How much do you tip?

Grits53

How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. How much cash tip do you give each person (waiters/cabin stewards) on a 7 day cruise?

• $5
    • $10
    • $20
    • $50
    • $100
    • Over $100

Well since you left out -0- and you said to go and post if that is what your answer is.........how would that be considered anonymous:confused::confused:

LMAO!!!

If you WANTED to, that was the only way to do it, because I could not go back and change the poll to include $0. I made a mistake and tried to correct it but couldn't. I tried.

It is sad that some of you people get your kicks out of turning a simple poll into an act of violating your privacy. Ridiculous. If I had wanted each individual's personal info, I would have created the poll to include how each person "voted" (that is an option). You don't bother me, so go get your kicks on someone else's thread. I have the figures I was looking for, with or without your sarcastic input. ;)

I think it's obvious the OP has another agenda here. JMHO

How did you guess? What I REALLY wanted to know was where you live, where you work, what is your annual income, your marital status, how many times you have cheated on your wife, your arrest record, and so on. (And now I am being sarcastic!) Get a life! :p

If you WANTED to, that was the only way to do it, because I could not go back and change the poll to include $0. I made a mistake and tried to correct it but couldn't. I tried.

It is sad that some of you people get your kicks out of turning a simple poll into an act of violating your privacy. Ridiculous. If I had wanted each individual's personal info, I would have created the poll to include how each person "voted" (that is an option). You don't bother me, so go get your kicks on someone else's thread. I have the figures I was looking for, with or without your sarcastic input. ;)

Hey it was just a honest question........how many people did not vote because -0- was not listed.....because they wanted to stay anonymous? Good luck!

I fail to see how any of the info you requested will be useful. Not only can people lie, it really should have no bearing on how you tip. That should be between you and the person(s) receiving the tip.

But to answer your question, I usually just leave the auto tips. The bartenders/bar waiters typically get any extra from me since they are usually the ones working the hardest for me. :eek::D

How did you guess? What I REALLY wanted to know was where you live, where you work, what is your annual income, your marital status, how many times you have cheated on your wife, your arrest record, and so on. (And now I am being sarcastic!) Get a life! :p

Gosh, all you had to do was ask. I wouldn't have given that info to you either. BTW, do you work for the US Census Bureau? ;)

Boy, this is really getting nutty. Invasion of privacy? Hidden agendas? C'mon. It was a simple question to see where he falls into the fray. If he's tipping $4 extra somewhere, and the majority of the people who answer tip $25, then he's going to think, "Boy I'm probably being a little cheap," and raise his rate. And vice-versa.

It's simply about wanting to approximate what everyone else is doing. Most of the people who responded obviously don't have a problem. Nor do most people on the DOZENS of other threads asking about tipping. I've never seen a message board so filled with the phrase, "I ALWAYS tip extra." Everyone seems to love to announce they tip extra.

No matter what anyone above says, these boards are ANONYMOUS. If I walked up to you right now, you'd know who I was? I can type, "I throw $100 bills around every time I see a crew member because I'm sure their family is starving back home and obviously the cruise lines feel its my responsibility to keep these starving 3-year-olds fed." You can choose to believe that or not...

cRaZy!

Boy, this is really getting nutty. Invasion of privacy? Hidden agendas? C'mon. It was a simple question to see where he falls into the fray. If he's tipping $4 extra somewhere, and the majority of the people who answer tip $25, then he's going to think, "Boy I'm probably being a little cheap," and raise his rate. And vice-versa.

It's simply about wanting to approximate what everyone else is doing. Most of the people who responded obviously don't have a problem. Nor do most people on the DOZENS of other threads asking about tipping. I've never seen a message board so filled with the phrase, "I ALWAYS tip extra." Everyone seems to love to announce they tip extra.

No matter what anyone above says, these boards are ANONYMOUS. If I walked up to you right now, you'd know who I was? I can type, "I throw $100 bills around every time I see a crew member because I'm sure their family is starving back home and obviously the cruise lines feel its my responsibility to keep these starving 3-year-olds fed." You can choose to believe that or not...

cRaZy!

Actually I believe what some are trying to say is that a poll like this is not in any way shape or form accurate.......in other words it will not show where he falls into fray;) And to adjust your tipping according to what others say they might tip......is really kind of weird if you ask me.......

