Head Scarf for ladies in St. Petersburg churches??

I just read on our roll call forum the following:

"Ladies, remember to pack a head scarf to visit Orthodox Churches in SPB."

huh?? Is this serious? Do I need to pack/wear a scarf??? My tour guide didn't mention this to me! which churches is this for?

thanks to anyone who has some info on this it's appreicated!

Yes, you will need to wear a headscarf to go into the "working" churches. Savoir on the Blood and St. Isaacs rarely have services nor does Peter & Paul. Kazansky Cathedral and most of the other small ones do and a scarf to cover your head will be required.

Yes, you will need to wear a headscarf to go into the "working" churches. Savoir on the Blood and St. Isaacs rarely have services nor does Peter & Paul. Kazansky Cathedral and most of the other small ones do and a scarf to cover your head will be required.

Our experience was that even when a service is in progress and the local women have their heads covered, the tourists can watch from behind without head covers. Don't take flash photos, of course. To be honest with you, I don't remember in which church that was.

Our experience was that even when a service is in progress and the local women have their heads covered, the tourists can watch from behind without head covers. Don't take flash photos, of course. To be honest with you, I don't remember in which church that was.

In my experience, having lived there, that's no guarantee they will let you in without one and even if they do you will be seen as being disrespectful for insisting on not doing so. It is a small gesture, after all, when you want to experience their culture.

You could always take a silk like neck scarf & when going to churches use it to cover your head then use it to dress up your outfit for dinner.

They do not take up much space in your purse when touring.

It certainly can't hurt to take a scarf - but the only times I've ever had to cover my head, the facility always supplied a box full of scarves - which you just grabbed one and put on.

Archived