How much do you tip?

Grits53

How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?

• $5
    • $10
    • $20
    • $50
    • $100
    • Over $100

How would giving extra tip in any amount insult the crew members:confused:

Seriously I want to know.......:confused:

They are just happy if people don't remove the auto tip believe me.

You are right. I did not phrase that correctly.

What I should have said was I want the room steward to have an extra tip in an amount that says "Hey, you did a really great job and we really appreciate your effort" Unless I have a general idea of what others give him (not anyone specific person but a general idea) then I don't know how much conveys my appreciation.

An annonymous poll is a great way to "check myself" Now I know if I'm being fare, excessive or cheap.

And to StuartLittle: I understand that cc is a small percentage of the cruising public. It is however, imo, a good sample of cruise veterans and newbies alike. I value the opinions on this board regarding alot of different topics.

If someone truly wants to give an extra tip to their Room Steward or Wait Staff or anyone else they choose, then why not ask that person, " How much of an extra tip would you like"? That seems like the only way you could get the most accurate information about a truly correct and appropriate amount.

On a 7 day cruise with 2 in a cabin, we usually tip the cabin attendant $25 each, the waiter and assistant waiter $20 each and the maitre'd may get $20, depending on how useful he comes in. We also tip the people in the dining room at breakfast $2 each per day. Room service gets $3, and cocktail waiters get $1 per drink.

I don't mind going above these mentioned amounts if service is stellar. These people work extremely hard to make your vacation a memorable one, so they deserve a few extra bucks.

You are right. I did not phrase that correctly.

What I should have said was I want the room steward to have an extra tip in an amount that says "Hey, you did a really great job and we really appreciate your effort" Unless I have a general idea of what others give him (not anyone specific person but a general idea) then I don't know how much conveys my appreciation.

An annonymous poll is a great way to "check myself" Now I know if I'm being fare, excessive or cheap.

And to StuartLittle: I understand that cc is a small percentage of the cruising public. It is however, imo, a good sample of cruise veterans and newbies alike. I value the opinions on this board regarding alot of different topics.

Thanks for your posts. It does seem that you and I are on the same wave length! :D

And to a couple of other posters.... I'm a 55 yr. old female, not a "he". I've been posting on various internet forums long enough to know that there will always be "pot stirrers" and downright rude and disrespectful people on the internet. It doesn't matter what the nature of the particular internet forum is, there will always be a few resident posters who fall into this category. I accept that as part of "life on the net", and I don't let them bother me. Occasionally, the exchange is actually entertaining! :cool:

Sometimes, I have extra time to waste in attempting to reason with them, but I do understand that it is almost always a futile attempt on my part. I still love Cruise Critic and will continue to ask whatever questions I might have. There will always be people who give the honest and polite answers that I seek. And there will always be a few "others". I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over the "others"! LOL! I do hope the answers supplied to my questions will be beneficial to at least a few people like myself.

Thanks for your posts. It does seem that you and I are on the same wave length! :D

And to a couple of other posters.... I'm a 55 yr. old female, not a "he". I've been posting on various internet forums long enough to know that there will always be "pot stirrers" and downright rude and disrespectful people on the internet. It doesn't matter what the nature of the particular internet forum is, there will always be a few resident posters who fall into this category. I accept that as part of "life on the net", and I don't let them bother me. Occasionally, the exchange is actually entertaining! :cool:

Sometimes, I have extra time to waste in attempting to reason with them, but I do understand that it is almost always a futile attempt on my part. I still love Cruise Critic and will continue to ask whatever questions I might have. There will always be people who give the honest and polite answers that I seek. And there will always be a few "others". I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over the "others"! LOL! I do hope the answers supplied to my questions will be beneficial to at least a few people like myself.

Now that you have all this valuable information, how much ya gonna tip? :D

You've never been in a situation where you've been with a friend and whispered, "How much are you giving him?"

Like for a skycap, a porter, a car valet...never? Or maybe on an excursion where at the end they always say something to the effect of, "We love tips" and they pass out a jar...you've never looked around to see what others are tipping so that you don't end way under- or over-doing it?

I'll admit I certainly have...

Absolutely not. I do not care one whit what you or anyone else gives. I tip as I see fit. I threw that stupid precentage tipping thing out the window a long time ago.

There is no way I have a clue what or if I will tip any extra until I have received the service. If the tippee has a problem with what I tip, I will be only too happy to take it back least they be "insulted" by it.

Now that you have all this valuable information, how much ya gonna tip? :D

Well, I "voted" on the poll. You mean to tell me you can't tell how I and 149 others voted? Amazing! :eek: I put that personal information out there for all to see, and you can't see it? Who would'a thought it? :p

What I learned was that I was right in there with the majority of the tippers from Cruise Critic. Now, I don't have to wonder whether I'm "cheap" or "generous". I'm somewhere in between, which is right where I hoped to be. I am a happy cruiser! :D

What I learned was that I was right in there with the majority of the tippers from Cruise Critic. Now, I don't have to wonder whether I'm "cheap" or "generous". I'm somewhere in between, which is right where I hoped to be. I am a happy cruiser! :D

But what if the CC'ers who responded are actually cheap overall? What if they intentially skewed the results? Now you're in the middle of cheapness and will unknowingly be embarrassed. ;)

But what if the CC'ers who responded are actually cheap overall? What if they intentially skewed the results? Now you're in the middle of cheapness and will unknowingly be embarrassed. ;)

Better yet what if the majority wanted to pick -0- but since there was no category for that:confused:........and if they wanted to stay anonymous they couldn't post........so they didn't...

