Hot Air Balloon Rides on Oasis?

can't believe RCCL hasn't put in a roller-coaster yet-like they have at the top of the Las Vegas Hotel. I kinda think this was half publicity stunt-and it apparently worked. Its an internet world-need catch headlines to get readers attention for :30 seconds. It catches attention and then you read about the ship.

I have seen these is action and they really offer a spectacular view. It's similar to going to the top of the Space Needle or the Empire State Building for a unique view of the area. And a view of the Caribbean waters and whatever port you are in would be something to see. Actually I feel riding the zip line over the cavernous Central Park is far more terrifying than gently raising up on a multiply tethered hot air balloon. My guess is they would deflate it after use as storage would be impossible when its filled with helium.

I was in a hot air balloon ride once that I was not impressed with. However can you imagine the view you would get from say St Thomas or St Martins. I would think you could see several different islands.

The view I think would be incredible.

I just think that is the most absolute stupid thing I have ever seen on a cruise ship!

Im going to have to agree! I think this whole blimp aerostat thing take away from the ship... Here you have this amazing new ship and hanging off the back of it is this stupid looking blimp. We want to picture beaches and palm trees when on a cruise ship not a war...:D LOL (INMO)

baragecardington.jpg

jb_wwii_dday_3_e.jpg

Im going to have to agree! I think this whole blimp aerostat thing take away from the ship... Here you have this amazing new ship and hanging off the back of it is this stupid looking blimp. We want to picture beaches and palm trees when on a cruise ship not a war...:D LOL (INMO)

baragecardington.jpg

jb_wwii_dday_3_e.jpg

I guess it's all on how you view the uses of a blimp.

http://www.collegefootballblog.org/photos/20060909/stadium-blimp.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1349/677267640_f6498f7b6f.jpg?v=0

I agree with those that think this idea is stupid. No cruise ship needs to offer rides on an aerostat. I can't imagine how often it will be "closed" due to high winds. I've been on several cruises where the rock wall wasn't open due to winds and the aerostat will be much more sensitive to weather conditions than the rock wall.

You would think they would add the aerostat to the enhancements on Labadee.. It would seem much easier to have this a land based option than trying to offer it at sea.

I also wonder how many times the Aqua Shows will be cancelled due to windy conditions. I can't see how they will allow high divers to jump off the platforms in windy conditions and it looks like having the aft end exposed like that would not make it an optimum venue for high divers at sea...

I agree with those that think this idea is stupid. No cruise ship needs to offer rides on an aerostat. I can't imagine how often it will be "closed" due to high winds. I've been on several cruises where the rock wall wasn't open due to winds and the aerostat will be much more sensitive to weather conditions than the rock wall.

You would think they would add the aerostat to the enhancements on Labadee.. It would seem much easier to have this a land based option than trying to offer it at sea.

I also wonder how many times the Aqua Shows will be cancelled due to windy conditions. I can't see how they will allow high divers to jump off the platforms in windy conditions and it looks like having the aft end exposed like that would not make it an optimum venue for high divers at sea...

I thought of those high wind issues also.

Oasis of the Seas Begins Sea Trials news_oots_sea_trials_1.jpgRoyal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas, which will be the largest cruise ship in the world when she enters service later this year, is currently undergoing sea trials in the waters near the STX Europe shipyard in Finland where she is being built. During the sea trials, which are scheduled to last for four days, all onboard systems will tested in a fully operating environment.

The goal of the sea trials is to test those aspects of the ship that cannot be tested while the ship is stationary. Specific tests during the sea trials include tests measuring speed - both forward and reverse, test measuring noise throughout the ship while at varying speeds, tests measuring vibration and tests to measure maneuverability.

This is the first of at least two sets of sea trials that will be conducted over the next several months. The exact number of sea trials could vary depending on the results of the tests taken during each trial. Specific technical requirements are defined in the contract between the cruise line and the shipyard and the sea trials are used to ensure that all of the requirements have been met prior to final handover from the shipyard.

news_oots_sea_trials_2.jpgIn the photos of the sea trials released by STX, a white blimp with a basket for passengers can be seen tethered to the upper decks of Oasis of the Seas and floating behind the ship at varying distances. These photos have led to speculation that the blimp will be yet another innovation in onboard entertainment but given the technical challenges associated with such an endeavor, especially when the ship is moving at cruising speed, this is unlikely.

Royal Caribbean CEO, Richard Fain took the time to address this issue in his blog where he posted the following: "Secondly, I will comment on one experiment we are performing which has already been the subject of some rumors. This idea is to put an aerostat (blimp) onboard tethered to the ship. The idea is interesting, but it has such a cornucopia of practical issues that I give it less than a 50% chance of being used on Oasis. If we don’t use it on the ship, I will consider it just another of the many ideas our people develop that didn’t work. On the other hand, if it is successful and we do decide to use it on the ship, I will consider it another of my better ideas. Remember, this is just one of many experiments we undertake and, unless we actually decide to go forward with it, one that you will never hear about again." Oasis of the Seas is scheduled to enter service in December 2009. She will span 16 decks, encompass 220,000 gross registered tons (GRT), carry 5,400 guests at double occupancy, and feature 2,700 staterooms. She will be the first ship to tout the cruise line's new neighborhood concept of seven distinct themed areas, which include Central Park, Boardwalk, the Royal Promenade, the Pool and Sports Zone, Vitality at Sea Spa and Fitness Center, Entertainment Place and Youth Zone. The ship will sail from her home port of Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

I think this balloon thing looks interesting but I could just imagine the line to get on. I wonder if this would be included as an "activity" onboard the ship, or if it would be extra? It would be a nice view as we are pulling in or out of the port.

I think this balloon thing looks interesting but I could just imagine the line to get on. I wonder if this would be included as an "activity" onboard the ship, or if it would be extra? It would be a nice view as we are pulling in or out of the port.

Somehow it it ever come about I estimate the price somewhere about $100 per ride & can't imagine much of a line.

If you look at the aft pictures from the Sea trial there is a sheet hanging over the gap between the two towers. It's not in any of the pictures and doesn't appear to be positioned to stay there. I would guess that is for them to watch and see what kind of wind currents hit the area where the divers will be jumping.

Archived