Connection Between Dress and Food

There has been a lot of talk about the food quality slipping.There has also been talk of Dinner dress slipping.Does Royal believe they can get by with serving lower quality food due to the lower standards being set by RCCL todays cruiser?

That is a very interesting theory.

My office is on Key West harbor, so I see all the ships that frequent here. Most of them are short cruises.

The majority of "muffin tops," wifebeaters, gold teeth, drooping shorts, etc seem to debark the Carnival Destiny and the Imagination. Yet, everyone keeps saying Carnival's food is soooo much better.

So from my observations, I guess your theory is blown to heck.

Disagree, food quality has been dropping recently.Compliance to the Suggested examples in the dress code has been slipping also,maybe more so
Gas prices and the sea levels are rising too. However, I doubt that any of the four ...

1) Dress codes

2) Food quality

3) Gas prices

4) Sea levels

... have anything to do with any of the the other three.

Gas prices and the sea levels are rising too. However, I doubt that any of the four ...

1) Dress codes

2) Food quality

3) Gas prices

4) Sea levels

... have anything to do with any of the the other three.

Actually compared to last year gas prices have dropped,along with dress code compliance on RCCL and food Quality on RCCL.

There has been a lot of talk about the food quality slipping.There has also been talk of Dinner dress slipping.Does Royal believe they can get by with serving lower quality food due to the lower standards being set by RCCL todays cruiser?

We don’t do formal night any more and love that we can wear casual clothes but I am very sure the decline in food quality has nothing to do with what we wear.

Let’s look at the whole picture;

When we took our first cruise on RCCL in 1990......... We dressed for dinner every night (resort casual was not an option). The Windjammer was open for breakfast and lunch but never for dinner. Open seating was unheard of and your table assignment in the MDR was for all meals, not just dinner. There was a midnight buffet, every night!

We paid more in 1990 for that 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise in an OV on the Sovereign (including same day air) than we paid for a 12 day TA in a JS (including air) in 2008 and a 7 Western Caribbean in a balcony cabin (D1) in 2007 (also including air).

Obviously, something had to give and RCCL chose to cut their food budget…………… And even with that, we still eat well and the cruise cost remains very reasonable.

In comparison……….. We've traveled to Aruba annually since 1991 and prices have increased consistently every year. We stay in the same place and dine in many of the same restaurants but we’re now paying almost twice what we paid on that first trip.

Believe me…………….. its not the clothes!

But they are clearly related.I agree with Gas Prices decreasing in the last year as being unrelated
You are entitled to your opinion, but until I see the cooks in the restaurants taking notes on who is the best dressed, I don't but the relationship between the clothing and the quality of the food.

Some of the most expensive luxury cruise lines have a dress code that requires nothing more than country club casual - no tuxes, no gowns - jacket and tie is fine. And they have some of the best food going; you can dine with whom you choose and when you choose. I see absolutely no correlation between declining food quality on mass market ships and a dumbing down of the dress code. All you have to do is look around today's office workers - jackets and ties are rapidly becoming clothes for weddings and funerals. There are many more buying their clothes for all occasions at Kohl or Target or JCPenny than at Nordstom or Saks JMO:)

The only people to look at in any cruise line's brochures or ads are those far in the background. Those are the REAL passengers. Everyone seen front and center in the glossy photos is a model -- I know this for a fact.

I think the ads have much to do with it. The people in the ads are dressed casually. So, gee, must be fine to dress casually on that line.

I do not recall seeing in those ads any dining. I would be interested if anyone else has spotted a dining scene and if so, what are the people wearing! Because once upon a time, someone told me, look at how the people in the brochures are dressed - that will tell you if you fit in there.

The only people to look at in any cruise line's brochures or ads are those far in the background. Those are the REAL passengers. Everyone seen front and center in the glossy photos is a model -- I know this for a fact.

So were you the model.....or the real passenger:confused::D

That is a very interesting theory.

My office is on Key West harbor, so I see all the ships that frequent here. Most of them are short cruises.

The majority of "muffin tops," wifebeaters, gold teeth, drooping shorts, etc seem to debark the Carnival Destiny and the Imagination. Yet, everyone keeps saying Carnival's food is soooo much better.

