Herculaneum v. Pompeii

I've read in several places on these boards that Herculaneum is a more manageable tour than Pompeii, despite the fact that it seems the majority of the people do the latter. Having never seen Pompeii, would we be sorry to skip it and do Herculaneum instead? Intent is to combine with Amalfi Drive - not sure which we'd do first. Since it seems we'd have to do a private tour to do this, I want to make sure I'm not skipping the meat for the potatoes.

Opinions will differ on this. In my opinion, Pompeii is the better choice as it is more of a complete site. You see the whole city (working class and upper class) , not just a part of a wealthy enclave, which Herculaneum is. You get a better idea of the extent of the destruction caused by Vesuvius. But you really need about 3 hours there (or even more) to see enough. If you are going to be rushing through because of other things you have planned, then maybe Herculaneum would work better for you.

If you believe this will be your one opportunity to see this area of Italy - by all means make it Pompei. As cruisemom42 stated Pompei is such a huge and comprehensive site. They keep uncovering more and more each year! POersonally, as a history buff I would hate to have missed being there and seeing it!

Before I went I felt the same as the previous poster. But after much consideration, we did decide to combine Herculaneum with the Amalfi Coast and it was the BEST day of our cruise. Our companions had previously been to Pompeii and they were bowled over by the state of preservation at Herculaneum. While Pompeii is a larger, more comprehensive site Herculaneum is more intact.

After our tour, we drove along the coast and stopped at the most amazing restaurant overlooking the bay. This was a local establishment recommended by our tour guide. He and his family liked to dine there. We enjoyed handmade Italian pastas and pizza, antipasti, and homemade limoncello. The food was AMAZING, and the view was the icing on the cake. I wouldn't have missed this little slice of heaven in exchange for seeing more ruins.

Then we shopped our way back to the ship. Whatever you decide to do, take time to enjoy the most of Italy!

I've read in several places on these boards that Herculaneum is a more manageable tour than Pompeii....

I would recommend going to Pompeii. We've been to both and I agree that Herculaneum is easier to do because it is a much smaller site than Pompeii (I think it had about 1/4 of the population of Pompeii). However, we found Pompeii to be more interesting and were glad that we saw it on our first visit to that area.

While Herculaneum is better preserved, IMO it lacked the impressiveness of Pompeii's size and variety of buildings/development. We only had two hours at Pompeii and explored it with a guide who our private driver had arranged. More time there would be nice (as long as it's not too hot/sunny), but if all you can fit in is two hours, then it will still be well worth it.

Thank you all...I think we're probably goint to do Pompeii but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being dopey about it w/o thinking of other alternatives. We've contacted AP tours and like their set up (and they didn't list Herc. as an option combined with Amalfi, although I'm sure they do it), so we'll probably stick with tried-and-true (for the tour co.).

We recently returned from the Solstice. In Naples, I hired Rome In Limo, we visited Pompeii, drove along the Almafi Coast, shopped in Sorrento and had a delicious lunch in Positano. We had a private guide for Pompeii, which was well worth the cost. Not sure if Rome in Limo does Herculaneum, but you could ask. They were very accomodating. The beauty of a private tour is that it is YOUR tour and you decide what you want to do.

Lucy

After going to Pompeii 3 times, we went to Herculaneum on our last trip. There's no comparison. Herculaneum was small and a lot of the buildings were closed. In Pompeii, when some buildings are closed, there are hundreds of others to see. Also, Pompeii has 2 theaters, an amphitheater, the amazing Villa of the Mysteries, the forum, and much more. It's a huge site and even being there 3 times, we still haven't seen it all. Also, Herculaneum is a good walk from the train station through trash-ridden streets. There's nothing dangerous about the area, but it's sure ugly.

Can you tell us, Drink-in-Hand, did you hire a private driver? If so who. We have been to Pompeii and I would love to combine Herculaneum with a drive along the Amalfi coast and a wonderful lunch.

Gosh, I don't know... If I tell you my secret, then he'll be so popular he won't be available to squire me around next time I need him. ;)

We used Salvatore Lucibello with Drive Amalfi and he is divine. We were back on the ship with time to spare, which we lamented for the missed shopping opportunities. Until someone came on the ship and told us there was a big parade in town and some folks were going to miss the boat because of the traffic and closed streets. Salvatore didn't breathe one word of it, but he took care of us. I will definitely use him when (not IF) we return.

Enjoy your trip!

We have not been to Pompeii but visited Herculaneum on our first cruise. Absolutely wonderful and one of our major highlights. Very peaceful and uncrowded. One odd thing, why do ladies spend time wandering up and down the street looking in anceint shops that have been empty for millennium:confused: Hoping for a dear little pair of Roman sandals to squeak over I suppose!

We have been to both Pompeii and Herculaneum and we think Herculaneum is the better by far. Pompeii was large and rich and it's much harder to get a picture of life at that time. Herculaneum was a working port and the pyroclastic(sic) blast killed everyone but preserved the town spectacularly. The paint is on the walls, mosaics on the floors, the wood doorframes are petrified around the doorways. The modern town rises above it so excavation is slow. Present day houses have to be destroyed to uncover more of 79AD Herculaneum.

If you want Plazas and theatres and the brothel go to Pompeii. If you want to see the amazingly well preserved town go to Herculaneum. Of course eventually you will just have to see both so your choice is which one first.

Opinions will differ on this. In my opinion, Pompeii is the better choice as it is more of a complete site. You see the whole city (working class and upper class) , not just a part of a wealthy enclave, which Herculaneum is. You get a better idea of the extent of the destruction caused by Vesuvius. But you really need about 3 hours there (or even more) to see enough. If you are going to be rushing through because of other things you have planned, then maybe Herculaneum would work better for you.

Hey there Cruisemom,

Do check-in on our 5/15 sailing over the next few days. I will be posting some great shots.

Pinkie

I forgot to link to my pictures of Pompeii:

http://janell.smugmug.com/gallery/4379051_NJJSJ#257138391_3e9kx

Wow, Janell, wonderful wonderful photos!! May I ask -- What camera did you use? What time of day were you there (the colors are so rich)? Your collages are very artistic. Did you use a special program to create them? You are very talented.icon14.gificon14.gif I am quite envious! :)

Archived