Something to do in Freeport?

JRock59

We went on the GBB in Freeport. We hated it. More than half of the people on the boat got sick. It was so rocky. Men and kids were throwing up over the side. I would not recommend this excursion. We did see sharks and the remains of a ship wreck.

What's the GBB?

Getting seasick because the water was rough that day has nothing to do with the quality of the excursion itself - any boat would have likely yielded the same results on that day. Sure is a bummer when that happens though, I've been there myself a few times. Luckily most of the time in Freeport, the water is smooth. Make sure to take something like Bonine 1 hour before boarding, it works well for me, and doesn't make me drowsy like Dramamine does.

What's the GBB?

Glass Bottom Boat... and having seen it from another boat it wallows in the water. I was with Capt. Tony in Jan. and would not have wanted to be on the GBB.... several times I thought it was going to flip - whoever was captain was not taking the waves well.

Ah. There are several Glass Bottom Boats in town, but if you mean the big huge double decker one that Reef Tours runs, it indeed does rock pretty good when it's rough out. If you're sensitive or if the water is pretty rough that day, stick to the bottom deck, and don't venture up to the top deck. It's amazing how much sway the top deck of that boat can get on a rough day without tipping over. A mechanical marvel.

Big, single-hull boats like that tend to be less stomach-friendly than the catamarans or smaller craft. I think it's the only big single-hull tour boat on the island - the rest of the larger boats are all catamarans I believe. But, you can't do a glass bottomed catamaran.

It's amazing how much sway the top deck of that boat can get on a rough day without tipping over. A mechanical marvel. Big, single-hull boats like that tend to be less stomach-friendly than the catamarans or smaller craft.

I was on a Coast Guard cutter in the early '80s doing a radio show about a regatta and it was a "tub"... the wind/waves were up a bit and even some of the "coasties" were having a hard time keeping down lunch... brings back memories.

Archived