Please Compare Grandeur to Explorer for Me

We are debating between 2 cruises next year for Thanksgiving. We are already looking at price, length, and sea days; however, we want to be able to discuss the ships too.

We have been on Voyager and Freedom class ships and loved them (especially the Promenade), but we don't know much about the Grandeur and aren't sure how much we'd like it. I know the Explorer is larger and has the Promenade, but I was wondering what some of the other differences are.

We just recently returned from a 9-night cruise on the Grandeur; last year our first cruise was a 5-night cruise on the Explorer. We loved both.

We stayed in Junior Suites both times; the big difference between the two was the lack of a walk-in closet on the Grandeur. However, closet and storage space were ample and the room size was exactly the same and just as comfortable (although I found the bed on the Explorer to be better, the sofa on the Grandeur was more comfortable to sit on). The Grandeur is a beautiful ship, but it is smaller, and feels more "ship-like" and less "floating-hotel-ish" than the Explorer. (However, it is still big -- just not as huge as the Voyage class ship!) The Grandeur doesn't have a Promenade; it has a smaller Centrum. There aren't as many pubs and there are no specialty restaurants such as Johnny Rockets or Portofino. Having tried Johnny Rockets (and having disliked the overly salty, greasy burgers there), I didn't miss it. It doesn't have a sit-down Caffe Lattitudes; there is a Ben and Jerry's/Caffe Lattitudes but it is a walk-up place. The rock-climbing-wall is smaller but just as much fun. There is no skating rink or huge "Sports Deck" as there is on the Explorer. The ShipShape Fitness Club and Spa are smaller and have less amenities, but I thought they were fine. The Windjammer Cafe is smaller and the choices are a little less extensive but I had no complaints. One of the highlights of the Grandeur is Captain Rob -- he has a terrific sense of humor, and has a wonderful personality. The Grandeur has some beautiful clubs and public rooms, including the library. We always had plenty to do -- there was so much to do, I wish we could have done it all.

We LOVED the Grandeur and would happily sail on her again. We also loved the Explorer and would sail on her again, too! It depends on what you want and what is most important to you.

one thing i would like to add to the wonderful previous post is that the windjammer is forward on the grandeur. on the explorer it is aft. i also have been on both ships and had a cabin near the aft elevators. i thought the explorer had a more convenient layout for that reason.

Yes, but Grandeur has inside and lovely outside seating for the Windjammer. We really enjoy sitting out on the pool deck for lunch, and dinner sometimes.

I guess it depends if you can sail without the Promenade or not. I didn't really care for the promenade on Mariner....it feels too much like a mall. We really prefer the Radiance and Vision ships on Royal Caribbean. :) And Grandeur is a very nice ship, depending on your interests and preferences.

Having sailed Grandeur 6 times including 14 nights on a b2b, Radiance, Mariner and Freedom once each. I think I can say that Grandeur is a great ship. You didn't say whether or not you're taking kids. Teens aren't going to like Grandeur too much most likely. If you're one that needs constant entertainment, then you're not going to like her too much.

What she doesn't have:

concierge lounge

Diamond lounge

Johnny Rockets

mini-golf

inline skating

basketball court

flowrider

ice skating

sorrentos

promenade

refrigerators in cabins below balcony (inside and OV)

What she does have:

after Sep 1st if memory serves, Diamond reception

Latte-tudes

Ben 'n Jerry's

centrum

solarium pool with covered top

solarium cafe

She's also got the best crew that we've met yet, she's a beautiful ship, love the dancing in the centrum before and after dinner every night. We've had great food, great cabins, and lots of fun.

We spent a lot of time in the Grandeur's solarium pool on our 13 day repo in 2006. On the nicer warm days, they would pull back the glass top and also open the side glass walls and presto . . . you have an almost outside pool with a bit of privacy. Just like on the Radiance class ships. Too bad the Voyager class ships did not follow thru with this design.

We would have a hard time choosing between Grandeur and Voyager class. Itin, departure port and price would make the difference.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks everyone. We aren't really the active couple that does things like the Flowrider and Rockclimbing wall, but we did love the Promenade...more importantly the cafe. It was wonderful to be able to go somewhere at 1am for a coffee and pastry and still see energy in the area. We were hoping there was something similar in Grandeur's centrum but it seems like Latte-tudes is not a comfy sit-down place.

I think we'll probably wait til a European cruise to do a Radiance class (they seem to have more attractive itineraries there than the Voyager class)

By the way, Grandeur does have seating near the Ben and Jerry's/Cafe Lattitudes in the Centrum, and there is always coffee, tea, hot cocoa, lemonade, etc, available in the beautiful outdoor seating areas just outside of the Windjammer. We spent many happy hours there, enjoying the coffee (and the self-serve frozen yogurt!), people-watching, and listening to music.

Archived