Camp Carnvial, age limits, and a child's capabilities

MamaParrotHead

I have a friend who's just signed on for our "Friends & Family" cruise. She has a DD who is 14-15, but is slower and maturity and ability-wise, closer to my DD's level (who will be 10). I just can't (and neither can her mom) see her having a good time and/or functioning at the level of the peers in the "Club O2/Circle C". Do they take that into account at all, and maybe let her drop down to the level below?

Her main concern is that the kids Megan has gone to school with know her and they're lucky enough they don't tease or take advantage of her, an they're mostly busy doing school work and don't have the amount of free time kids would on the ship. In a Club O2 setting, where she can check herself in and out, it kind of "ups the stakes" in the situation. Does that make any sense?

Sorry, I changed my previous post to something completely different and you replied to what I had posted originally. I changed it because I didn't realize that her mom was uncomfortable too. If the counselors are worth anything, they won't allow bullying or teasing. I don't have any good advice, except maybe to make sure she has a walkie talkie. You can ask Camp Carnival to move her to the 9-11 age group, but as a teacher, if I were Camp Carnival, I wouldn't move her.

I'm just curious as to how involved counsellors even ARE in that age group. The way the Carnival.com site makes it sounds, it's just like a big rec room where kids can hang out in, with a few activities now and then.

And I wasn't suggesting that she drop down to the 10 year olds, just down to the next age group, which would be the 12-14 year olds, I think (I'm pretty sure she'll be 15 by the time we sail).

I have never sailed on Carnival. But, on HAL, they do allow children to move down into a lower age group with no problem. They just aren't allowed to move up.

Her mom should discuss her concerns with the counselors the first day.

There was a boy on our last cruise that had some mental challenges. RCI accommodated him by putting him down to his mental age. I believe if you're vocal in your needs they will be met.

Archived