Hot Air Balloon Rides on Oasis?

So, according to a project manager from STX Europe, the Oasis will feature a hot air balloon-style ride in which Oasis passengers can float skyward in a gondola or basket. This is really something different. Looking at photos of OOS, the stern of the ship really looks strange. But not as strange as the NCL Epic...UGGH! That may be ugliest ship from the outside I have ever seen.

Just remember that the Oasis is trying MANY different things during her first 'sea trial'. The 'blimp' (among other things) may be axed, and you may never see it on the final version of Oasis. They're testing a "What if..." scenario to see if it would even be plausible once they begin sailing with passengers.

- Ryan

So, according to a project manager from STX Europe, the Oasis will feature a hot air balloon-style ride in which Oasis passengers can float skyward in a gondola or basket. This is really something different. Looking at photos of OOS, the stern of the ship really looks strange. But not as strange as the NCL Epic...UGGH! That may be ugliest ship from the outside I have ever seen.
The EPIC really is UGLY!!! Oasis's stern is intriguing.

964022366_OasisSeaTrial3.jpg.6216d3dec16b5ffd493bc95eeea18f32.jpg

not sure how well this would work out...think about the lines...do you think you would have to reserve a time?

I just think that is the most absolute stupid thing I have ever seen on a cruise ship!

Babies12 you beat me to it. I thought it looked utterly ridiculous!

I understand they are trying different things as they finish the ship, but enough is enough. It will soon become a floating joke.

but at least it doesn't muck up the view of the outside. Kind of looks like an airborne dinghy. :eek:

Maybe this isn't really a ride but new life boats instead. That would put a new spin on the muster drills that everyone loves to hate. Imagine tendering to shore in one of those things?

Babies12 you beat me to it. I thought it looked utterly ridiculous!

I understand they are trying different things as they finish the ship, but enough is enough. It will soon become a floating joke.

It's sooner than you think. It's been a joke.

I can see the headlines now:

Honeymoon couple lost at sea. Disaster strikes when hot air balloon breaks free.

Coast Guard calls off the search for survivors as balloon remnants found, shredded by sharks.

What I have seen in the photos is what looks more like a heliostat which is a statically tethered helium balloon much like those used for border security, weather instrumentation, etc. Maybe the darn thing is simply a way to get a camera up above the ship during sea trials so they can observe airflow, exhaust trails, etc. without the need of a helicopter. Just a thought.

I'm pretty open to trying alot of things, but I'm not real sure a balloon attached to the world's largest cruiseship would be something I would consider. It looks very strange and wouldn't seem very safe. Oasis looks awesome!!! It looks like the cruise itinararies I am considering for 2011 are on Oasis or sister ship Allure that I'm not even sure is being built yet.

What I have seen in the photos is what looks more like a heliostat which is a statically tethered helium balloon much like those used for border security, weather instrumentation, etc. Maybe the darn thing is simply a way to get a camera up above the ship during sea trials so they can observe airflow, exhaust trails, etc. without the need of a helicopter. Just a thought.

I'm with you!

Archived