:

- 2 Queen Beds

- Ironing board and iron

- Hairdryer

- Coffeemaker and coffee

- Secured Parking lot

FEATURES:

INSTRUCTIONS:

GUARANTEE POLICY:

CANCELLATION POLICY:

gee carol you are up early!

ryansmum............

welcome! as 138east said..........the country inn has a cruise package. if you look at my blog there are other hotels as well. (2 are adjacent to the Country Inn) and there are 3 across from jersey gardens mall (the 3 being the country inn and the courtyard and residence inn by marriott--address for all 3 is glimcher realty way, elizabeth, NJ)

the shuttles for those hotels might also drop you at the mall....you CAN walk but if you buy a lot of things, you may want to ask if they will get you!!:D

by those 3 hotels above is also a ruby tuesday restaurant....not sure if you have that, or TGIFridays across the pond....but

www.rubytuesday.com . all sorts of food....hanburgers, chicken, steak and more.

there was a diner there too but it seems to have closed. Bummer...LOTS of food...reasonable prices....MAYBE they will reopen.

As for getting into NYC.....probably the train as mentioned.

there MAY be car service at the pier willing to go INTO NYC...BUT, as i have not done this, I am not sure of the availability or cost. do NOT take a regular cab into Manhattan.

what airport are you using??? Newark or JFK.......and do you need to know how to get back there as well??

toodles for now!

Hi Meg,

Thanks also for your reply. It made me laugh - I think you must know my Mum and I when you say

"you CAN walk but if you buy a lot of things, you may want to ask if they will get you!!:D"

LOL that is us alright. I've been to NYC twice before & haven't yet had time to do any outlet shopping - I've always wanted to go to Woodbury or Jersey Gardens so this will be ideal for us!! The hotel have confirmed the shuttle picks up from the Mall too so this will be handy!!! Just have to be careful not too much luggage as we're taking the train back to NYC.

We'll either get a cab back from Manhattan to Newark Airport (depending on luggage) or we'll take the train again - to be honest not really wanting to think about leaving NYC.

Thanks again.

Lorraine.

I got a room through Priceline with a bid of about $80, I think, for the Holiday Inn in Harmon Meadows n Jan. I think it's the first exit past the Cape Liberty exit on the turnpike, I think, so it's not far. I stayed there when I was visiting NYC. (It's a 15 min bus ride into the city) If there's no convention going on, the whole Harmon Meadows area is like a ghost town, but that was fine with us. The regular standard room was huge, well appointed and with very comfortable beds and linens. We were very happy with the room and with the convenience. (Oh, I hope I'm not confused. Cape Liberty exit is where Ellis Island is, isn't it? I think we're talking about the same area.)

Hi,

We're arriving on 2nd September and need a hotel for one night before our cruise on Explorer on 3rd September. Can anyone please advise - we like the idea of going to Jersey Gardens outlet. This is for my Mum and I so a room with 2 beds.

Also we are spending 3 nights in Manhattan post cruise. We've got our hotel sorted (Comfort Inn Times Square W 39th St) but can anyone advise re public transport from cruise terminal into Manhattan.

Many Thanks.

Lorraine.

Archived