Actually I believe what some are trying to say is that a poll like this is not in any way shape or form accurate.......in other words it will not show where he falls into fray;) And to adjust your tipping according to what others say they might tip......is really kind of weird if you ask me.......

You've never been in a situation where you've been with a friend and whispered, "How much are you giving him?"

Like for a skycap, a porter, a car valet...never? Or maybe on an excursion where at the end they always say something to the effect of, "We love tips" and they pass out a jar...you've never looked around to see what others are tipping so that you don't end way under- or over-doing it?

I'll admit I certainly have...

cRaZy!

I was thinking the exact same thing. When people start referring to "hidden agendas" on a simple tipping question they really have their panties in a bunch.

I was thinking the exact same thing. When people start referring to "hidden agendas" on a simple tipping question they really have their panties in a bunch.

I cannot even IMAGINE what kind of hidden agenda could be here. I'd love to know. Obviously my mind doesn't think in conspiratorial ways...

:confused:

You thought this was a pretty simple question but there will always be people here that, instead of just skipping it if it bothers them, feel the need to make comments that are less than helpful just because they can. You need to just skip over those comments and gather your information from those who want to be truly helpful to you because there really are more of those, sometimes it just doesn't seem like it :)

Excellent post . . . hits the nail squarely on the head. :)

Some just want to be arguementative and will take either side of a discussion. A sure sign that one is out of debate ammunition, "Oh, never mind you wouldn't understand." :rolleyes:

You've never been in a situation where you've been with a friend and whispered, "How much are you giving him?"

Like for a skycap, a porter, a car valet...never? Or maybe on an excursion where at the end they always say something to the effect of, "We love tips" and they pass out a jar...you've never looked around to see what others are tipping so that you don't end way under- or over-doing it?

I'll admit I certainly have...

If someone asked me how much they should tip for such things as you mentioned I would suggest that they tip whatever amount they feel comfortable with.....

And no I don't look around to see what others are tipping.....I think tipping is personal.

This is why they have the suggested amounts of $10/day and also the added 15% to the drinks.......that way they don't have to worry about being embarrased if they are not experienced tippers.......

This is why they have the suggested amounts of $10/day and also the added 15% to the drinks.......that way they don't have to worry about being embarrased if they are not experienced tippers.......

But...omg, aren't you saying exactly what I've been saying, and exactly what the OP was going for with this post?

They have suggested amounts for inexperienced tippers who don't want to be embarrassed.

What about the above-and-beyond tips that HAVE no guidelines? Why not ask for suggestions on those as well so again, the OP isn't embarrassed??

Excellent post . . . hits the nail squarely on the head. :)

Some just want to be arguementative and will take either side of a discussion. A sure sign that one is out of debate ammunition, "Oh, never mind you wouldn't understand." :rolleyes:

Stirring the Pot Gary? ;)

But...omg, aren't you saying exactly what I've been saying, and exactly what the OP was going for with this post?

They have suggested amounts for inexperienced tippers who don't want to be embarrassed.

What about the above-and-beyond tips that HAVE no guidelines? Why not ask for suggestions on those as well so again, the OP isn't embarrassed??

I answered this already....nobody can put the same dollar figure on tips........it is your expereince........

If someone asked me how much they should tip for such things as you mentioned I would suggest that they tip whatever amount they feel comfortable with.....

And no I don't look around to see what others are tipping.....I think tipping is personal.

Why would the OP be embarrassed, especially if they just left the auto tips as is? :confused:

Regardless of what anyone says they do here, there is no guarantee it is factual. For example, I checked off >100 in the poll.

The OP should simply tip what they feel comfortable and leave it at that.

Above and beyond tips are not expected......why would anyone be embarrased for tipping any amount above and beyond:confused: That's just plain silly.....

I answered this already....nobody can put the same dollar figure on tips........it is your expereince........

5o'clock (and I love and completely agree with your name), we're just gonna go in circles here so we may as well stop. On the one hand you say people should tip whatever they're comfortable with, but on the other hand you say cruise lines offer suggestions for those same people who have no idea how much to tip and therefore need suggestions.

I'm not sure how that matters whether it's a tip for the cabin steward or an additional tip in a specialty restaurant.

