Where do the locals eat/drink?

meanmom08

Does anyone know where the locals go for fresh seafood and where do they go for drinks? Aren't the bars on Duval St mostly frequented by tourists? I love finding out-of-the-way places where locals go. I'm not interested in over-priced drinks or nude roof-top bars. I know I'll have to go to Sloppy Joe's or Hogs Breath to get t-shirts for souveniers, but I'd rather linger off the beaten path.

Also, where is the best live music in the area? (I know, the tourist-y places, but which ones?) If there are good bands, will they be playing something besides Margaritaville and Cheeseburgers in Paradise? I can take only so much Jimmy Buffett at one time.:)

If you don't mind taking a taxi to Stock Island, (just across the bridge from Key West) you can't get any fresher than http://www.fishbusterz.com/shrimp-shack/

You literally sit at wooden picnic tables less than 15ft from the shrimp boats.

As for drinks, everyone has their favorite. I like to sit at the garden bar at www.lateda.com and people watch.

I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

Mike:)

Walk down Duval St to the intersection of Caroline St. (where the nude rooftop bar is ;)). Turn left. A few blocks down on the left is B.O.'s Fishwagon. It is a Sanford and Son looking shack of a restaurant. They have great seafood. Just past it on the right is an excellent lunch place called Pepe's.

The live entertainment is pretty cheesy in the daytime. If you were going to be here in the evening, I could help you a little better.

Does anyone know where the locals go for fresh seafood and where do they go for drinks? Aren't the bars on Duval St mostly frequented by tourists? I love finding out-of-the-way places where locals go. I'm not interested in over-priced drinks or nude roof-top bars. I know I'll have to go to Sloppy Joe's or Hogs Breath to get t-shirts for souveniers, but I'd rather linger off the beaten path.

Also, where is the best live music in the area? (I know, the tourist-y places, but which ones?) If there are good bands, will they be playing something besides Margaritaville and Cheeseburgers in Paradise? I can take only so much Jimmy Buffett at one time.:)

To be honest, the locals eat and drink at the same places tourists do...at the various happy hours to take advantage of reduced prices. Beyond that there are a coupla places you would not stumble upon yourself. For example, the Live Bait Lounge. ("If your wive is driving you to drink, have her drop you off here.")

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g34345-c107649/Key-West:Florida:Off.The.Beaten.Track.html

The best musicians are one place one night, another place another night. Possibilities are the Green Parrot, the top of the Rum Barrel, Hogs Breath, SWB, etc. You kind of have to just follow your ears.

Pjk

I'll be in KW for several days, and will have a car, so I'll keep all your "spots" in mind.

Well, in that case...

Check out the piano bar at 1114 Duval St. They have good evening live entertainment. Across the street is La Te Da. They make very good martinis.

Well, in that case...

Check out the piano bar at 1114 Duval St. They have good evening live entertainment. Across the street is La Te Da. They make very good martinis.

This is the new Keys (what else) Key West...

http://www.akeywestpianobar.com/

...which looks way too upscale for me. Have you heard that Damn Good Food to go is closing?

Pjk

The Keys has been open about 8 or 9 months in the old location of Alice's and is a great relaxing place for a late night drink.

I won't miss Damn Good Food To Go and have been surprised that they lasted this long.

If you like tapas, venture to Santiago's Bodega. It's off Duval and delicious! It was one of my favorite meals while I was there. On Duval I really liked both 915 and Bagatelle for dinner. Try Sarabeth's for a yummy brunch. Schooner Wharf Bar sometimes has pretty good music during the day, and to be honest my favorite live music of my trip was an AWESOME cover band at Sloppy Joe's. They only play at night, though.

If you like tapas, venture to Santiago's Bodega. It's off Duval and delicious! It was one of my favorite meals while I was there. On Duval I really liked both 915 and Bagatelle for dinner. Try Sarabeth's for a yummy brunch. Schooner Wharf Bar sometimes has pretty good music during the day, and to be honest my favorite live music of my trip was an AWESOME cover band at Sloppy Joe's. They only play at night, though.

For tapas and wine with a view, try the Dock Cafe at the Galleon Resort. It overlooks the harbor, and so far is a pretty well-kept secret. If you go to the end of Front Street and make a right, you are at the Bight near Alonzo's. If you make a left, it takes you to the Dock Cafe. This is also a good place to have breakfast. There are signs but you might not guess it's

there.

Pjk

Pjk

If you like tapas, venture to Santiago's Bodega. It's off Duval and delicious! It was one of my favorite meals while I was there. On Duval I really liked both 915 and Bagatelle for dinner.

No local will argue with those three.;)

I found the cruise staff will know the best local places in each port. Most of them get some time in a different port each week and like the rest of us want to make the most of their time. Last week our waiter told us where she goes in Belize for the best Orental food and where the best seafood is on Roatan. She is from Thailand so I would have taken her suggestions had I been looking for those places.

I also ask the locals when I port and have found some great little out of the way places over the past few years.

Be sure to stop at Key Lime N More. Great little shop, excellent prices, and if Robin is working and you ask her if she plans on locking you in, you will get a good laugh out of her! Tell her you met Amy on the boards...

I'll do that! I just extended my tirp for 2 more days, so I'll have time to check out the shops.

Can anyone tell me what the smoking policy is in key west restuarants? are there smoking sectiobs inside? Are you allowed to smoke in the outside deck/patio areas of restaurants? Thanks

By Florida law, smoking is strictly prohibited inside any restaurant. Smoking is only permitted if the table is outside. This, of course, applies to Key West.

We have eaten at 2 friends many times. Great Conch and oysters. If I remember right it was not too far from the Conch train.

Lexi

Walk off th4e docks onto Front Street and make a left. Two Friends is 2 and 1/2 blocks over...

http://www.twofriendskeywest.com/

There is a coupon for a free drink or Key Lime pie on their web page.

Pjk

IMO, 2 Friends is over-rated and over-priced. Locals like Camille's on Simonton, the Banana Cafe on Duval, Blue Heaven on Petronia and Sarabeth's on Simonton for breakfast, Azur, Cafe Sole & Salsa Loca (just moved to Cowboy Bill's from Duval at Truman) for lunch and Santiago's Bodega on Petronia, 915 on Duval, Alice's at La Te Da, and Antonia's or La Trattoria - both on Duval - for dinner. JMHO:)

We have eaten at 2 friends many times. Great Conch and oysters. If I remember right it was not too far from the Conch train.

Lexi

My brother and his wife are down for a few days and had lunch there today and they said it was horrible.

I had suggested they go to BO's for lunch but they said they were too tired to walk; but now wished they had.

We ate at B.O. Fishwagon on 6/17/09 and loved it. Don't judge a book by it's cover style. Fried fish at it's best. Customer services and taste make up for the lack of a building. Think trees and brush with some tin thrown around.

BO has increased his prices a little too much in my opinion.

My brother, his wife and daughter ate lunch there today: A grouper sandwich, soft shell crab sandwich and a chicken sandwich along with three sodas and the bill was $40. That is a little out of line even for Key West standards considering the decor or lack thereof.;)

I felt a little quilt after recommending it this morning when they left the house.

Archived