Petrohue Falls and Chilean Lake District

ACJV

We walked up the ramp (very steep if tide is low) where the tenders drop you & took a taxi with another couple & had a fantastic tour. The falls are lovely but not huge, the setting is the thing with Osorno volcano as a backdrop. The whole lake district we found delightfull & well worth the trip, taxi was not expensive & driver very friendly.

We went to the falls on our trip last March, on the Infinity. The ride to the falls and volcano viewing is long. We ate lunch at a nice restaurant (outdoors) at the base of the volcano, but we did not see it due to low clouds. The falls are interesting, but a bit of a disappointment. You do see some unusual terrain, as the falls are in a section of black lava from the volcano. We also went to the German town on this private tour.

It was a long day.

We went and were glad we did. We drove nearly all the way around the north side of Llanquihue lake after stopping in both Puerto Varas and Frutillar. We were lucky and had a glorious sunny day and could see the Osorno volcano from across the lake as well as the Andes behind. We also drove to the falls, which I enjoyed very much. They are not very high, but they do flow through solid lava which is unusual, and there are many photo opportunities with Osorno in the background. Just be aware that the trial from the parking lot involves steps and walking across lava through a small wooded area...it is not wheelchair accessible nor accessible to those who have any problems walking on unevent ground, and you cannot see the falls from the parking lot. We did all of this in a private car with a driver in 6 hours and it was one of the best days of our trip. Be sure to make time for a little shopping at the craft fair near the pier...the best prices we found for woven goods on the entire trip.

Here are some photos of the falls and Osorno:

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/petrohue_falls_chile.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Vicki,

We enjoyed this tour. The water falls are small, more like big rapids. The views of the mountains from the falls and the drive out into the counrty was great. You can take a cab there if you don't want to take the ship's tour.

We are booked on the Amsterdam on February 26. Could you please post the excursion highlights here for all of us to enjoy. I would like to know how you booked your tours and which ones you enjoyed the most.

Karin from Ottawa, Canada

We used Eureka Turismo in Puerto Montt. We contacted them by e-mail, paid by credit card and scanned and e-mailed them a copy of our passport to verify. Picked us up at the dock (private car and driver...a nice Mercedes and English speaking driver), and they had us back at the dock on time. They offer ecotourism tours of a wide variety and are used to dealing with English speaking tourists.

Splinter, Minke, and anyone else....

I would like some info as to what your tours cost. I am trying to book a private tour (or combined, either way) for the 5 of us. I have emailed about 4 guides.

I feel that the pricing seems high, but maybe it isn't.

I am tempted to wait till we arrive at the pier and book with a driver then. My only concern is a) finding a driver who speaks some English and b) a van or something that fits all 5 of us.

A lot of the cruise critic member profiles no longer allow you to email other members. So if anyone can provide some information, please email me -- mystuff@horizonbound.com

THanks! I'm knee deep in planning. We leave in 3 weeks!

In Puerto Montt, has anyone tried GV Tours? I have read one good report from which they seem to offer very good value and service. However the web-site advises they need 50% deposit to book, which makes me a little cautious.

We are on Infinity Feb 13/05, B.A.-Valparaiso, which is coming up pretty soon, thankfully.

Anyone have an experience of GV Tours to share?

I went on the Todos los Santos/Petrohue Falls excursion and had a great time. The lake is beautiful and is one of the many lakes used to cross the Andes. Petrohue falls are interesting and the lava is amazing.

Our excursion included lunch at the lodge on the lake which was lovely - if you discount the odd dessert.

Also, there's a small vendor near the pier selling Alpaca products at very reasonable prices.

We paid $150 for the full day private car tour for the three of us, lunch not included. The ship's tours going to some of the same places were $98 per person. This was in 2001.

The shopping near the pier in Puerto Montt was the best (and best prices) of the entire tour if you are looking for native woven goods, etc.

• 5 months later...

About the Petrohue Tour i have to say that everything deppends on weather... the landscape is really pretty, if you like nature, the whole place is very green but the very best thing is to see 2 lakes and 3 volcanos in only one day, with a sunny and warm day the tour can be something perfect, ask me! in summer time i do it almost every day! (I am a shore excursion tour guide):)

Besides landscape, there's history and the shopping opportunities...

I miss this job!

Archived