Somehow I don't think the majority of cc is 150 people lol....

But hey......whatever floats your boat:D

Well, I "voted" on the poll. You mean to tell me you can't tell how I and 149 others voted? Amazing! :eek: I put that personal information out there for all to see, and you can't see it? Who would'a thought it? :p

You consider 151 as the "majority of tippers from Cruise Critic"?

I bet if you HAD put zero, that is what the "majority" would have put, but I am just guessing just like you are.

I didn't participate in the survey, because there was no box for (other). We always give the automatic tips, and haven't had to remove for any individual in all our cruises. As for additional, this depends on the individual/personal service received, so we normally tip extra accordingly. Besides, it serves no purpose for me to tell anyone how much $$ I give to whom. JMHO

Better yet what if the majority wanted to pick -0- but since there was no category for that:confused:........and if they wanted to stay anonymous they couldn't post........so they didn't...

Somehow I don't think the majority of cc is 150 people lol....

But hey......whatever floats your boat:D

Like I said earlier, I chose greater than $100. And I lied. :eek: :D

You consider 151 as the "majority of tippers from Cruise Critic"?

I bet if you HAD put zero, that is what the "majority" would have put, but I am just guessing just like you are.

You're right. I should have said, "the majority of the CC'ers who voted in the poll." My bad. What would I do without the good folks like yourself who are there to correct me? Thank you so much for pointing that out. ;)

As for those who do not tip, and I know there are plenty who fall into that category, that's not really what I was looking for. I was looking for replies from those who do tip, and I am pleased with the response.....regardless of what percentage of the responders "lied". :rolleyes:

In all of my 50+ cruises, I have always paid at least the minimum amount suggested or automatically added by the cruise line, but if my cabin steward, waiter and asst. waiter do a good job, and they almost always do, then I definitely tip those three people an extra $20 each, even more if they do something really special for me. I also tip the person who delivers my room service each time they deliver anywhere from $2 to $10, depending on the volume of food they deliver and also if it is extremely late at night. And if I have a favorite bartender during the week, I will tip him in addition to the 15% added to the bill. Also, if the restaurant manager, maitre d' and/or assistant maitre d' does something special for me, then I will tip him extra also. I rarely tip the wine sommelier extra. On certain lines where the waiters in the lido buffet area really do assist you, I will also tip them at the end of the week. I also tip the spa masseuse 15-20%. I think this covers my tips. Can't afford to stay in suites so I never have butlers.

As for those who do not tip, and I know there are plenty who fall into that category, that's not really what I was looking for. I was looking for replies from those who do tip, and I am pleased with the response.....regardless of what percentage of the responders "lied". :rolleyes:

You mean the people that don't tip extra donchaw:confused:

shhh I did too:D

Let's see..... So far, 11 people have chosen $100+. I wonder what percentage of those 11 lied about this? I fully expected that to be a popular choice, not because many people actually tip over $100 per person, but because there would be that certain group who would get a kick out of choosing that amount. I'm sure these people would have voted just as quickly for $1000+. More than likely, most of those 11 people who chose $100+ would have been the ones who (had they been honest) would have chosen $0, if I had put it on the poll. No big deal. I'm glad you smiled at least once today....as you clicked that little dot to vote for $100+. Good for you! :D

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a few generous tippers among us, who have the financial means and desire to tip over $100 per person, and I think that is great! I wish I could do that! :cool:

You mean the people that don't tip extra donchaw:confused:

You know, I love Cruise Critic, but I do see one major flaw here...... I could really use a ROTFL smilie at this time..... :D

In all of my 50+ cruises, I have always paid at least the minimum amount suggested or automatically added by the cruise line, but if my cabin steward, waiter and asst. waiter do a good job, and they almost always do, then I definitely tip those three people an extra $20 each, even more if they do something really special for me. I also tip the person who delivers my room service each time they deliver anywhere from $2 to $10, depending on the volume of food they deliver and also if it is extremely late at night. And if I have a favorite bartender during the week, I will tip him in addition to the 15% added to the bill. Also, if the restaurant manager, maitre d' and/or assistant maitre d' does something special for me, then I will tip him extra also. I rarely tip the wine sommelier extra. On certain lines where the waiters in the lido buffet area really do assist you, I will also tip them at the end of the week. I also tip the spa masseuse 15-20%. I think this covers my tips. Can't afford to stay in suites so I never have butlers.

Thank you! I appreciate your info, especially since it comes from a very experienced cruiser. :)

Let's see..... So far, 11 people have chosen $100+. I wonder what percentage of those 11 lied about this? I fully expected that to be a popular choice, not because many people actually tip over $100 per person, but because there would be that certain group who would get a kick out of choosing that amount. I'm sure these people would have voted just as quickly for $1000+. More than likely, most of those 11 people who chose $100+ would have been the ones who (had they been honest) would have chosen $0, if I had put it on the poll. No big deal. I'm glad you smiled at least once today....as you clicked that little dot to vote for $100+. Good for you! :D

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a few generous tippers among us, who have the financial means and desire to tip over $100 per person, and I think that is great! I wish I could do that! :cool:

...and now we begin to see the OP's real agenda unfold.

The major flaw here is the level of immaturity of several posters......why don't you grow up or go to the playground and 'play'.......I really don't believe you.....you actually lied on a poll....WTH??? Do you have nothing more constructive to do with your time??

Archived