So you don't have to bang your head against a wall trying to get me to see your point and so I don' have to bang my head against a wall to try to get you to see that what I think you're saying is contradictory, let's just end it and say HAPPY CRUISING and HAPPY TIPPING!

:)

I for one very much appreciate this poll. I completely understand what you were and were not trying to accomplish with the question. I have wondered if the extra amount of cash we have given was a decent tip and from your poll results it appears that I'm pretty average. Maybe a little high on room steward but I won't change that unless I get sub-par treatment.

It has been repeated over and over on cc threads that people leave extra cash on top of pre-paid tips to award good service. If I had not read cc before my first cruise I honestly would have never thought about doing this. Because of cc I knew that it was customary. At the end of my cruise after experiencing how hard the waiters and room steward worked, I understood why. Still didn't know how much to give them though.

You, or at least I want to be generous and show my appreciation but how is someone without experience cruising going to know how much is generous and appreciative to a room steward????

Look at it this way. When my son became old enough to drive and go to dinner with his friends I explained tipping to him. I informed him what is considered a good tip, which is 20% in the area we live in. I also told him that if he received exceptional service a little more would be nice. Poor service, leave less. If I had not explained this to my son, he most likely would have left a tip because he has seen me do it, but he would not have known how much he should leave.

Same thing here. I want to tip extra to my room steward and I have in the past blindly hoping that the amount I gave him was enough to show my appreciation and not an insult.

I'm sure some posters still won't get this.........I think it's the "everyone's out to get me mentality....LOL :p Hmmm, bet I get flamed for that one:D

5o'clock (and I love and completely agree with your name), we're just gonna go in circles here so we may as well stop. On the one hand you say people should tip whatever they're comfortable with, but on the other hand you say cruise lines offer suggestions for those same people who have no idea how much to tip and therefore need suggestions.

I'm not sure how that matters whether it's a tip for the cabin steward or an additional tip in a specialty restaurant.

So you don't have to bang your head against a wall trying to get me to see your point and so I don' have to bang my head against a wall to try to get you to see that what I think you're saying is contradictory, let's just end it and say HAPPY CRUISING and HAPPY TIPPING!

:)

Maybe you misunderstood......I was suggesting if people wanted to tip above and beyond.....to tip whatever they felt comfortable.......

Sorry for the confusion.......

I fail to see how any of the info you requested will be useful. Not only can people lie, it really should have no bearing on how you tip. That should be between you and the person(s) receiving the tip.

Sorry, they are my feelings as well.

If I had not read cc before my first cruise I honestly would have never thought about doing this. Because of cc I knew that it was customary.

I don't know that it's customary simply because CC's member say they tip extra. As a percentage of the crusing public, CC is a small piece of the pie.

I for one very much appreciate this poll. I completely understand what you were and were not trying to accomplish with the question. I have wondered if the extra amount of cash we have given was a decent tip and from your poll results it appears that I'm pretty average. Maybe a little high on room steward but I won't change that unless I get sub-par treatment.

It has been repeated over and over on cc threads that people leave extra cash on top of pre-paid tips to award good service. If I had not read cc before my first cruise I honestly would have never thought about doing this. Because of cc I knew that it was customary. At the end of my cruise after experiencing how hard the waiters and room steward worked, I understood why. Still didn't know how much to give them though.

You, or at least I want to be generous and show my appreciation but how is someone without experience cruising going to know how much is generous and appreciative to a room steward????

Look at it this way. When my son became old enough to drive and go to dinner with his friends I explained tipping to him. I informed him what is considered a good tip, which is 20% in the area we live in. I also told him that if he received exceptional service a little more would be nice. Poor service, leave less. If I had not explained this to my son, he most likely would have left a tip because he has seen me do it, but he would not have known how much he should leave.

Same thing here. I want to tip extra to my room steward and I have in the past blindly hoping that the amount I gave him was enough to show my appreciation and not an insult.

I'm sure some posters still won't get this.........I think it's the "everyone's out to get me mentality....LOL :p Hmmm, bet I get flamed for that one:D

How would giving extra tip in any amount insult the crew members:confused:

Seriously I want to know.......:confused:

They are just happy if people don't remove the auto tip believe me.

I don't understand how leaving a Tip over and above what is normally expected could be considered an Insult.

Archived