So from my observations, I guess your theory is blown to heck.

I have heard that Carnival's food is much better too, while the stereotype of their passengers is even less "formal" than that of us ruffians who seem to cruise RCI these days. Interesting...

I was gonna get involved in this nutty "tastes great/less filling" "I'm right/no I'M right" thread despite the fact that no one here works for the CFO of RCI, but thought better of it.

Then I thought, "What the hell. I know as little as everyone else and like everyone else, will think MY opinion is correct, of course." :)

To think the cruise lines would say, "Hey why don't we stop 'giving away' high quality steak in the MDR, and instead charge $14.95" is because someone wants to wear a polo shirt instead of a tie, is kinda silly, IN MY CORRECT OPINION.

"Hey, the majority of women are wearing sun dresses tonight instead of cocktail dresses. Time to save a LOT of money and switch from the 12-15 count shrimp to the 20-30 count!"

It's money, people. Or, as the famous adage goes, "It's the economy, stupid."

Don't forget the old story of American Airlines saving a BOAT LOAD (a plane load? No! a SHIP LOAD, lol) of money in the 70s for...what was it, taking one olive out of everyone's salad? It was a cRaZy amount of money. They didn't cut out olives because people started dressing like slobs on planes (which they did and still do!).

::whew::

Some folks just want to turn back the clock. As has been said before on these boards, it is 2009, not 1909.

We could turn back the clock, and yes everyone would be dressed to the nines, but how many of us would be able to afford what a cruise cost back then (factoring in inflation)?

RCI has dumbed down their food not just because of the slobs on board their ships but because they figured out that the masses would actually pay for better food in specialty restaurants.

If the food was just as good in the MDR why would people bother to fork over extra $$$ to eat at Chops?

If you accept the fact that those who can afford it are eating better food they probably figured that there would be no issue with roping off an area for suite guests at the pool or limiting perks for lowly Diamond members.

RCI could save themselves alot of money and just put picnic tables in the MDR and serve bar b q. they could get a cover charge for plastic cups and set up a few kegs so diners can get their own beer.

Those that still dress for dinner can pay extra to eat in an upscale restaurant.

Everyone would be happy.:)

RCI has dumbed down their food not just because of the slobs on board their ships but because they figured out that the masses would actually pay for better food in specialty restaurants.

If the food was just as good in the MDR why would people bother to fork over extra $$$ to eat at Chops?

If you accept the fact that those who can afford it are eating better food they probably figured that there would be no issue with roping off an area for suite guests at the pool or limiting perks for lowly Diamond members.

RCI could save themselves alot of money and just put picnic tables in the MDR and serve bar b q. they could get a cover charge for plastic cups and set up a few kegs so diners can get their own beer.

Those that still dress for dinner can pay extra to eat in an upscale restaurant.

Everyone would be happy.:)

Actually, the reason we're willing to pay for the specialty restaurants is because of the quiet, more intimate atmosphere. The food (and excellent service) is an added bonus but not the primary reason we choose to dine in Chops and/or Portofino. Perhaps you haven’t noticed the [huge] difference between dining with 1000+ people and dining with 100?

My guess is you're ready to change cruise lines! Enjoy yourself on whatever line you choose.......................

I have heard that Carnival's food is much better too, while the stereotype of their passengers is even less "formal" than that of us ruffians who seem to cruise RCI these days. Interesting...

That was in port.The main dining room is a different story.The Carnival crowd switching to their Sunday Best while the RCCL comes as they are.They (RCCL Cruiser) have its 2009 not 1909 why bath and change clothes mentality

Actually, the reason we're willing to pay for the specialty restaurants is because of the quiet, more intimate atmosphere. The food (and excellent service) is an added bonus but not the primary reason we choose to dine in Chops and/or Portofino. Perhaps you haven’t noticed the [huge] difference between dining with 1000+ people and dining with 100?

My guess is you're ready to change cruise lines! Enjoy yourself on whatever line you choose.......................

Plus Chops and Portifinos do not serve Fried Chicken and cheap grades of fish for dinner entrees

Archived