Upgrade Fairy - Good Idea

mcduck

Hi. The upgrade fairy has called and asked if we would move from our two Deluxe Veranda Outsides on the Westerdam this weekend. We paid the single supplement for one cabin for our daughter.

They are offering a Deluxe Veranda Suite, Cabin 6167, the refund of the single supplement ($1,679) and $150 per passanger on board credit. Sounds great, except 6167 is on the stern of the ship and is a wheelchair cabin. The loss of the tub is no big deal.

We are wondering if anyone has had a suite on the back of the WDam or one of her two sister ships. We are concerned about noise/vibration, as well as ship movement. Also, anyone been in a wheel chair cabin?

We always have a wheelchair-accessible cabin -- out of necessity.

It is generally roomier than other cabins of the same level.

As you said, no bathtub - thre is a roll-in shower and a built-in seat, and the shower head is a handheld, but can be secured.

Not much else is different ... grab bars in the bathroom, and the toilet is probably higher.

There is an emergency pull-cord by the bed.

And the balcony has a little ramp.

Since I haven't been in a "regular" room, I can't tell you all the differences.

Hi "crew". Thanks for your comments - trust this board to put things in perspective.

HeatherInFlorida, while my wife and I are both professional accountants, we did not see the 6 - 1- 7 repetitions. Maybe we can win the big one with those numbers and charter a Dam ship for the entire board!

iowacruiser, how did you know my daughter just made her high school varsity basketball team?

bepsf - your sense of humour is priceless and had my daughter and I rolling on the floor in laughter. And the message came through loud and clear - it was really a visit from the upgrade fairy and Santa!

Our real concern was having the three of us working around one bathroom rather than two, and if there were any specific disadvantages to having a handicapped suite. BUT HAL is in effect paying us about $250 a day for this "hardship", so I am sure that we will be able to cope!

The upgrade it is.

As always - THANKS for the advice and the laughs!

McDuck

Archived