How much do you tip?

Grits53

How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?

• $5
    • $10
    • $20
    • $50
    • $100
    • Over $100

You thought this was a pretty simple question but there will always be people here that, instead of just skipping it if it bothers them, feel the need to make comments that are less than helpful just because they can. You need to just skip over those comments and gather your information from those who want to be truly helpful to you because there really are more of those, sometimes it just doesn't seem like it :)

Thank you! I'm amazed by the number of people who will take time to read through a thread only to leave a negative comment about something they disagree with that matters not a wit in the big scheme of things. Seriously, find something of real importance in the world and voice your opinion in a public forum. This is a thread about tipping on a cruise. If you don't like the discussion go read another thread!

Look at it this way. When my son became old enough to drive and go to dinner with his friends I explained tipping to him. I informed him what is considered a good tip, which is 20% in the area we live in. I also told him that if he received exceptional service a little more would be nice. Poor service, leave less. If I had not explained this to my son, he most likely would have left a tip because he has seen me do it, but he would not have known how much he should leave.

Great analogy! We have taught our sons to tip and appreciate good service.

Our tips vary based on the service. We have tipped up to $30 extra for our room attendant and as low as $10 extra for the bar staff who waited on us in the dining room for the week. It was through CC I heard about tipping at the beginning of the cruise along with several good suggestions that I will take with me on our next cruise. :)

Great analogy! We have taught our sons to tip and appreciate good service.

:)

My son spent his summers down the shore with a neighbor. His first job was as a dishwasher in a restaurant. He had a couple days off and came and wanted to treat his father and I to dinner. Took us to the Olive Garden. We had a very nice waitress. In fact he had put blonde highlights in his very dark hair and the DH and I were not so impressed with this new look. However the waitress made a fuss about how good it looked.

Comes time to pay the check which was $65. We said we would leave the tip. He insisted he was going to and put up $50. We tried to tell him that was entirely TOO much. I think we may have talked into somewhere around $35-40. His reasoning was "I'm in the business". I really thought it had to do with hair fuss. Although he no longer is "in the business". he still tips generously just not 70%

My son spent his summers down the shore with a neighbor. His first job was as a dishwasher in a restaurant. He had a couple days off and came and wanted to treat his father and I to dinner. Took us to the Olive Garden. We had a very nice waitress. In fact he had put blonde highlights in his very dark hair and the DH and I were not so impressed with this new look. However the waitress made a fuss about how good it looked.

Comes time to pay the check which was $65. We said we would leave the tip. He insisted he was going to and put up $50. We tried to tell him that was entirely TOO much. I think we may have talked into somewhere around $35-40. His reasoning was "I'm in the business". I really thought it had to do with hair fuss. Although he no longer is "in the business". he still tips generously just not 70%

Great story!

Pretty sure this had nothing to do with "The Service" unless it was 20% Tip for Meal Service and 50% Tip for Servicing the Ego?

That is exactly right...it is about "You" and trying to compare yourself to if you are average, low or above other people.

Next time don't participate, you have provided zero value to this post. I find this poll valuable and a good guideline. So enough already, you made your point. Geezus!

Gosh. :o I'm so glad I have fans like you, who cannot tear themselves away from my thread! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :) I wish I could stay here and play, but my 12 horses are calling me. Alas, I must go to the barn, where the manure isn't quite as deep as it is here. It's been entertaining! Bye now! :cool:

LMAO!!!! I like your wit. I'm afraid the bashers are not in the same league.

LOL! Perhaps you need to read more tipping threads:p:D I'm glad you have it all figured out......but I really don't think being new to cruising and confused about what they read on here makes someone less of an ADULT:rolleyes:

You are definitely confused, no doubt about that.;)

Archived